19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2012 5:04 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Women Business Travelers

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A recent post prompted this discussion, though I will be in Naples and mostly out of contact (I will have my netbook, but don't intend to be in my hotel room except at night ) if responses are posted.

What do women want?  I ask that using a familiar male question, but I'd like to apply it to hotels and what we as women travelers, whether for business or pleasure, want from a hotel and whether or not we get it.  I am sure we share many of the same wishes as male travelers (of whatever sort) have, but I think this could be a useful discussion.

Here are a few items on my list:

1) A CL lounge for my wine at night and to meet nice people who you don't have to worry about hitting on you (unlike the bar). I also find it nice when there is a CL (almost always in Europe) when they let you take a glass or two of wine back to your room without comment.  OK, all of you, I like wine!

2) amenities appropriate to men and women.  I've been forced to take things like hair conditioner along because it is not at all consistent whether a given Marriott provides it.  My most recent eventful ;( trip to Honolulu was an example).  I have very fine (not in the wonderful sense of the word, but in the breakage sense) hair and without conditioner for several days I would have probably 1/4 of my hair left if I shampooed every day. So I either end up taking more than I need (which sometimes means checked luggage - my least desirable thing) or bringing them all back.  Make the rooms equally male/female friendly in terms of amenities

3) Have a bathrobe in all Marriott (at least all full service ones) hotels.  Since I always ask for a high room, I don't usually bring things like bathrobes.  When I arrived battered in Honolulu, I was shocked that there was not a hotel bathrobe or slippers.  As a result, I was mostly unwilling to go out on my 15th floor balcony since high rises were all around.

4) Do not have bars, restaurants or other entities in the hotel either announce or ask for your room number. The person behind or near me might be a fine gentleman, but could also be listening in order to charge something to my room.

5) DO AWAY WITH MINIBARS! Or at the very least do not make them motion sensitive.  I really prefer hotels (like Waikiki beach) that just give you a refrigerator to use. But if there is a minibar, opening it should not trigger charges even if you don't move anything.  I've had this fight many times (though never contested it if I did take something from the minibar) when charges appeared just because I opened it to see what they had -- which was usually not very appealing.

6) For single women traveling alone, give real preference to their room choices.  I think this should be true for men as well, but I can tell you I'd rather be near the elevator and its noise than at the end of a hall.

I welcome all who have similar or different opinions to comment.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Women Business Travelers
    Jojoangel Platinum 1 Reviews

I definitely agree with 4&6. 

The mini bar is annoying and i just do not open it anymore for fear i will SNEEZE too close to it and be charged more than the room rate!

THe CL is something i like no matter what and while i am not a wine drinker the appeal of relaxing after a long day of conferences or meetings keeps me looking for the CL instead of a noisy bar.

I do not travel international for business but travel enough for platinum last few years.  I have my fav hotels and most will honor my preferences...feather free, high floor, etc.  A bathrobe is a perk except the time i found the bathrobe to have long wavy black hair on the back of it...my first night there and I knew i had not used it (also I have fine, shoulder-length, dirty-blonde hair).  They quickly exchanged it but trust me I analyze those now very thoroughly.  Luckily never had that occur again.

OVerall i think what women and men prefer in a hotel would be similar.  Some of my friends (male and female) were shocked to know you can request certain things like a high floor.

OH i forgot the conditioner note you made...i believe there was a thread recently on that.  Shampoo condioner no lotion.  Two conditioners no shampoo.  But it is always a **** shoot what i will get in the room.  FI in MA always has all three but last time i had no lotion.  CY in RI had shampoo two conditioners and one lotion; for you that would have been an added bonus!! Lol ;0)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Hi Prof,

I hope you have a pleasant trip to Napoli!

I do not travel for business.  I guess I am pretty easy to please when it comes to hotel stays, as my needs are apparently few. 

I do not require or expect room upgrades, as I don't spend much time in the room (but wouldn't turn one down), or robes or slippers.

