8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2012 2:55 PM by tef6178 RSS

Here's one for the 'record'

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Went to a Courtyard in Lincoln, RI last week for a wedding stay (the selected hotel for guests). Was greeted by an associate who was absolutely 'overwhelmed' with all the work to be done checking in their guests. No greeting acknowledging my status (no biggie), just a constant stream of 'I have so much to do with this check-in stuff.....'. OK, that's fine, but it's not too difficult if one just folllows a plan....greeting, thanks for being here, thanks for loyalty, let me get your things for you that the wedding party arranged, here's your key.......

All went well because we had to leave for the rehearsal dinner about 10 minutes after we got there. Then, we returned.........

My wife turned down the bed and.......whoa brother......trash obviously left by the previous group was underneath the bedcovers and sheet! I called down to the front desk and politely asked for another room (because I didn't want to create a scene for the kids getting married and who this was really all about). Someone brought us a key for a new room and we moved all our belongings (yes, WE did it). I brought my key for the old room back down to the front desk after the move and the person on the desk sheepishly mentioned to me that 'oh. my, you're Platinum, aren't you?' I'm so sorry. He was also very professional in his approach to me and also apologetic that the person he sent didn't accomodate the room change for us and we had to do it on our own. He suggested he would add some points to my account to make the situation better if he could in some way and he deposited 10,000 points in my account overnight. I suggested to him that the GM might want to discuss this with me.

She called and, although apologetic, was consumed in a silent conversation with someone else that she thought I couldn't hear when she was whispering to them and the talking part of the phone was still on her mouth. I would suggest next time she try cupping her hand over the mouthpiece! I ended the call very quickly with a terse 'you probably need to get on with more important things, have a nice day'.....

The wedding was great!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Lincoln, Rhode Island, USA
  • Re: Here's one for the 'record'
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

tef -- you are a very patient person.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi husker...

I'm actually not very patient (as my wife is quick to point out to me), but it was our nephew and his beautiful bride who's time and enjoyment I didn't want to intrude on because we got a bad room.

erc Platinum

tef- thanks for taking the time for the write up. Let's hope this isn't a trend of weakness at the operating level, because as we battle corporate attitudes toward customer service and customer loyalty, the last defense we have is Marriott consistency at the property level. I have recently stayed at three wedding properties (our kids and their friends have entered that stage, and isn't the destination wedding wonderful ! - but that's another subject, ha) and the full service seemed far more geared up for it and the crowds than the Springhill and Courtyard brand on my stays.

At 11 am est - Isaac getting closer and closer to hurricane strength with a large circulation so have your evac plan ready just in case, best wishes to you and yours.

Hi erc,

I too find that the full service locations are much better equipped to handle gatherings such as this. Unfortunately, this place was the only Marriott game in town.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I think it gets back to the issue of customer service training, and whether or not management considers and appreciates the value returned for the cost of that training, as well as the value of follow up.  The climate of customer service that management creates (or not) is also critical.  You shared a glimpse of the local management mentality in this case, which spoke volumes.

Glad it was a great wedding!

Hi Pluto,

I agree that training was the issue here. I think it was another associate who was engaged nearby who was the senior person and didn't want to help the person who was handling the check-in. The associate who checked us in seemed brand new and wasn't getting the help she needed to be trained right from the other associate.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Funny stuff Tef....I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but I'm picturing your face as you hear the "secret" conversation going on....... this stuff is priceless.

pained,

The GM actually told me that she found it hard to believe that the housekeeper would have left the room like that as this particular housekeeper was the 'best one I've ever had' ...........

Of course, when I asked her if she had received the trash I had the staff person take out from under the covers when they came to the room...she said she did.....OK then, do you think I put it there??

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...