19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2012 5:09 PM by jasper100 RSS

BOGO

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

It seems that the community manager decided to close the previous thread discussing the BOGO program.  I was surprised that the tread would be closed without any effort to update us on the program.  very strange.  anyway, let's use this thread to continue the conversation.

shoeman

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: BOGO
    erc Platinum

At the risk of pushing BOGO offers further down and off the screen, you are the man - Shoeman. Great catch!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes. Very Strange...Why would the Community Manager shut down this thread...I know Marriott is very embarrassed about how BOGO is being handled, but to shut down this thread seems odd. I personally don't believe it has run its course at all. Next thing you know, further censor will be done on other areas like Breakfast on Weekends, Suite upgrades, etc. This is a very sad turn of events on insiders and makes me wonder whether it is worth continuing to be a participant on this site!!!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Hi shoeman,

Yes, definitely not the way to close a topic.  Maybe there was another reason it was closed?  I'm going to include NathalieF to see if we can shed some light on why that thread was closed?

erc Platinum

Jasper and Shoeman

Yes, it did seem unnecessarily Putinesque.

I just read the response to the closing of the BOGO topic on Flyertalk (Marriott Concierge is a board member - so no talking out of school on my behalf), quite an eye opener.

Veteran traveler am I? yes; veteran deal guy am I? yes; but veteran Marriott deal guy with the intricacies of some of those Flyertalk players (many who are Marriott Insiders), whew, I look like what a broker would call a piker. My frustration pales in comparison to those travelers representing substantial revenue streams.

I sure hope recognition of Marriott patronage is not only honored (remember, Honored Guests was the predecessor) when occupancy rates, earning streams, and stock prices are declining. Marriott is still an excellent quality provider, which is important to me, especially since I lose any trade off leverage with other firms as my travels cut back (although, I am prepared to go long on friends' homes and short on Marriott stays if forced). I just hope this excellent service provider isn't going the route of several airlines that squeeze space and sell you the former coach seat as a preferred with a mark up.

Right before posting, saw tryt's post, good idea tryt.

blava007 Platinum

I guess the only way Marriott can “Save Face” is to shut down the Discussion since there were so many; Stay tuned, update and news in 60 days, we are working on it, it’s being reviewed, etc.

It's a shame the way Marriott selected to communicate with loyal Marriott customers; it would have been better to be open, forthright and straight.  “The Marriott management team reviewed the BOGO and selected not to extend or renew the options”.   

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

No news on BOGO but we're still advocating on your behalf. The earlier timelines obviously didn't work out and you've called us on that but we can promise you'll be the first to know whenever there is news.

Noted and understood.  May we respectfully ask that you not shut down this thread as long as it has legs???? 

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

shoeman:

Glad you 're-opened' the BOGO thread. I think, as you must, that it's important for us to keep these issues right in the open and keep the pressure on for answers.

Thanks!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

especially in light of the new news article posted from USA Today on the new program allowing you to link your paid reservation to your points reservation.

Looks like they think BOGO is buy one get one free from using our own points!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I miss BOGO as much as anyone; however, it really doesn't change my impression of Marriott.  It was my understanding that we could use them only 1 time when they were available and I really have gotten the feeling that some people were using them over, and over, and over.  I always wondered how that could happen if we had to make the reservation through a reservations agent on the phone and had to tell them we were using the EEO certificate.  Maybe this had something to do with their demise.

I get it...You punish most of your best customers because of abuse of a few...sounds like the right strategy by Marriott!!!

I agree it doesn't change my impression of Marriott, but I do have some concerns about the changes in the loyalty program.

erc Platinum

I realize it's closing the barn door, but I figured the system would only allow one use (similar to booking weekend rates or 3 day requirement offers etc). But I certainly agree with Jasper, and wouldn't accept that as an excuse by Marriott to cancel it. It was at least two Bogos a year (with dinners) and was perfect for the 'special' weekend away, often combined with an extra night and ancillary spending - oh well, spilt milk. Good luck with Isaac, without getting cocky, it's looking manageable at 9:45am, but you're right to remain vigilant, best wishes.

Thanx for restating.  I thought I was maybe losing my mind remembering what use to be.  Hearing from others is reassuring that I am not just imaginng all those years and all thos benefits that seem to be going by the wayside.

I never used the bogo for free nights, but used the bogo for meals often.  there was NO restriction on how many times you used that piece......

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

As I recall, the free night bogo was available at any hotel that offered it. I am not aware that there was any 'one time use' scenario in play. I used it when I was away from home, if it was available. I recall that we had to print out the booking form and hand it to the associate when checking in. If there was a 'one time use' deal, it certainly would have been easy for Marriott to monitor it...as the reservation was always tagged to the MR number since it was an elite program.

you are right!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

If they could be used more than once, I sure missed out on a lot of free stays.  I had been told by Customer Service on a couple of occasions that they could only be used once.

Well the handling of BOGO should give all us elite members a look at the new management approach to looking after their most loyal customers. If Marriott cannot even deal with this minor issue of BOGO and get it handled, I think we can forget about any of the more difficult enhancements we were looking forward to. I am beginning to think that Marriott Management feels that their elite members are over-entitled and their expectations need to be pulled back. Fortunately, the Marriott competitors are out there outclassing the Marriott..Where are the good old days when Mr. Marriott was in charge and not the bean counters.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...