23 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2012 9:05 PM by razorbackfan RSS

Uncle Sam wants YOU.......

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

District D-20120221-00176.jpg

.....to vote in the Hometown Photo Album contest!     Lady Liberty wants you to vote, too!  She knows how much time and effort it takes to post an entry.  Show them you care and VOTE.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
  • Re: Uncle Sam wants YOU.......

I'll even save you some time, here is the link..
    http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/polls/1176

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Razorbackfan,

Well done.  Very good post.  I am surprised at how few vote in these contests.  The prizes are not small.  It would be nice for it to be a real competitive contest, and I too hope more Insiders will vote.  As I read your post, I saw 12 views, and I hope they all are voting!

Love your costumes!  Happy Labor Day.

Thank you, Pluto.  I enjoyed entering the contest, but since so few people vote, I don't know if it is worth my time to enter.  The total votes at 6 P.M. is 23.  When I originally posted, there were 21 votes.  There were 363 views, so MRI's are looking, but not voting.   We enjoy dressing up for Mardi Gras, 4th of July, etc.

I hope you had a great day.  It was really hot here; however, we didn't get any rain so that is a good thing.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I voted!

Thank you, Cal.

Yes, Cal, thanks for voting.  Only 23 people have cast votes.  Do you have any suggestions for encouraging people to vote?

Possibly the reason for not voting is they didn't set up an objective.  We just took pictures and Marriott somehow picked out 10.  We have no idea on why they picked those that they did.  When I looked at the pictures, it was hard to vote because I was unsure what I was looking for in deciding.  Was I looking for the most colorful, the most different, something that I would want to see, etc?

Normally in a contest, the judges have guidelines on how to select a winner.  We were not given any when we took our pictures and have not been given any in judging.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

razor,

Ask Andy to let me vote more than once and I'll get those totals cooking.

pained, here in Louisiana, they tell us to vote early and often.....

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

For the record, I voted.  But a contest like this produces so many beautiful photos!  I'm not a picture taker so I particularly enjoy looking at all of these.

Thanks for voting, nuhusker.  I agree about the beautiful pictures.  I enjoyed looking at almost all the original entries.

This has been my soapbox for the day and I'll keep my mouth closed in the future.

It is nice to have a cheerleader.  I appreciate your efforts even if I am not in the final part of the contest.  I, too, spent time driving around taking pictures.  Mine got a few comments and that was it.  It is nice to share but it would be nice to have votes.

But you raise a good point.  The prize is a nice sized one, and you would expect more of a contest.  If say perhaps even a couple of hundred people voted, there would probably be, you know, an entry farther out in front.

Cal brings up a very good point as does Husker.  More guidelines would be helpful, and yes, photos are always fun to look at!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I voted, but I think everyone should win! The submissions are really nice photos.

Hi Tef,

I haven't had a chance to check on them; hope your Bosoxers are making you proud out here in the west.

Hi Pluto:

Let's just say I have visited some nice cities and enjoyed some wonderful weather! Especially since my Sox have lost every game until last night when....they actually won! But, it's been a fun experience........thanks for asking!

Well then, sounds like you've had some delicious cake, but without the icing.  Just to get it off my chest, I really, really love and miss Seattle.  (Just a wee bit envious.)

Your trip reminds me, I am thinking of using a soon to expire e-cert at the Marriott in downtown Oakland near Jack London Square.  Have you or anyone else stayed there?  Curious about how safe it would be to walk the half mile to the water.  According to the hotel webpage, there is a bart station right across the street.

I've never stayed in Oakland. Never thought there was much there. Always stay in San Francisco because there is so much more to see and do. Am I missing something? From what I see when riding the Bart to the games, the city doesn't look very inviting. Lot's of graffiti and 'slum looking' areas when riding. The Bart station is probably on the Pittsburgh-Bay Point lne. I always take Bart to the games in Oakland from SF. Why not stay in SF and BART it to Oakland for a visit??

In keeping with my mantra that no Cat. 4 certificate shall ever be wasted, am considering Oakland, as there are no Cat. 4's in the city.  I have heard some nice things about Jack London Square, and the photos on the Oakland Marriott webpage look rather nice.  It looks to be a half mile or less from the bay.  The bart is across the street.  I just don't know if it's in a nice part of downtown or a not so nice part (although nice and not so nice are often delineated by just one street.)  So I was just wondering about it.  I was also curious, because the Amtrak Pacific Starlight line (to Seattle) can be picked up from Jack London Square in Oakland.  I also thought that might be something fun to do at some point.

Many cities have bad areas.  I used a free e-certificate at the CY in the San Diego Gas Lamp district and was warned about going a half block in one direction because it was a bad area.  So I didn't go that way just the other and all was fine.  If you choose to stay there, ask what precautions you should take.

Have you considered Sacramento?  I was there this summer and took a state capitol tour and really enjoyed it.  I also went to Old Sacramento and that was nice too.  I would expect that there are some cat 4 hotels there.

Cal,

Sacra 'pimento' is definitely a fun place to visit!  The RI at Capitol Park comes to mind.  Capitol Park is beautiful, Old Town is nice, and I enjoy the train museum.  Also great dining and night life.  My bro lives there too!  Alas, it's not an option.  Must.  Get.  Out.  Of.  The.  Central.  Valley.  Neverending.  Heat.

Ha.  This is a bit wild...  NYT has Jack London Square at the #5 position for top 45 places to go in 2012.    Not sure if I would agree with that, but it's a nice little write up.  Just did a google street view waltz down Broadway street from the Oakland Marriott to Embarcadero.  It looks fine.  I'm an urban adventurer.  We can walk to JLS just to satisfy curiousity, check out the dining venues and do some recon for a possible future Coast Starlight Amtrak adventure out of that station, then bart into the city, later bart back to the Marriott.  Or maybe stay a second night in the city.  Yep.  Definitely a second night.  (I wonder if that's what Marriott is ever hoping...   Now to sell it to my Mr. Man.

It is hard to use just 1 nt.  That is why we look for a place close to home.  I would expect that many do add another nt.  I have.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Years ago, we walked all over Jack London Square with no problems at night.  We liked to eat at El Toro Restaurant across the street from there.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...