12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2012 2:03 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Freiburg, Germany

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

There are no Marriott's other than Basel, Switzerland nearby, but this is another wonderful place to visit.  From here you can visit the Black Forest, Alsace-Lorraine, or your choice.

The downtown is loaded with interesting places to dine, shop and visit.  I had two very memorable dinners there as well as a wonderful time in the Black Forest.  Here goes:

HPIM0630.JPG

The duck is wonderful at this place in Freiburg, Germany

HPIM0631.JPG

This is a special place, without being expensive!

HPIM0540.JPG

For real German food, this place was exceptional and not expensive!

HPIM0534.JPG

Wonderful downtown!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Basel, Switzerland
Freiburg, Germany
  • Re: Freiburg, Germany
    sg1974 Gold

Yes Freiburg is nice. There are so many beautiful little places in the black forest.

Baden Baden, Calw to name a few were very pictureseque.

For those with kids Europa park, 20 minute drive from Freiburg is also worth a visit.

Loved the food in this region, great photo!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sg1974,

Thanks for the comment!

There is the most wonderful roadside park in Baden-Baden, it is a great place to stop and relax before crossing the Rhine into France from Germany.  Wish I ha a picture, but I don't.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

jerrycoin,

Thank you for posting the pictures and info on dining in Freiburg.

gm1,

Thank-you for commenting on the pictures.  Here are a few more of that lovely city.

HPIM0523.JPG

The cheese shops were fantastic in Freiburg!

HPIM0525.JPG

Street musicians and characters made the downtown walk very exciting!

HPIM0528.JPG

Entertainers where everywhere!  I think they go to Key West in the Winter and Freiburg in the Summer.

HPIM0530.JPG

They do enjoy their beer and entertainment.  This was no holiday, just a normal day!

HPIM0538.JPG

Best "Pot Roast" of beef you could imagine, in Freiburg, the picture does not do the meal real justice!

Again, a great place to visit!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

now I'm starving.........  thanks Jerry!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

German food is the absolute best!

shoeman,

You are too funny, but the food was very good!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Jerry,

Thank you(!) for posting these photos and the information.  Great stuff.

Question for anyone here,

1. Do they post the menus in English or do the proprietors speak English?  I seem to have a hard time with ordering food in Germany, and have ended up with 'surprise' dishes.

2. Can anyone recommend hotels in either Freiburg, Baden-Baden, or Colmar?

Sg,

You must be referring the amusement park north of Freiburg, correct?

sg1974 Gold

We stayed in the Best Western in Freiburg it was okay. The location was good between the train station and old town. Everything was within walking distance.

For the northern black forest area we stayed in the Renaissance in Karlsruhe which is about a 30 minute drive north of Baden Baden.

The hotel is a bit aged, but we stayed in a junior suite room which was massive.

Many of the menus will be in German, but we generally found a member of staff that could explain.

Also I put some of the menus through google translate before our trip and found that did help.

Yes Europa Park is north of Freiburg.

We had a really enjoyable day there, good fun for all ages.

pluto77,

I have really never had a problem finding menu's in English.  A lot of the times they are posted by the front door, and often in multiple languages.  Sometimes, I have had the front desk call for me to assure that not only am I coming, but have an English menu for me.  Most of your better places offer menu's in English.

I cannot remember the wonderful hotel I stayed in Freiburg.  It was right downtown not far from the beautiful church.  If I find it I will forward it to you.  It was not expensive.

You wil find a lot of places to choose from on google.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Super job, JC

Thanks PP!

It was a great place to visit!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...