50 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2012 11:52 AM by kchandler RSS

Favorite Courtyard?

kchandler Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Both my wife and I have stayed in multiple Courtyard hotels through the years on business.  Just a few weeks ago we had a nice stay at the Courtyard in San Ramon on a family vacation (tough to be in the city with a restless 4 year old boy).  Most of the U.S. Courtyards have a pretty distinct look/feeling.  It got me wondering if there are some Courtyards that break the mold or if anyone could recommend a favorite?  So far, our favorite Courtyard that we've stayed in is the Courtyard in Stockholm...excellent property.  So what is everyone else's favorite Courtyard?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Stockholm, Sweden Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Stockholm Kungsholmen
Los Angeles, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Los Angeles Century City/Beverly Hills
Cocoa Beach, Florida, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Cocoa Beach Cape Canaveral
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Indianapolis Noblesville
Orlando, Florida, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Orlando Airport
St. Louis, Missouri, USA Courtyard By Marriott
  • Re: Favorite Courtyard?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi kchandler,

My favorite Courtyard is Meridian/Boise West.  It's a stellar property with a very nice dining area as well as a large, comfortable lobby and bar area (actually upscale for a Courtyard in my opinion).  When you walk out the glass doors located on the rear wall (all glass with sheers) of the lobby bar area, you find yourself in a beautiful courtyard setting with an ornate iron work gazebo, and two round table top marble/glass fire pits.  There is a large banquet room, which all adds up to a good venue prospect for a wedding.  I haven't been there since October (will return this October), and I hope and pray that they haven't renovated this lovely place into the new Courtyard Bistro Design.  I will be soooo disappointed if they have done that.  Anyway, it's a great property with a great price.  A real gem.

Great question!  (And we'll keep the Courtyard in mind if/when we're ever fortunate enough to visit Stockholm.)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kchandler Silver

Thanks Pluto, such a great detailed response.  We live in SLC, not far from Boise, so if there is something the takes us up there, I look forward to booking it.  As for Stockholm, it's a simple walk along the waterfront to old town and also close to a subway stop.  The staff is very helpful.  They have an excellent restaurant with an amazing breakfast that has both American style breakfast and Swedish style breakfast options.  It also has that Swedish modern design to it.  I put a review on our blog if you want to read it:  http://worldfamilytravellers.blogspot.com/2011/12/hotel-review-marriott-courtyard.html

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

kchandler,

Love SLC, and want to ask if The New Yorker is still open for dinner?  Am going to Park City and want to have one great dinner in SLC.  Ate there years ago and would walk down from the Marriott.  It was a great place to dine.

Open for any other suggestions.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Jerry, we really enjoyed the Market Street Grill in downtown Salt Lake City.  It is only a couple of blocks from the Marriott City Center.  We had dinner there and liked it so much that we returned for breakfast.

razor,

Also ate at the Market Street Grill, and it was terrific.  Have really enjoyed my meals and times in SLC.  Clean and safe place, and the walking around the downtown Marriott, as well as shopping was very nice.  Thanks for reminding me of this place.

kchandler Silver

Funny but we ate at Market Street tonight.  So the New Yorker is still open, in fact both restaurants are owned by the same company called Gastronomy.  Can't go wrong either way.

erc Platinum

Jersey City/Newport (NJ across from Manhattan). Nice, crisp, clean hotel; excellent neighborhood; subway right next door (into the city); fair parking rates - a steal compared to the city, value priced rooms. Professional staff and a large enough lobby/bistro space downstairs.

kchandler Silver

It's been some time since I've been in NYC.  Nice to know there is an alternative to staying in the city.  Good public transportation makes it easier to stay outside any major city.  We just had a nice stay in San Ramon, CA (a suburb of San Francisco) and found it convenient to get into the city using BART.  Wrote a review of it on our travel blog: http://worldfamilytravellers.blogspot.com/2012/07/hotel-review-courtyard-san-ramon.html

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

My favorite CY is South Boston, MA. My introduction to this property was I stayed there because I couln't get a room in the CY at Logan Airport. Am I ever glad I couldn't get that room at Logan!

I booked a rate that included breakfast (because CY doesn't provide breakfast for elites). When I arrived, the associate told me that they do free breakfast for Platinums and had noticed that I had a rate that paid for breakfast. She changed my rate to a lower rate to credit me back for the breakfast cost! Last time there they also were still doing the traditional buffet breakfast and didn't have the bistro. The South Boston CY also has an airport shuttle service and is a very nicely maintained property. The staff has been superb every time there and I don't pay the rate charged at the airport CY that is always at least double and usually close to three times more than South Boston!

In addition, the CY Logan airport is noisy and, quite frankly, a dump. I'm soooo glad they were sold out and I had to choose the South Boston CY! I stay there every time now that I need to be airport close for my trips out of Boston!

