9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2012 8:20 PM by erc RSS

Review of Portland Marriott City Center (Portland, OR)

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We just stayed at the Portland, OR Marriott City Center this last week and I have to say it was a wonderful stay.  We were using our free annual Category 5 stay, and we called ahead a day in advance of arrival and asked if they had a Platinum upgrade available.  They replied that they did, and when we arrived at check-in, we were helped by Taylor.  She asked us if we were staying on points, and I mentioned we were staying on our free certificate.  She thanked us for being Platinum, asked if we'd like welcome points or a welcome item, and put us in a corner suite on the 17th floor.  I mentioned to her that I realized the CL was probably closed  because it was a Friday night, and she said it was, but she would be happy to give us breakfast vouchers for all 3 of us, and even threw one in for our daughter who was going to meet us for breakfast.  Taylor's handling of us really made us feel valued as a Platinum member and really made our stay.  When we went to breakfast the next morning, there was a wonderful buffet and we were allowed to order custom omelets, or other things from the kitchen.  When our visiting daughter got tied up because of traffic and was going to arrive after the breakfast closed, our waiter, Emanuel had them keep the kitchen open to cook her food to order when she showed up 15 minutes late.  Talk about great service!!

This moved to the top of our favorite places to stay in Porland, OR, when we go back to visit.  Room upgrade, good check-in, and 4 free weekend breakfasts (value $64.00), all from using a free annual night stay.  Other Marriott Hotels could take a lesson from this one!

PortlandMarriottCityCenterRoom.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Portland, Oregon, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Portland Marriott City Center
  • Re: Review of Portland Marriott City Center (Portland, OR)
    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Nice review.  Glad you were treated so well.  Other Marriotts should take lessons.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Excellent Tryt!!   It feels good being appreciated. I, like many on Insiders, will certainly look forward to staying in this hotel. Their small investment in making your stay memorable has brought them thousands in your write up and future room nights from your friends on here.

I agree.  I even went as far as calling the reservations desk and sending them a link to this review to show them we all appreciate their good service and exemplary appreciation of their frequent members.  They were going to forward this on to theGM and the employees who did such an outstanding job, and I think they will see that a little extra service and appreciation goes a long way, and means money in their pockets, in the form of more MI members looking to stay at these kinds of places!

erc Platinum

tryt

Forwarding the link on is a tremendous idea. Perhaps we can drag benefits and good service thru the system at the grass roots level. Rather than waiting for the MBA's at Intergalactic to grant us loyalty recognition, maybe by indicating to the progressive customer oriented properties that their focus on customer service is financially rewarding (let's tell them when we check in) we can establish a win-win scenario for everyone. The Portland Marriott City Center will certainly be my hotel of choice. Thanks for the post and thanks to the staff at the City Center for reminding us of the good ol' days.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

It was great that you had a wonderful experience.  Do they still have a Champions in the hotel? 

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Jerry,

I did see a lounge on the 2nd floor, but I don't think it's a Champions.  I just checked their website and they don't mention that it's there either, so I'm guessing they didn't renew their contract there?  Seems like I've heard somewhere else that Champions had pulled out of some Marriott locations.  I'd love to hear if anyone else has heard similar things about Champions.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

tryt53,

I have to tell you I really enjoyed all of the Champions locations.  Mostly bar food, but I really had great experiences and good food in Portland, Munich, and Warsaw at Champions.  I am sure there were more, but these three come to mind.

By the way, I asked the waiter "Why is salmon so more expensive in Portland, where it is abundant, than St. Louis". His response, a classic, "We get ours further up the river"!  What a line!

erc Platinum

Champions in Charlotte City Center and one at the BWI Airport Marriott, both nice, are the ones I know about.The one in the Atlanta Marquis is gone.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

tryt:

Now, that's service! Nice to hear your stay and treatment was so good. You're right...other Marriotts could certainly learn from the example set at this hotel!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...