76 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2012 8:46 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Isaac

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Yes, the storm brewing in the Caribbean. The 5 day track (as of 8PM tracking by the Hurricane Center) has a bulls-eye on our location here in Florida. Set to come ashore Tues PM. Unfortunately, I'm supposed to leave for a west coast junket Tues AM. I guess timing is everything except timing with these things say if the track holds true I won't be leaving! Here's hoping the track changes!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, USA
  • Re: Isaac
    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

tef,  hope things work out for you and your family.  I hope the track changes for your sake, but I hope it doesn't head to south Louisiana.  From what I heard this morning, we will be on the west side of the storm.  We sure don't need any more rain right now and never need the wind that a hurricane brings.  We have been so fortunate that no really bad hurricanes have hit since Katrina and the one that hit the western part of Louisiana shortly after Katrina (can't remember the name right now).  I wish Isaac would just fizzle out in the middle of the Gulf. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

All the best to both of you as this storm tracks its way westward.  We could sure use some of that associated rain here in the midwest.  Corn and bean yields expected to be 50-60 percent of last year.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Oooh, I too hope it fizzles out.  You've got a nice trip planned, and I would hate to see all of you good folks living in the gulf having to sustain any amount of damage/injury.

Best wishes for a fizzle that will turn the storm into just a drizzle.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Here's wishing it peters out and all is well.

Thanks all. I too hope it fizzles out but with Gulf water temps at the mid 80's, it's like a feeding trough for strengthening. Warm water is like steroids to a tropical storm. Here we are a day later and we're still in the bullseye. Yuck!

If you're forced to evacuate, I say grab your woman and take the vacation.  It's not like you can stop a hurricaine.

Michelle wasn't coming with me on this trip! Even if I wanted to take her with me, I couldn't leave our four legged buddies (our boys) behind!

Barry 2.jpg

Roscoe & Eddie.jpg

Ohhhh, these guys are sooo cute!!   I knew your Mrs. wasn't planning on accompanying you this trip, which is why I suggested just grab her (anyway) and go, but these cute little fellas would definitely be a problem.  Well, forget what I said then.

Yeah, they're my little guys. The little one on the left in the picture (Eddie) is now the grown up one ( a few years later) in my avatar now. The one on the right (Roscoe) is the boss of all three and is 13 now but still looks the same. The brindle/white guy in the top photo (Barry) is one we rescued a couple of years ago. In the photo, he just got done doing a 'Mardis Gras' parade last year and is looking at me to give him what he's addicted to.....a treat!

They're all cute, but I love the look on Barry's face (ha!  who names their dog Barry?  Too funny! )  He's definitely got that focused, "My life depends on you giving me a treat this very instant" look in his eyes.

We have two little brown sausage (doxie) boys and a big old blind, crippled blonde lady.  We do love our dogs.

Yes, we do!! Never any grief, just unconditional love. That's how they are. Barry is really a hoot! Every night he can't go to sleep until he goes through this scenario:  He follows me into the bedroom/bathroom and all through the 'getting ready for beddie' deal. He then follows me to the bed and jumps up on the bed just when I am getting into it. He puts his head on the left side of my pillow and waits for me to get on the right side of the pillow. He then gives me the paw and wants his belly rubbed. He then gets up and goes to his sleeping area....and he does this every night.

We got back from Nantucket Wednesday night and when I took my bike to the gym the next day...my wife told me that Barry wouldn't let her alone because he kept going to the door wanting to go out because he thought I was in the yard. She took him out and he went to the end of the driveway and kept looking in both directions down the road for me. After a few minutes, she said he then put his head down and went back in the house. Michelle told me it was a riot to see him and how he was 'sulking' when I wasn't out there.

As everybody always says...Barry loves his Dad. Eddie's even worse with the 'cling-on' stuff.....

They're kind of like people, with their rituals too!

Well Tef,

It's looking like you will dodge this one.  Now all eyes are on the gulf: LA, MS, AL, FL panhandle.  Still hoping for a fizzle.

pluto,

I live in the Florida panhandle just off the water, but it looks like we are not going to get any real effects now if the storm keeps the current track. Here's hoping!

current track: (I live on the very right hand edge of the red outlined area.

[Image of 5-day forecast and coastal areas under a warning or a watch]

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

tef,

Wonderful picture and information!

Oh, okay.  Well, let's hope you will continue to miss the worst of it.  What is awful that I see is that it looks to be making a beeline for NO.  Thinking about Razor.  Those folks down there don't deserve another whammie.  That would be so wrong.

As they are saying on the Weather Channel, "Prepare for the worst, Hope for the best".  We are prepared to "hunker down" as Jim Cantore says if the storm stays east of us, but also ready to head north if necessary.  We both know the power of Mother Nature and my husband is quite agreeable to evacuating, so we'll watch the path closely.  The only water left at the grocery store was the expensive water, but it was flying off the shelves.  I don't keep much in the freezer this time of year and have actually frozen empty bottles with water to put in coolers if necessary.  My hubby will need to check all the battery powered radios, etc., when he gets home.  Hope those of you who need the rain will get what you need.

