12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2012 10:30 PM by razorbackfan RSS

Fairfield Inn & Suites Downtown Chicago

kaitlinh Marriott Associate Member
Currently Being Moderated

I'll be staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites in downtown Chicago this weekend and I'll be sure to post a review once I'm back. In the meantime, does anyone have any good restaurant recommendations or must see attractions other than the typical Navy Pier or Aquarium ideas?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Chicago, Illinois, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
  • Re: Fairfield Inn & Suites Downtown Chicago
    erc Platinum

I enjoyed the architecture cruise (out of the pier) and the hop on / hop off bus tours, one of the stops is the visitor center near you, inside not only great info, but a good view of the original Water Tower that survived the fire. If shopping is your thing, the water tower place vertical mall or the 900 Michigan Ave. shops are worth a look and just up Michigan west on Oak (left at the Drake) and Rush, upscale fashion and shops. Cafe Spiaggia, in my opinion, is just as good as it's full service Spiaggia and much less expensive, Frankie's for fun dining, and Grand Lux are all near your hotel and good meals/times. Some terrific shows, Broadway in Chicago and Shakespeare at Pier etc. Be sure to check goldstar events in Chicago (goldstar.com) - excellent deals and ideas. Bike rentals and riding Lake Shore is a blast - if time permits. Chicago's terrific in the summer. Have fun.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

kaitlinh,

You will enjoy the FF, the rooms are small, but the location is wonderful.

One place you should at least have a refreshment is The John Hancock's 95th floor.  It is really a spectacular place, and the food is very good.  If you dine, call for a reservation and try to get a window table.  Price about $40-50 PP for dinner.  Brunch is also very special.

With the money you may be saving, and if you want to really splurge, go right next door to Les Nomades.  It is a brownstone dining experience, and is price fixed at around $100 PP.

I did not like Spaggia's at all, and would never go back.  You may want to at least see the Drake.  They have a great place for a luncheon in their fashionable basement. 

Have a wonderful time!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I've always enjoyed the Sate of Illinois building.    As far as food.  The Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co. at 2121 N. Clark St is nice. They have Pizza Pot Pie and phenomenal Mediterranean Bread.

Looking forward to the trip and will definitely try some of these suggestions. Thanks everyone.

Had a fantastic stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown this past weekend. The location is perfect and just a couple blocks from the Michigan Ave. It was far enough not to be too loud at night, but an easy walk and you were smack in the heart of it all. The rooms were a bit small by Fairfield standards, but actually pretty large by Chicago standards. The hotel staff was fantastic and very welcoming. There was always someone to greet us at the door or hail us a cab when we needed one. They also had a great breakfast spread and decent sitting area, one of the larger ones I've seen. Also, the hotel keycard itself also offered a $2 discount on a Shedd Aquarium ticket which was a nice touch!

As far as dining options, we tried to stay true to Chicago ended up walking around Navy Pier. Definitely touristy and a bit chaotic, but nice view for a cocktail. I wouldn't do more than a drink though, dining wise there are much better options elsewhere. We had lunch at Portillos which is as true a Chicago Dog as you can get! It's a bit loud and busy, but a fun atmosphere, decently priced and a perfect stop for a delicious casual meal. Dinner was at Shaw's Crab House (about 7 blocks from the hotel). I was less impressed with this place and think your money is better spent at Joe's Stonecrab place just down the street. Thought I'd try something different and ended up regretting that one. Overall, great trip and a great stay and a hotel that I could definitely repeat the next time I'm in town.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Kaitlin,

Thanks for completing the "Loop" and giving us your recap. It's great when people share real life experiences....By the way, I love Portillo's, Those are the best hotdogs on Earth!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

kaitlinh,

Glad to hear you had a great time!

My experience was exactly like yours.  Never made it to Portillo's nor Shaw's Crab House, but will try them the next trip!

Thanks for the information!

pevers Platinum 2 Reviews

Joe's Stonecrab is one of my favourite Chicago restaurants. Pricey, but still reasonable. And the food is excellent. I rate it as a high value location.

When I stay in downtown Chicago. I like the SpringHill/Residence Inn River North. The two hotels share a single building with a  almost common lobby.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...