16 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2012 9:24 AM by erc RSS

Reserving multiple rooms on upcoming trip = multiple room night credits?

Athleticman Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I'll be traveling to Chicago for my sons wedding in a week, and I've booked 3 rooms at a Courtyard for 3 nights each.

I'm using almost all of my points to pay for the rooms, but my question is will I get 9 nights credit for this? Or do I only get credit for the 3 nights?

Thanks, Spencer

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Reserving multiple rooms on upcoming trip = multiple room night credits?
    traveler2 Platinum

You only get credit for paid stays.If you want the 3 nights credit you need to book yours as a paid night. Also...make sure you "gift" the award stays and book it in their name. We had a situation where we booked a free room for the mom and a paid stay for us. When all was said and done it turned out we didn't get credit at all for the paid stay because we didn't "gift" the room to the mom. It was still in our name and they used the free room as our stay.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

traveler2:

If you booked and paid for the room you should have received the credit for the night even if someone else used the room. You can book multiple rooms under your Rewards number (up to 3) and pay for them and get the credit for the nights that are paid stays. I don't know when this happened but if you need the rule regarding this please reply and I will get it and post it for you.

taxman415 Platinum

If he lets someone else use the rooms the reservations still need to be under his name or he will not get credit... If he is a platinum member he should still get the arrvial gift regardless he uses points or cash for the room...

traveler2 Platinum

I went round and round with Marriott when this happened!  I booked 2 rooms...one paid, one points. Both were in my name. We stayed in the paid room. We did not receive any credit for the stay because they said the points room was the lead room and the paid was the secondary room. I argued that we paid for and stayed in the paid room and had billed everything to the paid room. Did not work! They said if I wanted credit for the stay I should have "gifted" the points room and kept it out of my name. I don't know what to say but I thought it was crazy as well. But I couldn't get anywhere with my arguments. So to be safe...gift the award room.  Enjoy!

If I am to follow the 'Marriott logic' for this scenario....then their 'new' program that allows one to book a room for 'points plus cash' or 'cash plus points' will not allow for elite night credit for a stay booked in that new program.

If a room is booked on points and a secondary room is booked for cash, even if on the same reservation, there is a cash room involved. If cash is paid for the use of a room and the room is booked in the name of the Rewards member, it shouldn't matter. Cash is cash. It shouldn't matter if 1 or 101 rooms are on points and one is cash. The rules say that if a room is a paid stay the elite night is credited.

Shenanigans such as these would test my loyalty to a brand to the max. There is just no excuse for the poor and shabby explanation or runaround you received.

traveler2 Platinum

I agree with you...and argued that as well. Bottom line for them was.......the points room was lead room, cash room secondary, both rooms on the same reservation. I can't stay in 2 rooms at the same time so my stay was considered the points stay. Can't get the stay credited for the cash room as it was the secondary room!  It angered me as well and talked to several people and got no where! I did finally get a gal who offered to credit me if and only if I was short for reaching platinum. I wasn't, but I still lost 3 nights for the carry over. I was told the only way to avoid this is to "gift" the room just so I don't run into this again. I will make sure to do that in the future. BTW....this was last 2011, maybe its changed with the new cash plus points system. Don't really know!!

True, it does test loyalty but we are in too deep now. Got too much credit to make the move. And that's what they count on!!

I think in this case someone could have easily understood that you were paying for the night and credited the 'free stay' to the other room. This lack of customer service is appalling and really just short sighted towards the loyalty given by you. Disgraceful.

erc Platinum

traveler2 writes "True, it does test loyalty but we are in too deep now. Got too much credit to make the move. And that's what they count on!!"

Boy, isn't that the truth, especially for those of us long term loyalists without the going forward leverage of our previous big numbers (although still a respectable 50-60 per year, plus ancillary dollars off of our points nights).

tef's comments (I often book my daughters' or mother's rooms with me and get points not nights) reminds me that a lot of insiders nights actually understate their revenue contribution, which once again raises the puzzling question of why the apparent insouciance by corp toward loyalists.

Oh well, the short term future appears clear , to paraphrase Bette Davis , " fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride".

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Ooooh, I totally agree.  Traveler2, you should have received both points and one nights credit for your paid stay in the one room.

The room on points of course gets nothing.  Except a free room.

Tef, are you sure about this?  My understanding is that you only get the night credit for the paid room that you personally stay in.  I paid for two rooms for 4 nights in June (100% paid stay), and I only got nights credit for 4 nights (I got all the points for all nights in all the paid rooms - the total bill), but only 4 nights credit.

I thought if you booked a room on points, you didn't get any credit for it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...