14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2012 4:35 PM by artisttraveler RSS

Athens, Crete and a Certificate Question

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I've decided!  My business class free flight goes to Athens where I'll stay one night, then because it's Thanksgiving weekend Sunday I have to stay overnight coming home in Amsterdam.  But I am flying from Athens to Crete and staying at the Galaxy in Heraklion, near the Palace of Knossos and the Archaeological Museum.  (I got a ridiculously low price of $390 for the Aegean air flight and 3 nights at what appears to be an excellent hotel on Expedia.)

But another issue arose, and I want to see if you have any ideas of what's happening.  When I went to Athens Ledra for my one night in Athens, I saw it was a Cat 5 hotel.  Well, guess what? I still have my normally unusable Cat 5 Marriott Chase Premier cert, so I called the Platinum line.  The woman I spoke to was very nice but kept asking me if I didn't want to do the pointsavers instead. I kept saying, no I want to use the credit card cert.  I asked her if I needed to get it in the mail (that part of the system seems old-fashioned, as does having to call for it), and she said no.  But when I look at my reservation, it says I have to request the certificate and that I am staying on points+cash.  Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks! ProfChiara;

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Athens, Greece Marriott Hotels & Resorts Athens Ledra Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Athens, Crete and a Certificate Question
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Prof -- I don't know what's going on (imagine that), but if it were me, I would call back to platinum reservations and work my way up to a supervisor.  I've had very good success with that approach, and although it's time consuming, it's worth the effort.  good luck!  Others will have this problem in the future so please let us know how it turns out for you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Prof, I agree with Husker, call back to insure you know what you know and they agree.

Now, here's what I think...... The certificate is electronic. The hotel has it on "file". I believe that "have to request" language was on my reservation a couple weeks back where I used a certificate..there were no problems at checkin.  As far as "staying on cash+points", not sure but that may be the new language that will show on all point stays. let us know what the folks on the phone say, if you choose to call.

Hi all,

I did call again this morning, explained the situation, and the agent I spoke with said it was indeed my unused certificate that was being applied 'even though it doesn't show up that way in emails or reservation information.'  She said, unlike my reservation, that I don't have to order anything.  But here's what my reservation looks like for the Ledra:

Summary of Charges

PointSavers Hotel Reward:  1 Night Category 5 PointSaver 1 20,000
    •   Total points for stay: 
      Summary of Room Charges    Cost per night per room (EUR)
    • Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - Thursday, November 22, 2012
    • (1 night) 
      Marriott Rewards points
    (see Reward Description) 
    PointSavers, eCertificate required prior to check in
    Estimated government taxes and fees
    •   Included 
    Total for stay (per room)
    • Included

You do not have e-certificate(s) for this reservation.

Please order e-certificate(s) now to ensure your stay is covered.

If you have not ordered e-certificate(s) 7 days prior to your stay, e-certificate(s) will be auto-ordered for you.

All I can say, is fortunately this will all happen at the Athens Ledra, because I would doubt almost any other hotel in the world to see that and not deduct 20,000 points. At least I know there that they have a phenomenal staff that always goes over the top to help you.

But Andy, can't something be done to make this process simpler when using Chase certificates or bonus certificates?

ProfChiara

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

This would concern me, too.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Prof,

You are right to question this email.  This email makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, in light of the fact that you are using a Cat.5 reward certificate.  Even though the agent confirmed that your Cat. 5 cert was being used, and not points, what you have here in writing would indicate otherwise.  This creates much confusion and drama - and I hope Marriott is listening - it would be the source of a time and resource drain for Marriott customer service with all of the calls that would be generated as a result of the confusion this causes.  Not to mention the lack of good feeling on the part of the customer.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

I'll check into it profchiara

Thanks, Andy -- mine doesn't look at all like what TEF's does in the other discussion question I posed.  It seems to me it shouldn't say 20,000 pts anywhere.  That was what was quoted last night to me as a pointsaver reward, and I didn't feel I got through to the person I was speaking to that I wanted to use a free credit card certificate.  So I checked this morning with another, yet it still shows up with that 20,000 pts listed.

ProfC

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Hi Prof:

Sorry, I just saw this thread as I have been 'traveling' and not looking at MRI every night. I agree this looks like a problem and that points are being used for this reservation. I HAVE received the language when using an e-certfifcate AND/OR points stays that says to order the certificate but the confirmation always has said that it was ordered electronically for me and will be delivered electronically to the hotel. Is the e-certificate still showing as available on your actvity page at marriott.com?

That did seem odd so Customer Care looked into the reservation and has now attached your cat 5 certificate . The pointsavers option was ultimately reserved but without attaching any point certificate which is why you were asked to purchase one. I'm not sure if this change will immediately appear in your account but you should now be set.

Hi Andy,

So it should be okay?  Everything still looks the same, and it appears that my Certificate is still available for use on my Account Activity page, plus the 20,000 still listing.  But I can just ask them to call you if there are any problems in Athens, okay?  Efkharisto! ProfChiara

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Prof,

Way to use that free Cat. 5 certificate!  Outstanding.

Give it until tomorrow and contact Customer Care if your account is not updated by then. They'll be able to verify your reservation and account.

artisttraveler Gold 17 Reviews

I have found that what's shown on-line vs. what a Customer Service rep sees can be different. I have found this to be true when I have wanted to use a particular certificate from multiple in the account, i.e., wanted to use a Cat 4 instead of the Cat 5 which had the earlier expiration date. My on-line account will show the "wrong" certificate being used or that points are  being used, but when I talk to a rep, I have been assured that the correct cert is being pulled. So far, what the rep has told me has been what has actually happened - and, again, what was shown on-line was wrong. Bottom line: go with what the Customer care rep tells you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...