17 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2013 6:32 AM by sg1974 RSS

Hanbury Manor, Hertfordshire, UK?

m2 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone with recent experience with this "country club hotel" want to share tips or warnings?  We check in this Sunday night, so looking for quick responses.  WE have stayed at a couple of the other UK country club hotels with very pleasing results.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Hertfordshire, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
  • Re: Hanbury Manor, Hertfordshire, UK?
    GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Sorry, no experience with  this property, but I would be interested in what you thought of the other country club properties.

I almost stayed at Tudor Park when I was sailing out of Dover, but opted to stay at St Pancras as it was right at the train station of the train I needed to take.

If I return though, I may try Tudor Park

Is this a country club property you stayed at?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

m2 Platinum

This is the third of these country club properties in England where we have stayed, all on points.  In Kent, Derbyshire, and this one in Hertfordshire.  We had generally delightful experiences at all three.  Hanbury Manor, for example, has gorgeous exterior architecture and pulic rooms and gardens, the quintessential English country experience.  The golf club seems fine, and the indoor swimming pool and fitness center are superb.  There is a neighborhood pub within walking distance and a range of eating options at the hotel.  I think we had pretty much a standard room, with no particular view, but it was spacious and gracious and worked fine with us.  [I believe we missed an upgrade because the house was full with two wedding parties the night we arrived; I didn't make an issue of it.]

This absolutely requires a car, though, if you want to explore the countryside or visit the various sites in the area.  All of the locations we stayed had easy access by car to castles and  country houses, gardens, historic sites, walking and hiking options, and this one was close enough to train into London, though I can't imagine why anyone would choose this over a London hotel if London is the destination.

I can't see this setting fitting in with business travel, except perhaps for an add-on getaway.  Actually, most of the weekday guests are business travelers, but are at these hotels for group off-site meetings.  Would be a good place to plan something like that, again subject to car travel.  I did see a few cabs arrive and there is the option of a long cab ride from a train, I suppose, and the property can certainly support a few days without leaving.  There is also a full service spa, and the spaces to curl up with a book are unparalleled.

AS you can see, we liked this experience a lot.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Let's see if arkwright and chrisf have an opinion

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Hi PP

Sorry, bit late with the feedback M2 ... I can see that you have already visited ... I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, it's a lovely area of the country.

i wouldn't have been able to provide any useful info ... it was a very long time ago that I last stayed here ... I only live about 20 miles away, so it is more of a day trip to this area than a need to stay.

sg1974 Gold

We stayed at the property over the weekend and I have to agree it was very good.

The interior features reminded me of some National Trust properties that we have visited.

As mentioned previously it is an isolated property so a car is preferable.

The property is a bit of a maze though, for our room we had to take 2 lifts and walk a substantial way to get there.

The pool area was very good. They have adults only swimming after 7pm.

I would happily stay here again.

Hanbury Manor 002.jpg

Beautiful wedding venue. There were 2 the night we were there.

Hanbury Manor 020.jpg

Hanbury Manor 005.jpg

Hanbury Manor 015.jpg

Hanbury Manor 006.jpg

SG

SG,

Excellent pictures! 

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

SG1974

Many thanks and congratulations.

Your assessment is, I believe, "spot on", and your shots very representative.

I would only repeat my warning about the golf course.

A

As we have never stayed at Hanbury Manor, given that it is only 20-25 miles from where we live, I wondered how many of the UK Marriotts we hadn't stayed at.  I was quite disappointed to find that I had stayed at 33 of the 59 that are currently part of the brand.  On the positive side, we have stayed in 8 of the 11 Country Clubs ... only Forest of Arden, Hanbury Manor and Lingfield Park to go.  I am sure that I can manage a few weekends away during the second half of the year to knock these 3 off of our 'to do' list.  But we'll have to get moving on the rest ... another 23 to go!  I guess that it would be a near impossible task in the USA!?!

sg1974 Gold

we have stayed at forest of Arden several times, I would highly recommend.

We had one bad experience when our room was in noisy location, but since then we have always been placed in quiet location.

they recognise elite status and we have received bottle of wine upon check in.

we're staying at Tudor park soon, what are your thoughts on that property?

SG, I have been to the Forest of Arden to watch the Masters Golf but never stayed there ... it looked nice though ... the bottle of wine sounds good!  Tudor Park was nice enough but lacked any historic quality like Hanbury Manor, Breadsall Priory or St Pierre.  The service there was good but we stayed on a busy weekend so breakfast was a bit of a bun fight.  No CL.

sg1974 Gold

Chris,

thanks for the information.

i will try to avoid the bun fight!

SG

I have stayed in the local Marriotts near me for various reasons, storms, power outage, work being done in the house, etc.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

GP,

Same situation with me.  Most interested in hearing about the property!

Dear M2,

I've been to Hanbury Manor several times - and cannot think of anything that might put you off staying there. Well perhaps........................

I played in the Open Invitational Golf Tournament there earlier this year. The rough hadn't been mown for a fortnight owing to the weather; the wind was gale force (or so it seemed to me!); and the overall effect - sadism of the most exquisite form!!

The moral of the story is clear.

The only other point I'd make is that it is not close to any train stations, so you really do not a car.

Enjoy yourself,

A

Ark to the rescue!!!! In fact maybe it was a rescue club that may have cut through the deep rough and monsoon winds

Pp,

I needed more than a rescue club; by the end of the round paramedics were on call!

A

Sorry I can not help as I have not been.

I can only say that its on my bucket list, and I have thought about it alot as it looks really good.

I would definately go for it knowning nothing more than what is on the website and what has been said thus far.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...