11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2008 10:04 PM by traveldave21 RSS

Family Trip to DC

favrefan4ever Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Taking the family to DC for a week.  Of course we will cover many of the standard sites while there, but does anyone have a suggestion of a lesser known can't-miss exeperience that we should include?

• Re: Family Trip to DC
    jordzilla Platinum

Depends on how far you want to drive.  The obvious is the museums (natural history is great for the kids, especially if they are into dinosaurs and bugs; if you have girls they will love the diamonds!) cannot forget the FBI/SPY museum and the zoo. 

If you want to drive a couple hours, try Busch Gardens in williamsburg or head into williamsburg/jamestown and explore some amazing history (if you go and you like peanuts go the The Peanut Shop!).  

There is also the Baltimore Inner Harbor (home of the Orioles)--aquarium, maritime museum and so much more.

If you can make it...there is an ice cream shop called Milwaukee Frozen Custard (it is not like baskin robins or cold stone) in Virginia, worth the trip!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

julesk Gold

A lot depends on the age of your kids. Besides the standard Smithsonian museums (Air and Space, Natural History), the National Building Museum can be fun- on some weekends they do a lego building hands on exhibit. Other good Smithsonsians for kids are the Air and Space Annex in Chantilly (there is a shuttle for the main museum) and the Musuem of the American Indian.

If your kids are mature enough to deal with it, the Holocaust Musesm is amazing- they have a special section for kids over 8 (don't take your kids if they are younger than that).

If your kids are into other countries, the National Geographic Explorers Hall has fun things for kids to explore.

Many kids like the FDR memorial- I think maybe because of the water features.

If your kids like the outdoors, a day trip to Great Falls Park for hiking/rock climbing would burn energy.

If you want to catch a show while you are in town, the Kennedy Center normally has kids programs and Imagination Stage in Bethesda (can reach via metro) always has good shows for kids.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

xman333 Platinum

Went there last May; just me and my wife, we are in our 30s.  We had to stay away from the more visited sites due to so many school groups overwhelming the sites.  We liked the Art museum (I surprised myself, but not really for kids), Lincoln and WWII memorial at night (although may be cold depending on the time of year), and the Holocaust museum was very enlightening.  I can say that you should stay away from the aquarium at all costs, as it was very pathetic.

P.S. Brett Rules!!! 

deepfreeze Silver
    Take the subway to the King Street Station and visit Old Town Arlington. They have a nighttime guided walks through Old Town. There are some great shops in the area. If you want to experience great tastes walk and try the different cafes and eateries in Adams Morgan, its a ten minute walk from Dupont Circle.

travelhungry Silver
    Try the Air and Space Museum near Dulles Airport.  If your family has interests in this area it should be a wonderful day!  My DH can't stay away from the place.  If you like civil war history there is Manasas battlefield too.  Enjoy!

beadlady Member

Definately you should go to the FBI building tour,  the Mint Is very interesting,  and also the spy meauseum.  Those are ones that you and your children will love.  The space meausem is interesting.  There are so many to choose from, but these are ones that the kids will be happy with.

Pack a picnic and go to the Cherry Blossoms if you are going in April.  that is a sight for sore eyes. 

charprn Silver
    I recommend the war memorials - WWII, WWI, Korean, Vietnam. I also found the FDR Memorial and Holocaust Museum very interesting.

soslow Platinum
    My girls have always enjoyed the Zoo (free with pay parking, but can walk to Metro). Amusement Parks are another option. 6 Flags is closest, but least desireable. Other options are Paramount's King's Dominion (1 hour South with plenty of coasters), Hershey Park (1.5 Hours North with lotsa of options for little kids), and Busch Gardens (2.5 Hours South and plenty of options in Williamsburg for the parent who doesn't like amusement parks. It's a very long day trip, but do-able.)

syindie Gold
    Hello!  I really enjoyed the International Spy Museum as it was interactive and extremely interesting.  www.spymuseum.org

ncinsider Platinum
    It is not an "off the beaten path" location, but you MUST go to the Jefferson Memorial at night. Sit on the edge of the memoral and tidal basin and you can see how the city is layed out. You can see in a straight line from the Lincoln memorial all the way to the Capitol building.

traveldave21 Member
    We are planning a family trip to DC in May and will stay at the Marriott at the Dulles airport.  Has anyone stayed at this Marriott and any suggestions for the kids 12 and 10? 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...