For sure, hoping for the best.

Secure those bikes....be safe.

razor:

I hope the storm stays disorganized and is just a big rain event for you if it goes there. You don't need (and neither does anyone) another dose of hurricane weather to deal with. Stay safe and best wishes are from me for a non-event.

erc Platinum

tef

Good to see you posting, from the map I was concerned you were going to get a nasty storm surge. So now we can all focus on pulling for Razorbackfan and others. I have family in Diamondhead, Ms. under voluntary evac and so far - manageable, so let's hope it stays that way for all involved.

I wish this storm would just hop over New Orleans and the Gulf Coast and spread the rain around areas that are in droughts.  It appears that we will be on the west side of the storm, but a change of as little as 30 miles or so could change that in a hurry.  Thanks to everyone for your concern.

We'd love some rain in the midwest.  Unfortunately, this year's corn and beans are already ruined.  Half yield if we're lucky.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

husker

I had a friend the other day tell me how happy he was about the commodity price of corn these days.  said it was a real good thing for he and his partners in corn growing.  said between the prices and the gov't handouts, this would be a good year for them.  

corn and bean futures are up primarily due to the poor yield.  As for the gov't subsidies, well that's a different issue. 

Razorbackfan,

Do let us know that you're okay as the storm passes, if and when you can.  All eyes are on NO, and we're all rootin' for ya.

I'll keep you posted as long as we have power!  With the current path, we are far enough away that we should only get about 6" of rain with the tropical rain bands and winds in the 58+mph sustained winds with higher gusts.  We've decided not to board up the windows, but we could change our mind in a hurry if the path changes to the west at all.  We were glad that a former neighbor told us to cut peepholes in the boards; otherwise the house would be completely dark.  Our local weather is saying that it looks like the center of circulation has just reached the southern tip of Louisiana.  I sure hope the new levees and pumping stations keep New Orleans dry.  Thanks for the concern that everyone is showing.

CNN has Anderson Cooper on the scene!!  Good luck Razor.

CNN on scene...now that should provide some comfort.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Be Safe! Let us know if there is anything we can help with from afar.

razor,

Don't wait to long to get your windows boarded up!

It looks like you may need to.  We need you to be safe, we need your pictures and posts!

razor:

Looks as though the storm has stalled and wind/rain will be hanging around a while. Stay safe! Hopefully the water churn will kill it.

10:00 A.M. Advisory

So far, so good.  We woke up to a blustery, drizzly day.  It's raining harder now, but not too bad.  We expect the eye wall to pass very near to us later today, so we will probably have more wind and rain. It is now predicted that we will get 6-10 inches of rain.  If you have DirectTV, channel 349 has a feed from WWL in New Orleans.  I don't know if this is available to all areas or just the local area.  I never watch CNN and I don't understand the comments (sarcastic, maybe) so will someone explain these references to me.

Today is 7 years to the day that Katrina arrived.  Hopefully, the impact will not be as bad.  There are some really bad flooding situations in Plaquemines Parish (south of New Orleans) where the water is overtopping the "back levee" (not the Mississippi River levee).   They are having to rescue people in that area.  I hope they can bring all the residents to safety.

Razor,

I read about that parish this morning.  Tough break for those folks.  Glad to hear from you.  I'm guessing you're not without power, which is a very good sign.

There is a good chance we will lose power later today, but we are fine for now.  Our wind gusts have been around 30 mph this morning.  They are saying the storm is stalling again, so who knows what will happen.  I'm taking advantage of having power to cook a nice lunch in the event we will be eating sandwiches for a few days.  My husband just found out he is off tomorrow, too.

This fella Isaac just seems to be spinning and spinning without too much south to north movement.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Razor,

Glad to hear you're still doing OK, and I hope the best for all the other people in that area, as well.  Seems like it's not near as bad as it could have been, so far (knock on wood).

razor:

Glad to hear that so far, so good for you. Hopefully you have seen the worst.

I think the CNN references are kind of 'tongue-in-cheek'. CNN (or any other national news media) isn't there to be an aid......they are there for the 'sensationalism' of the storm. Damage and destruction is what they look for because that's what sells their commercials. There is nothing good they can film in these types of storms. That's my opinion anyway. Personally, I don't want to see images of those poor folks who were helpless when Katrina came through. Try helping them....not filming their grief. Others may certainly feel different.

4 P.M. advisory--It is raining much harder and the wind is much stronger.  We still have power, it hasn't even blinked yet.  Our satellite TV coverage is really affected right now with lots of channel break-up.  They've also established a 6 P.M. to 6 A. M. curfew.  It breaks my heart to see all the oak trees that have fallen in New Orleans especially along St. Charles and in the Garden District.  Just heard that all the residents who were trapped by rising water in Plaquemines Parish have been rescued.  Thank goodness that there haven't been reports of too many injuries.

