28 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2015 10:55 AM by foxglove RSS

Exposure within the community for personal blogs

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate
Currently Being Moderated

Copying painedplatinum, pluto77 on this as I can't branch comments on a blog, so I'm starting a new discussion.

Pained,

I think I see what you are saying, that when you create an entry in your blog, it doesn't appear on the Insider's home screen as recent activity, and likewise as well, with regards to photo albums created in one's own blog as opposed to the 'destinations' topic.  So in a certain sense, things created in one's own blog, gets no 'air play.'  I noticed the same thing, and as a result, sometimes I create blogs and photo albums in my own blog (LoFlo's Random Ramble), and other times I'll create them in the 'Discussions' topic, depending on my mood or perhaps how excited I am about sharing a post.

Andy, is there a way that threads and photo albums created under one's own blog can get the same exposure on the 'recent' list on the home page? communitymanager

I will certainly look into this for you as you've both provided excellent blog entries worthy of attention. I'm not sure why the personal blogs aren't appearing on the homepage but they do appear within the Activity | Marriott Rewards® Insiders. That's a good place to see the play-by-play of the community. It's not the same thing, but as you "follow" other Insiders you will see notifications of the activity like personal blogs. What’s the difference between tracking and following content?

As you find an interesting blog or author, you can "track it" to receive updates within your communications page. But a word of clarification - you can track both a blog and a blog post - the difference is notifications of future posts and notifications of comments to a single post. Two examples of the difference:

Travel Report from Near and Far

Australia 2012 Trip Wrap Up

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Exposure within the community for personal blogs
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Andy,

I'm not overly concerned about people seeing my specific blog. My point is more about finding a blog. I'm not aware of an area where a person can find "whole" blogs. For instance, when I click on "blogs", I find the most recent activity by entry. So, if a member, let's say razorbackfan, has an existing blog, but hasn't made an entry for a few weeks, I wouldn't even be aware of the existence unless I scroll back many pages. Wouldn't it be useful to have the "entire" blog come up if a new entry was made? I'm probably not explaining the issue well, but I wasn't even aware of half the bogs and I visit MRI multiple times a day.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks for clarifying and good point. I'll investigate and get back to you.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

NathalieF,

I am adding to this thread rather than starting a new one as the topic is related.  I have a suggestion related to blogs and the activity stream on the main page.

Currently, when someone comments on a blog post the main page still shows the blog author as the last author and their original post as the latest activity.  Is there a way to fix this so that the latest author is the last MRI to comment on the blog and the latest activity time would be when they commented?

We have some great bloggers, but their blogs are ending up buried within hours of posting because the system is not taking into account the comments that have been made to the blog post.

Thanks for considering this suggestion.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

NathalieF,

Any insights to my post above about whether we can prevent blogs from getting buried on the main page activity stream?

Thanks.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

erc's post spurred me to renew the effort of improving one of the best parts of the MRI site . . . BLOGS!

The frustration with blogs has been noted in previous threads:

Re: MR Insiders Blog List (In Progress)

and

MRI Blogs are Different!  Which one(s) do you like?

On March 3, 2014, in this thread, I asked our previous NathalieF Andy if we could look into the following:

"Currently, when someone comments on a blog post the main page still shows the blog author as the last author and their original post as the latest activity.  Is there a way to fix this so that the latest author is the last MRI to comment on the blog and the latest activity time would be when they commented?"

I never received a response, but am hoping our new NathalieF, The specified item was not found., or KatieC can look into this for us.  This would treat the blogs just like a regular thread and the great content posted there would not end up buried. 

Thanks for your consideration of this site improvement.

Hi jakeal - thanks for bringing this back up! I'm aware this is something Insiders have been asking for for quite some time. While it's not a quick fix or solution, I'm working on a way to make Blogs more prominent within the community as well as fixing the issue with the latest comment/MRI user appearing at the top of the feed. I agree, we have some excellent bloggers here on Insiders.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

It looks like this feature is now live. Let's celebrate. Thanks NathalieF. Great work, as always!

Thanks bejacob! You're right - after a lot of work and updates to the Insiders site, the update to Blog posts is finally live! As I mentioned previously, this seemingly small update actually takes a significant amount of work to complete. Blog posts now behave like discussions - if someone comments on an older blog post, it brings it back up to the top of the "big board" and displays the recent commentor's name.