7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2012 4:30 PM by painedplatinum RSS

San Francisco: JW Marriott Union Square vs Renaissance Stanford Court??

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am having a little difficulty deciding between the two above referenced hotels for a 5 night reward stay in early December. Both have mostly good reviews (I've checked Trip Advisor as well). I know SF well from my younger days (high school and early working career). I'm leaning toward the Stanford Court at this point....but I do love those JWs. I'd appreciate anyone's input on their experience and which they might choose. Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
San Francisco, CA, USA
  • Re: San Francisco: JW Marriott Union Square vs Renaissance Stanford Court??
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

nanaglo45,

You can't go wrong with either!  Having stayed at most of the Marriott properties in SF, I like the old fashion Marriott at Fisherman's Wharf.  However, that is just me, because I like to walk along the wharf.  The cable cars are especially refreshing at night, from FW to Union Square.  Have a great time!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

diogenes72 Platinum 1 Reviews

I have always liked the Stanford Court, with those two beautiful glass domes from railroad magnate Leland Standford's mansion; I also like the location at the top of Nob Hill, as well as the fact that if you're driving, you can get off-street to unload and get into and out of your car...no small benefit in Downtown SF.  When I lived there, I used to take guests to Forno's Oven, the hotel restaurant (at least it was five yrs ago).  Everyone always loved it.  I haven't stayed there since their "remodel" and the pics make it look like the lobby seems more like the in vogue "minimalist chic" in a you-could-be-anywhere Renaissance.  I hope this is not the case.

While I've stayed at the Stanford Court many times, I have only stayed at the JW once, and I was underwhelmed.  I can't remember which chain used to own this property, but it wasn't originally a JW.  The lobby is small and noisy.  I didn't care much for the equally small restaurant.  My room was an upgraded corner room with a double exposure, so that was nice.  If you want to be closer to Market Street, you may want to choose this hotel, but it lacks the character of the Stanford Court (and also the complementary shoe-shine and the daily complementary coffee delivered to you room at whatever time you choose in the morning).

Have a fun trip and let us know what you think about your hotel choice!

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I just got back from a stay at the JW Marriott. I'm happy to report that I had a great stay and I was impressed with the property. I was given a large corner room on the 19th floor. It appears the corridors and rooms were recently remodeled and are in great shape. The only telltale sign that the building dates back to the 70's is the bathtub, which wasn't replaced.

I was shocked to find the Concierge Lounge was open on the weekend and they had a nice spread with a fantastic view of the city. The only disappointment was they don't have bottled water, just highly filtered water from a device.

As far as parking is concerned, save yourself a bundle by parking at one of the nearby garages. There is a garage half a block away on Mason which charges $32 a day vs the hotels $52. The only issue with public parking is no in/out privileges.

I highly recommend this property.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...