While I appreciate a CL, if the lobby is beautiful, large and not very crowded/noisy, which has fortunately been the case during most of my experiences (in Europe), that is where I would prefer to spend my time.  What I do appreciate about CL's is being able to grab a free drink on the go, and I am definitely all about the free breakfasts.  Also, if the bar is beautiful, I prefer that surrounding (for example, the bar/lounge at the Renaissance La Defense was really lovely and quite large, luxuriously furnished, floor to ceiling glass, and far preferable to the CL.)  Don't get me wrong, I like the free wine, but if the bar is beautiful, I would prefer the surroundings, or else to enjoy a glass of wine in the privacy of my own room, even though it isn't free.  But I don't travel alone either.  If I did, I would certainly enjoy the possibility of conversation with fellow travelers in a CL if it were available, and the free glass of wine to boot.

I hate mini bar fridges too, and don't require the little bottles of shampoo/creme rinse/lotion, as they are 99% not acceptable to me, and so it is simply my habit to bring my own (with the exception of Courtyard, who has hit a home run with their recent switch to Paul Mitchell products).

If the hotel has a shuttle, I want the driver to take care of my luggage, and will tip of course.

I LOVE the in-room coffee maker.

I LOVE the in-room mini-fridge so long as it's empty.

I LOVE a retractable clothes drying line.

I hate the bidet, but if it makes the bathroom bigger, well okay.

I hate not having enough towels in the bathroom.  Extra towels, always, please.

It's always super duper if the toilet is in a separate room all by itself, and wouldn't it be nice if the better hotels provided room freshening spray? 

Not sure if any of these things I've mentioned are likes/dislikes that are exclusive to the woman traveler, but...

The one thing that is imperative to me is to have a plug in the bathroom proximal to a counter and mirror for my electronic hair appliances.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I hope you ladies don't mind but, I'm eavesdropping on this conversation just in case I go for a career change and decide to open a nice boarding house..

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

you can also get extra towels set as part of your reservation preferences.  Its the line above the refrigerator line, "extra towels"

Just go to Profile - Reservation Preferences

and on the right hand side column under #2 Additonal Preferences - Room Amenities - the 2nd to last entry is "extra towels"

My room always has as many towels and they can put in the bathroom.

Gotta have them with long hair....takes lots of towels to get it damp enough to them blow dry.

Hi Pluto, PP and others,

Because I won't check luggage except in extreme circumstances, I have to have 3 oz. bottles of everything, so that's why the conditioner is so important to me(my hair is my favorite physical part of me, which is good, since it is about the only thing that didn't get damaged in the HNL jet bridge).

Since I always travel alone, that makes the CL much more important to me (or being treated like they do for people at the Ghent Marriott, where they give you practically whole meal vouchers for each night of stay -- with drink -- and breakfast is always in the hotel restaurant.

I don't use the in-room coffee or teamaker.  I am a one coffee a day person, at 4am in the US (closer to normal human times in Europe), plus I fear that they are probably not getting cleaned very often.

As I said before, with Pluto, I like the empty mini-fridge and even for the sake of their checkout people who have to constantly deal with the moved items, Marriott should do away with for purchase beverages and snacks -- unless it doesn't trigger stuff.  Once the drawers were right above the fridge and I was seriously afraid when I closed it too hard once that I'd be charged for all the contents of the minibar.

I too love the retractable clothing line!  I wash all my undies in the tub and it makes me feel even at a posh hotel like I'm not somehow cheating.

Where we disagree (again, I think because I travel alone) is that I want everything in the same bathroom unless they give me a suite. I also love the bidet.  I got used to them living in France in the 80s (though they are fairly rare there now) because I stayed as a grad student in hotels with shared bathrooms/showers -- but they usually had both a sink and a bidet in the room.  Still, to put it in plain speech, it's a nice way to freshen up without another bath or shower.