Sad to hear that everyone is having to go through this especially after Katrina!

At least this time, everyone is better prepared hopefully.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

We are only getting limited updates here in the UK but our thoughts and prayers are with you.

razorbackfan,

Hopefully it will just keep getting lighter, and the worst is by you.  Hang in there!

I'll second that!

Watching TWC right now, and you still have some tough hours ahead. 

We need that rain in Missouri very badly, send all you can here.

jerry:

As you can see by this chart....all that rain is coming your way!

[Image of 5-day forecast and coastal areas under a warning or a watch]

I love maps and pictures tef.....now that our friend razorbackfan is starting to come out from under, Jerry better clean those gutters.

erc:

I'm actually in a Marriott in Charlotte at the airport. My flight got re-scheduled to a day earlier and since the storm isn't really coming any closer now than 200+ miles from our home, I grabbed the flight. Luckily for us where the 'home' is even though we have a beautiful Gulf waterview, we're still 36 ft above sea level.

heading for LA tomorrow. First night tomorrow at the LAX Renaissance...then on to the Anaheim Marriott!

Have a good time, Tef.  But I can't not cheer for the Anaheim Angels.  If the Red Sox were to play the Giants, then I'd be saying, 'Go get 'em, Boston!'

Thanks pluto! Since the Sox sold off most of their team over the weekend and most of the remaining starters are on the disabled list...I'll be watching the 'junior varsity Sox' play this trip......but I'll be visiting some great spots!

Yes you will!  Enjoy!

taxman415 Platinum

Here is what my local Publix looked like yesterday...

photo.JPG

Wow! I guess forewarned is forearmed in this case!

Wow.  What's the current status?

taxman415 Platinum

152348R_sm[1].gif

Mmm.  Wow.  I'd better turn on the news.  Thanks for the post.  I hope all fares well.

taxman,

Hope it misses you and the others competely!  We're hoping for your safety and all the others too, and hope it just turns around and goes back out to sea!!

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I just flew into Miami today at 3:45 pm.  The last 20 minutes of the flight were very rocky, but we landed without a problem.  When I got out on the street to wait for the Marriott shuttle, wi was nice and cool outside, though it was very cloudy.  For the last 4 hours i had no internet access, but now (obviously) i am able to log in.  It's still raining hard here, but am glad theat the storm has moved out into the gulf.

Headed to the store to stock up on hurricane provisions.  We'll be ready to board up windows and evacuate this afternoon if we need to.  I hope Isaac will just fizzle out, but don't think that will be the case. It is still so disorganized that its' landfall is still unknown.  I do hope that the areas in extreme drought get the rain they need...just not too much.  Be safe, everybody.

Be careful out there.

razorbackfan,

Take care, we will hope for the best for your loved ones and you.  Hope the storm stays away!

You be safe razorbackfan,

We'll watch and hope for the best for you and all the others in the path!!

tef,

Best of luck weathering this, or even better, that it moves back out to sea and slowly goes away!  We have family and other friends down there and will be watching closely!

Am also hoping it fizzles.

Leaving on a Cruise this Saturday out of NYC for the Bahamas, right after tropical depression 9, a.k.a. Issac, but before tropical depression 10 which has not yet gathered enough steam to get a name.

Hoping they all fizzle out, and we get calm weather and sunny skies.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

This morning was crazy at the Miami Marriott as it was raining and hailing .  We lost power several times, and I almost got stuck in the elevator.  Hope tomorrow is better!

Thanx for the update...am headed that way this weekend.

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Just got back to PHX from MSY last night on the next-to-last flight out. Was supposed to stay until Thursday, but the client cancelled yesterday morning and my Project Manager was freaking out. Too bad, because I had a 16th-floor view of Lake Pontchartrain. 

j, glad you were able to get out before they closed the airport.  You must have been staying at the Marriott Lakeway.

Agree with you razor!

I would not want to be on the 16th floor in a Hurricane.  Much better to get out while you can, is my choice.

7 A.M. advisory--Hooray!  We seem to have dodged the bullet.  Our power never even blinked; although, some nearby areas have lost power.  The eye wall did not pass as near as was expected.  It's still rainy and windy, but nothing like we expected.  I don't think we have had more than 3 or so inches of rain.  Radar is now showing squalls as far west as east Texas and far west Louisiana and on in to southern Arkansas.  The city of New Orleans appears to have suffered little major damage; however, surrounding areas such as Plaquemines Parish (southeast of the city), LaPlace (about 20 miles west of the city), and Madisonville (on the north side of the lake about 30 miles or so from New Orleans), to name a few, are devastated from flooding.  The Gulfport/Biloxi area in Mississippi was also hard hit.  That area and north of there are still experiencing flooding rains and tornado watches and warnings.  Radar is showing 6+ inches of rain in the Ohio Valley as Isaac continues to move north and east.

I thank all of you for your well wishes.  I hope that those of you who continue to be in the path of the storm do not suffer any damage, but get rain if your area needs it.