3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2012 11:37 AM by erc RSS

Mileage Plus - Earn 3X Award Miles with Marriott Rewards ???

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone made use of this deal being offered by MileagePlus to earn 3 X Award Miles with Marriott Rewards?

For a Marriott stay which I have coming up on Friday, is it a better deal to take the Marriott Reward points, or take 3 X the Mileage Plus miles??

Hopefully I am interpreting the text of the email below correctly.

"Don’t wait — register for Marriott Rewards MegaMiles today. Now through October 31, 2012, you’ll earn triple MileagePlus® award miles at more than 3,600 participating hotels worldwide beginning with your second stay. "

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Mileage Plus - Earn 3X Award Miles with Marriott Rewards ???
    erc Platinum

Gem

I'm glad you posted this. I get these often and each time I click just to see what it's all about, I'm told, sorry, our mistake, you weren't supposed to get this - you're not eligible. I always figured it was since I had chosen Marriott reward points instead of United/flyer miles. Have you ever clicked the link and been given the option to switch back and forth (since I'm assuming you're a current hotel points player also)?

I too am eager to hear from the Insider veterans on what's the scoop.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Usually the Marriott points deal is always better, as the mileage point awards are fairly low.

I usually end up comparing them with with 2 quantitative measures

• what it costs to buy miles
      • how many points it takes to redeem an award and how much cost I avoid by doing this.

Before doing this, I was going to check to see if anyone else has done it, if there is anything I am overlooking, etc.

Also, there is the qualitative factor, that I stay in hotels more than I fly, as I also travel alot by train.

erc Platinum

Thanks good stuff. I'll await input by the others.  Once again, beating the Flyertalk Marriott forum drum again, (yes, I realize that although I'm like the blind squirrel finding the obvious acorn and came to the party late - it is a terrific tool), I saw there was an Amtrak 10% discount for buying Marriott Gift Cards - just as an FYI. I don't know the terms, but I didn't get the impression you had to travel Amtrak, realizing given your travel stories, you're probably Orient Express or bullet train - ha ha.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...