I agree with Pluto about the plugs for the appliances and it is what I find least, especially in Europe, where most of them say they are only for razors.  If there are enough mirrors in the room I can usually manage, but sometimes I have to blow dry and curl my hair 'in the dark' so to speak.

So where will you be opening your B&B, PainedPlatinum?
    ProfC

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Well Prof,   if it were to ever happen, my wife likes the Bucks County, PA area.

One of my few remaining relatives lives there, and I grew up in Delaware County, PA.  Small world!

Didn't get damaged in the what?

Hi GP,

The jet bridge in Honolulu where both my arthritic knees and left hip went out and i banged off the jet bridge wall (nothing to hold onto except my suitcase), onto peoples suitcases, into people, and eventually hard to the floor on my butt.  Then ended up one giant bruise in Honolulu, with a sprained ankle, I recently learned a hairline fracture to my cheekbone (the only part that still hurts) because of my glasses hitting my face, etc.  That's probably in another post so you didn't see it.  I stayed in the hotel almost the entire time and even felt after one try that I couldn't swim in the pool because of the stares that I was getting (i was a giant bruise, including all those people with hand and fingerprints embedded into my arms who helped me up.

Oh, right.  Well I knew all about your Hawaii mishap (again, sorry - big bummer), I just didn't understand the term HNL, nor did I get the term 'jet bridge', nor did I make the connection.  I can be a little slow sometimes.

you can get a refrigerator in your room at any property, just added it to your profile preferences, along with types of beds, types of pillows.

added it to my years ago, and most properties put one in my room, usually in the entry way where they put the chest of drawers or table

Just go to Profile - Reservation Preferences

and on the right hand side column under #2 Additonal Preferences - Room Amenities - the very last entry is "refridgerator"

Wow, GP.  Great stuff.  I did not know about all of these prefs.  Thanks!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I had a refrigerator in my profile and arrived and they put one in the room for me and charged for it.  I removed it.

I will have to add extra towels.  I did not notice that we could request them.

I too hate the mini bars.  We should be able to request a room without one.  I had a case many years ago when they charged me for an item that I did not use and would not remove the charge (a non-Marriott)

If traveling without checked bagage, one should be able to count on shampoo and such in every room.

I don't use most of the coffee makers in the room because I am unsure if it was properly cleaned.

I enjoy the CL.

I would expect that most men as well as women would like the above.

Really, they charge you for the fridge?  I have never noticed any charges for it.

I also travel without checking bags, and am not a coffee in the room person either as I prefer my sodas from the CL

Also agree that the preferences of men and women are not that different.  I think this thread might have been a response to one MI that said most business travelers are men and they prefer their routines.  I questioned him on this, but got no response, and instead this separate thread popped up.

I think they wanted to charge me $25 for the fridge so I told them that I didn't want it and took it off my profile.  I was told that if it were not in the room already, I had to pay for it.

I too don't see a reason to separate mens needs from womens.  It is better that we seek what is good for all of us.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

californian,

I have had a refrigerator brought in many times, including in Mexico, and have never been charged for it yet.  Maybe this is just one place that started to try and charge?  I hope so.

The cost was per day and I was staying several days.  If I do decide to try again, I will ask if there is a charge.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

When we got ours in Puerto Vallarta last year, it was for 13 days.  We're going again in a couple of months and I'll let  you know if they try to charge us this year.

Weird!

There is nothting else in the profile that they charge for, so why the fridge?

and agreed, we need what's best for all.  I thought it was better to get the person to explain themselves on why the CL was necessary for men more than women. ProfC made a very good case for CL for safety purposes, cause sitting in a bar alone you are like a target.  But after the Scrubb Island post where a couple was drugged at the pool bar, maybe its a security issue all around for business travelers.  Both my uncles who traveled for business years ago had problems, and they were the ones that shared their safety tips with me.  One was mugged going to his hotel room in NYC so he was a big believer in hotels with doorman (now its keyed elevators for the CL floor).  The other was drugged in a hotel bar and kidnapped but managed to escape.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...