Thanks for such a timely review, Tef.  We are flying into Boston for our fall foliage trip and will be spending one night at the airport before flying out early.  The CY at the airport would cost nearly $290 and that is without breakfast!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

That CY would be a good place to u se your CC certificate at.  I assume that it is a CAt 5 or lower.

There is a brand new Residence Inn near the airport and we are using our CC certificate to stay there.  It is located on the north side of town and will be a little easier for us to get to.  I was thinking about using it at the CY South after reading Tef's review, but will have to try that CY another time.

kchandler Silver

This sounds like a ringing endorsement, particularly of the staff.  It goes to show how important the little things can be.  I'll keep this in mind next time we find ourselves in Boston.  I own a Marriott timeshare and have been trying to get a trade into The Custom House.

Good luck with that trade into the Custom House. It's so popular that Marriott keeps the inventory when it becomes available for hotel sales. I, too have wanted to 'try it out' (since it's such a landmark), but never have been able to get it. Maybe some trip to Boston I'll stay a night for fun on their big hotel rate.

curiousone Platinum

kchandler:

Keep trying on the Custom House! My wife and I traded in about 4 years ago and enjoyed every minute of it. Be aware, they do not have full kitchens, just kitchenettes.There is a T-rail station just outside the front doors of the Custom House. We bought a 7 day pass at the airport station and either rode the T or walked everywhere. Custom House will definitely be a repeat for us.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

The Miami CY on dadeland Avenue, is like staying in a full-scale Marriott.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

The trip I took to the Rome Central Park Courtyard holds a special place. I'm not sure it qualifies for this discussion because it started out as a full service Marriott.

The rooms are spacious and the A/C worked great. Best of all were the front desk staff.

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Would totally endorse your assessment.

A

kchandler,

I forgot to mention Larkspur, CA!

What an inexpensive and peaceful way to enjoy San Francisco.  I could take the ferry from the hotel to SF and back and it was such a beautiful trip.  It would take me to the pier area and I could take the cable cars or trolley cars all over. 

The hotel upgraded me to a nice two room suite and I could walk to a nice place to dine right across the quiet street.

Would be glad to enjoy that property again.

carla616 Platinum 60 Reviews

I like the CY in Raleigh, NC on Capital Blvd.  The staff is very nice, located right outside a nice mall with a lot of restaurants.... Yes, I stay quite often for business and could stay at a full service Marriott or Renaissance right down the word, but I wouldn't trade this CY for the world.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I very rarely stay at Courtyards!!!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Wallingford CT.

We (our team at work) stay at the Wallingford CY frequently, and were just there this week.

The folks working there were wonderful!

• Requested in advance quiet rooms away from the highway (Platinum Support suggested we call the property in advance so they could block rooms)
    • Asked them to let my boss have my platinum upgrade - hopefully it becomes his favorite property as well
    • Checkin was very quick which was much appreciated as we were tired after driving there, and meeting all day!
    • Ordering breakfast
      • it was fully explained how to get the free breakfast included in our corporate rate
      • portions were more than generous
      • service was profuse
      • the guys enjoyed the TV at the table, and loved playing with the remote control
    • Everyone had a good night sleep and liked their rooms

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

CY Cocoa Beach Cape Canaveral, FL - great location, service

CY Los Angeles Century City/Beverly Hills, CA - excellent valet service + great location

Location Brand Hotel
    Los Angeles, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Los Angeles Century City/Beverly Hills
    Cocoa Beach, Florida, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Cocoa Beach Cape Canaveral

lessrikesback,

Agree totally on The CY Cocoa Beach!  There is a lot to do in the area and although it is a short walk to the beach, the property is most enjoyable.  A short drive to Port Canaveral and Melbourne as well.

Jerry, this is also the only CY that upgraded me to a full suite.  They also used to offer a free breakfast buffet, before the remodel.  Still a great place though. 

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Recently, we stayed at the CY in Lavista, NE, just west of Omaha.  Great location for Houston's steakhouse, Cabela's for shopping, and of course you're only 30 minutes to Memorial Stadium!

husker:

Houston's is a great steakhouse! We always eat at the locations in Orlando (Winter Park) and NYC. They have a sister restaurant called Bandero's that is in Newport Beach, CA if you're ever out that way.

I really like Bandero's.

erc Platinum

I know I risk being scolded for 'branching off' but;

That entire group of Hillstone Restaurants provide great food, service, and great times (and memories for me). My wife went into labor with our first child after dinner at the Westheimer (Houston) Houston's after eating their firehouse chili (no kidding); I had a good business deal close in the Denver area at the Cherry Creek operation, I stumbled into a long lost high school pal at the LA Gulfstream and the banana cream pie is magnificent (you need a loan to get one and a personal trainer afterwards) at Bandera, which I will be saving up cash and calories for my next trip in February when I'm at the Newport Coast villas (my friend successfully maneuvered his way into a vacation club trade - harder than Jimmy Buffet tickets!).

erc......

