25 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2012 1:51 AM by alrenaissance RSS

Points for Parking Charges?

taxman415 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone know the official policy wether you should get points for parking charges at a Marriott Resort... It seems to be inconsistent.. Sometime I get the points ad sometimes I do not...

Thanks...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Points for Parking Charges?
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Don't know about a policy, but like you, I have also found it to be inconsistent.  I've been told that if the parking function is outsourced to a vendor, then no points.  The thing that bothers me either way is that I'm paying for that service on my Marriott bill so I think points ought to be awarded.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I can remember the time when anything charged to your bill got points and then little by little they stopped.  I go to a hotel, eat at a restuarant and get points and return and don't.  Even when I ask, they don't always know.  I have gotten different answers when I ask different people.  I suspect that the vendor has to pay extra when we get points and if they refuse, we don't.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

This is accurate.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I've found an inconsistency in the parking fees for some Marriotts when outsourced, too.  In the Columbia, SC Marriott, you pay $5 or so a day for in / out parking pass into the city garage that connects to the building on the 2nd floor.  The parking is free from 5 pm on Fridays until 8 am on Mondays, but they'll still try charging for Sat. and Sun. unless you say something.  They've then taken it off the bill for me.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

taxman:

I don't believe (because I haven't seen it) that there is an offocial policy. But, like husker said, if I paid Marriott for it, I would expect to get the points. I would suggest contacting customer service regarding the 'shortage' of points applied to your account for the charges paid.

I have found lately that I have to check everything from EQN credit to point values being correct because there does seem to be some changes going on in these areas with proper credit being applied...as your question suggests.

daleafs16 Platinum 8 Reviews

I have been getting points for my parking.  It's paid through my room bill as a valet charge.  If I paid directly I wouldn't get the charge and points.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

two fairly recent examples of paying for valet parking with my Marriott hotel bill, but not being awarded points for those dollars spent occurred at the JW Marriott Grand Lakes in Orlando and the MaRRIOTT downtown in Raleigh.  I asked about this and was given the standard line about the parking function being contracted out and that it appeared on my hotel bill as a convenience.  In each case, I think I was awarded some bonus points of approx double what I would have earned otherwise.  I remember the same situation a few years ago at the Marriott World Center in Orlando.  I'm sure there are others.  So if you're getting rewards points based on your parking bill, in my experience that's unusual.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I despise paying exorbitant fees to park..I'll walk three blocks and park up the street if I have to... Anyway, It's a rare occasion that I have paid for parking through my Marriott invoice and received points. Most of the time it has been as Husker noted, outside vendor.

I also hate to pay high fees to park and will walk from a free parking spot.  Sometimes that is not possible and then I do have to.  When I was in Philly, I just rented a car for a day and returned it that evening and that way didn't pay the $45/day to park.  I did that several times during my stay and used the train to get to and from the airport.

Hmmmmm...that's an interesting strategy...I'll have to give that a think.

Pained,

Renting a car for a day at a time was less expensive than several days and paying the parking cost which seems to get higher all the time.

Cali,

I am sure the economics work out. Now if the actual time acquiring the vehicle isn't prohibitive, I'm sure it's worth the trouble.

The hotel I stayed at had an on site Hertz rental.  I am gold and just pick the car up and return it in the night drop.  It was faster than waiting for valet.

I like your thinking!

That reminds me of the story online of a woman who goes into a bank in NYC to borrow $2000 on her new Jag for 2 weeks and insists they park it in their garage for protection.  When she gets back, she repays the $2000 and the nominal interest happily.  They ask her about it and she says it's a lot cheaper than paying for parking while she went on a trip.

I like this one!

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

LOL! Nice! I have never heard that story, but certainly understand it.

I have always gotten points for anything on my folio except for taxes during any stay, including parking.

Al,

Where have you been, Cambodia?

Hi PP!

Thanks for asking hwere I have been. Makes me feel missed! LOL!

I have been really busy with work, girlfriend, and some more hobby pursuits. I hope you have been well, and I have not meant to be neglectful of the forum, but just need a litttle break to take care of some business and stay focused.

I really look forwards to becoming more active, as I miss the forum and the people on it. I have been monitoring more then participating as of lately, but I mean for that to change!

please tell me something interesting about what you have been doing in the last few months so that I feel like I am somewhat cought up to daye a bit.

I miss everyone!

I know there is a lot to gripe about Marriott thinga as of lately, and I am still personally bummed out about the whole EEp thing, as I especially use to partake in the BOGO dinners at some of the fine restraunts, even more so then the BOGO weekend nights. I really liked both, but some of the Renaissance dining that I have been to is fit for a king (or Queen!) I am still Marriott loyal, period, although I have about 1,250,000 Hilton points which I have been sitting on for a few years. I make sure I add to the account through the various easy ways to do it (even Coke rewards has an offer now which makes it easy to get tens of thosands of points, to keep the account active.)

You will be hearing more from me in the near future, and I realy do miss contributing to the community

Thanks again for taking the time to drop me a line. I really appreciate it..

Funny you mentioned Cambodia, as I was able to get one of my good friends a VISA into Laos for awhile through the Canadian consulate recently, 2 actually, for his buddy also, for a cool $10 each!  I guess anything ias possible.

Who did you vote for in the photo contest?

I had to go with Pittsburgh, od course, but there really was some fantastic entries and photos.

Let me know what you have been up to. I would really like to know to get me back into the swing of things.

Take care

Your buddy, Al

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Al,

We sure do miss you!

Good to hear you are doing well.

Let us know what has been and what is up with you.

Hi Jerry! Miss you guys/gals as well!

I was down Sanibel Island again a couple weeks ago and thought of you as I purchased an 1808 East India Company coin for about $45.  It is just so cool to think how old the coin is and what it has seen. I have always had an inherant interest for coins before 1825 for some reason (many years ago I just decided on that arbitray date, but really anything at least 200 years old.)  LOL!

It says "x.cash" on the other side. From some shipwreck which I remember hearing something about some years ago.

It is not the actual cost of the coin but the history and that it is real which never ceases to amaze me.

I also think that it saying "East India Trading Company" is too neat too, as I remember that name mentioned so often while growing up in history classes.  Has a lot of mystique and tradition..

Hope you are well also.. I will check in more often as I am keeping an "Insiders" link right in my inbox so I can kind of jump in anytime when I have a minute at work (or play!!!!)

Talk to ya soon, my friend!  - AL

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I usually get points for parking on my stays!!!

Same here.  If its not there, I insist on it.

Is it off topic to ask about handicapped parking privileges at Marriott locations and resorts?  Some cities have free parking for handicapped plates or stickers as do some resorts.  I was wondering about this with Marriott.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...