13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2012 5:43 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Marriott Activity in Social Media???

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone noticed any activity in Social Media by Marriott?

I was just in LinkedIn, adding my travel to TripIt when I recieved an advertisement to look for my hotel at Marriott.Com.

Find a hotel in Reykjavik at Marriott.com

Since its my updcoming trip Iceland, and I had already checked Marriott.com about a month ago to find that there were no hotels there, I thought, well maybe they recently added one and I missed it ( thinking of the my Barcelona trip this year, where there was no Marriott in Jan & Feb, but by the time I returned in Mar, Marriott had turned one of the AC properties into a Renaissance, and also Bill Marriott's message about how many hotels they are bringing online in the near term).

So I clicked on the link, and received the same error message, that there are no Marriotts in Iceland.

Whoever is involved in Marriott advertising on social media sites, might want to adjust this ad so that it only pops up from countries and cities that actually have Marriott properties

If I was not a Marriott Platinum and Insider, I would wonder how well organized a hotel chain is that pops up messages for countries they have no properties in.

Since I am, I realize its an ad that probably needs some fine tuning.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Activity in Social Media???
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Hi Gem,

I think they target specific sites that you might visit and track information that you have in your cookies from previous searches to push advertisements to targeted audiences.  Many times they don't have logic built in to see if there actually is something in the specifics of what you were trying to find, so they can definitely be misleading or disappointing when you follow the link and then find out there is nothing that suits what you were really looking for

Hope you have fun in Reykjavik.  It has been 25 years since I was there, but still remember how exciting everything seemed.  Some parts of Iceland seemed like another planet, and nothing rivals the smell of the drying fish odors blowing across the lava fields when the wind blows the right direction.  There were some beautiful places to see there, but we didn't get to see near as much as I would have liked, since I was on a military TDY for 2 weeks bringing the Iceland ROCC radar site online.  It was definitely another lifetime ago.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanx Tryt for the explanation.

Am looking forward to the trip as I have wanted to go there for many years.

Was just in Arrecife, Canary Islands and some of my friends said it reminded them of Iceland, as it had the windswept from the beginning of time look

That was kind of the way I felt when standing on some of the huge expanses of lava that was just starting to deteriorate and decompose.  Moss and grass was starting to grow and it seemed like evolution was just starting in some places.  Definitely a back-in-time feeling, but really neat!

its definately the evolutionary path - volcanos errupting with lava, lava hardening into rock, rock braking down into dirt, vegetation growning in the dirt, birds and small animals attracted by the vegetation.  It just makes so much more sense when you can see a small example in process.

I remember Gullfoss was breathtaking and cold.  You definitely want to watch your footing as you walk around up there.  No railings or anything when I was there.  The Blue Lagoon was neat to swim in, but a little eerie, like being on another planet.  Swimming (really shallow) around through the pools were hot and cool, and lots of slimy mud that oozes.  Definitely something to try though!  We also stopped at Strokkur Geyser on the way to Gulfoss.  It wasn't that big, but still seems so strange out in the middle of nowhere with the cold winds whipping aroung.  I tried my first Lam Dog with their mustard at a stand close to the Geyser, and it was wonderful!  I hope to get back there some day with my wife and see more of Iceland, since a lot of our time was taken up with our Military work. 

What did you think of the Lam Dog?

The package comes with air & hotel, and the hotel has buffet breakfast included, so I am figuring only dinner out.  Was looking at various reviews and apparently the most reasonable thing to eat is Lam Dog.

I loved the Lam Dogs, but only had them (ordered a second one) at that little stand by the geyser, so I don't know if it wouldn't be different wherever you get it.  Part of seemed to be a really nice mustard sauce on the ones I had.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

What is a lam dog?  (I hope it is not made of Mary's little lamb ).

I highly suspect it is as Iceland has sheep and goats because of the terraine instead of beef.

I think Gem is right.

Glad they don't have fish dogs from the dried fish

might be good!

I have had lobster sausages and they were great.

You can make anything into a sausage.  Take a look at whole foods.

anyways in france we ate lamb sausages, and I loved them. Had a hard time finding them here in the US though.  Both MA & MI have the largest middle eastern population anywhere in the US, and they make great lamb sausages too.  spicing is a bit different but they are lovely.

Oops, forgot before I hit post.  Here is some else's YouTube video of Strokkur and Gullfoss.

Strokkur geyser & Gullfoss - Iceland - YouTube

Also, here is a YouTube link to the Blue Lagoon.  When i was there it was dark and steam was everywhere and the buildings and hills were barely seeable through the mist or fog.  Almost spooky.  I remember tourists coming up and taking our picture, thinking we were locals, and how funny that seemed to us.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...