When are you at the Newport Coast villas??? I will be there in Feb also on a trade!

erc Platinum

tef

Friday February 8th - Friday February 15th

I'm heading out the door (to celebrate Nats MLB best record - get your Sox to help my neighbors' O's out tonight).

I'll check back later tonight to see if the stars align in Newport.

PS - I'm also going to Aruba in April, so if you still decide to go in December, I'll look forward to your insights

We're there Feb 1 to Feb 8. Won't be leaving until late as we are heading to LAX Renaissance after. When are you arriving...on the 8th?

Congrats on the Nats. Best NL record. I'm really happy for the team as they have really exhibited what baseball is suppossed to be about!! Best of luck in the Playoffs....will you be attending any of the games?

erc Platinum

We get into John Wayne at 1:25 (you know how those timeshares are about early check-in, late check out, so I took my time). If all went well could probably get to the lobby by 2.

If you're still around and I make it on time, I'll treat you to a beverage either at the pool bar or somewhere nearby and pick your brains about the property and Aruba - man, you're the guy to know for the Caribbean.

Both of those wild card teams are dangerous (and handled the Nats recently). We coached with Lombo's uncle, so we caught several games with Steven's alloted tickets (great seats as you might imagine, and even more important, terrific parking - quick exit ). I'll just have to wait and see how many family members are available, as I'm low on the food chain - ha.

We might go down to the Beachcomber for a late breakfast/early lunch after we chwck out. Let's touch base as we get closer!

Go Nats! I hope they win it all....would be a great story for such a young team and a real tribute to the excellence in coaching by Davey Johnson!

erc Platinum

tef

Sounds great. It's a plan.

erc:

We are booked (flights and hotel) for December 5 thru the 12th! Looking forward to the trip! We have many friends on the island so will be catching up since we last saw them either in Holland, St Maarten or Aruba!

curiousone Platinum

If you get a chance, try the newest Hillstone Group restaurant called "Hillstone". A friend recently took me to the one in Phoenix and after I sat down and looked at the menu I mentioned that it reminded me of the Bandera in Scottsdale. He explained it was part of the same chain. It was another enjoyable meal at a Hillstone Group restaurant.

erc Platinum

Curiousone

Oh man, this is perfect! Taking the family to Scottsdale for Christmas and this is just down the road. It's got the prime rib for mom, grilled chicken salad for the mrs., veggie burgers and sushi for my daughters and hot fudge sundae for yours truly (no doubt a distant relative of Adam Richman, Man vs. Food). Oh yeah baby, I'm there - thanks for the heads up.

erc,

Your food 'talk' is very entertaining.  Thanks for that!

erc Platinum

Well, you're welcome Pluto. It's exciting to get the great tips of this forum, I'm off to a terrific meal right now at one of my NoVa favorites

2941 Restaurant (often paired with a great weekend stay at the Fairview Park Marriott - still a Cat. 4 with <$80 weekend rates w/ breakfast buffets for elites).

And may I thank you for your superb work as a steward, you, razor, and the many others do a fantastic job of keeping the mojo flowing. And now, off to act like an adult, keeping my elbows off the table.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

tef -- we ate at Houstons, Winter Park, when our son graduated from Rollins a few years ago.  Very good!

NU,

Just had dinner there a couple of weeks ago.  Fun place, my brother lives on the Tuscawilla Golf Course and Winter Park is very beautiful.  Rollins is a wonderful school

See you next Wed. in Burlington, Iowa.  Staying at the FF in Fenton, Mo this week and working in one of my favorite small towns, Washington, Mo!

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

My favorite CY's aren't necessarily the property per se, but the people. The Tuscaloosa CY and JAX CY both stand out in recent memory as places I looked forward to because of the staff. Don't ask about the condition of the facility, I don't remember, but the people were terrific!

One special place that I almost forgot what a good CY is Ottawa, Canada.

A wonderful location, surrounded by great shopping, dining and walking.

Thank-you CY Ottawa for the happiness you have brought my loved ones and me over the years.

Location Brand Hotel
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Indianapolis Noblesville

An honorable mention for the CY Orlando Airport.  Here's my review from a few months back:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/docs/DOC-1288

Location Brand Hotel
    Orlando, Florida, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Orlando Airport
    taxman415 Platinum

We love the Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach... Across the street from the ocean and the hotel was renovated a few years ago... Very nice property...

The St. Louis CY by Union Station is also very nice.  The staff is so good.

Location Brand Hotel
      St. Louis, Missouri, USA Courtyard By Marriott
      catla2sc Gold

Courtyard Shanghai Xui

d-ice Gold 1 Reviews

The CY in Quebec City is amazing.  It has an excellent French restaurant on site and a very nice bi-lingual staff.  Very much like a boutique hotel and close to everything. 

kchandler Silver

We just stayed at the Courtyard in St George Utah and had a very nice stay.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...