29 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2013 2:21 PM by nuhusker RSS

Rank Your Top 5 Asian Cities.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I was looking to breath some new life in my European list and felt that Asian cities would also be interesting. Please share your favorite cities in Asia.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Beijing, Beijing, China JW Marriott JW Marriott Hotel Beijing
Shanghai, Shanghai, China JW Marriott JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square
Tokyo, Japan Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Tokyo Ginza Hotel
  • Re: Rank Your Top 5 Asian Cities.
    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

It has been 35+ years since I visited southeast Asia; however, I enjoyed Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; Singapore; Bangkok, Thailand; and Hong Kong.  These destinations are on my bucket list for a return visit.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Raz,

Can you imagine some of the changes that have occurred over the last 35 yrs? These places may look totally different, but the people are probably just as nice as you remember.

travel_tales Gold 1 Reviews

We have been fortunate enough to live and work in the Asia Pacific region for  several years off and on and have enjoyed travelling in the area quite a bit.  For southeast Asia the top 5  "must see" cities in my view are Singapore, Hong Kong (where we are visiting now) Bangkok (headed next), Shanghai, and Siemen Reap, Cambodia (for  Angor Wat and related temples) - and if you can squeeze in a sixth, add Siagon.  If you include Japan, add Kyoto.  And of course, don't just stay in the cities - the surrounding  regions are all very different and very interesting.

Thanks t-t.... I would never have thought much about Cambodia..now I'll do some research on your recommendation.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

PP,

Hong Kong

Kowloon

Tokyo

Southern China

That is all I have been to, and was so surprised at how enjoyable the trip went.

proelite Platinum 1 Reviews

I lived in Bejing and Hong Kong and loved Hong Kong

JC,    I have this fear that Hong Kong and Tokyo are masses of humanity. I like a vibrant crowd, but too much of a good thing....    How did you find the crowds in those two cities?

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

pp

I have the pleasure of going to HK  twice a year.  While there is definitely a mass of humanity, I feel much more crowded in NYC or LA.  In addition, the HK harbor makes the others look much less spectacular.  HK is a definite must for those that have the chance, but be warned that it is very expensive.  Jerry also mentioned south China.  That is where much of my business travel takes me.  It too is a very interesting area, much less expensive, but much more crowded in the cities....

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

pained,

you can't beat Hong Kong in many ways. I travel once a year there (used to be years of twice a year) and always see something new. I always stay at the JW Marriott, Pacific Place in Admiralty station. The rooms are not real big, but I always get the corner room on concierge floor. The service is awesome as well as concierge lounge. Everyone at the hotel is attentive to any need. It is attached to Pacific Place mall and the MTR (mass transit subway) stop is directly underneath. It is convenient to anywhere in the city including Kowloon side. What I love about it is the fact it was owned by the British for so long that the British style is embedded profusely. It is a very rich city as far as living expenses compared to alot of China, but much like NYC to US citizens. I highly recommend going up to the Peak, the top of the highest mountain there. There is a tram that goes up the side of the mountain. The view is spectacular, nothing like it. Sometimes it is hard to see well due to smog so be sure to go on a clear evening if possible. There are restaurants and many shops there so you could spend an entire afternoon and evening easily.

Other cities:   Shanghai     Portman Ritz Carlton is excellent(great grocery store next to it with Asian and American)   or Tomorrow Square is great as well

Beijing          JW Marriott Beijing

max,

I just returned from Beijing..had a great time. Shanghai and Hong Kong are now on the list..

pp,

As much as I thought I would not like HK, I really did.

My fears:

lack of good food-Totally wrong!  Even the Pizza Hut, was the best I ever have had!

Dangerous place/ Wrong again, the people were many, but it was a nice, friendly atmosphere.

I stayed in Kowloon, and found it easy to get around, and the sites were most interesting.  Would go back again!

sg1974 Gold

Tokyo is great city to visit. Went on a day trip whilst there to Mt Fuji and bullet train back to Tokyo that was a memorable day.

I would certainly revist as the city is massive.

Hong Kong is a bustling fast paced place, but fun.

I have much more to see in this region so will be interested to see some other replies.

sg,

I've heard a lot of peolpe make the Mt. Fugi trip. The folks I know have all enjoyed the day.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Cities, hmmmm, might be easier with regions, but:

• Hong Kong - exotic - a little of everything, and the peak is magical
    • Singapore - Hong Kong without the chaos and the vertical - don't miss the night safari, and MacRitchie Reservoir is quite interesting
    • Halong (Haa Long) and/or Haa Long Bay (Vietnam) - extraordinary UNESCO heritage site
    • Beijing as a major metropolitan center every growing, changing, morphing....
    • Bangkok and Tokyo - tossup - both are fascinating, and with unlimited potential, but not my favorites, Bangkok is more exotic, but....
    • non-responsive addendum: Seoul's Inchon Airport - absolutely extraordinary - can't think of any airport where I'd rather be stuck on a long layover (where you can't leave the airport) - something for everyone....

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

great choices ssindc!  I would rare them:

1. Hong Kong

2. Singapore

3. beijing

4. Toyko

never been to Bangkok

Have NO interest in visiting Viet Nam........  just sayin'

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Thank you shoeman.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I understand that Vietnam isn't for everyone, but, if you end up reconsidering, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• I went the first time with my father (who served as an advisor in the Mekong Delta in the mid-1960's - alas, now he's buried at Arlington National) - I spent ages convincing him it was worth taking the trip.  Some of his buddies applauded him, others disagreed.  We had a splendid trip, staying at gorgeous resorts, touring, relaxing, photographing (we took well over 1,000 shots between us), eating everything in sight (the food was terrific), and enjoying different hedonistic spa treatments...
        • I went back more recently on business and went to Hanoi and Haa Long Bay for the first time.  The latter was one of the most spectacular natural venues I've ever witnessed.
        • In both the north and the south - excellent value for money, wonderful food, gorgeous countryside, nice people, etc. 

I've got an extensive data dump in this thread: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/13960

Cheers

stlram Platinum 15 Reviews

My youngest son just returned from Vietnam and Cambodia and loved it, but my wife and I have never been. In Asia I would select cities based on a criteria which reflects the culture, physical beauty, food, congeniality and interaction with local people, public transportation and weather. Although there are many, my top 5 cities are:

1. Beijing

2. Tokyo

3. Kyoto

4. Shanghai

5. Nara

Once again, there are many more.

My youngest son just returned from Vietnam and Cambodia and loved it, but my wife and I have never been. In Asia I would select cities based on a criteria which reflects the culture, physical beauty, food, congeniality and interaction with local people, public transportation and weather. Although there are many, my top 5 cities are:

1. Beijing

2. Tokyo

3. Kyoto

4. Shanghai

5. Nara

1. Beijing

2. Tokyo

3. Kyoto

4. Shanghai

5. Nara

My youngest son just returned from Vietnam and Cambodia and loved it, but my wife and I have never been. In Asia I would select cities based on a criteria, which reflects the culture, physical beauty, food, congeniality and interaction with local people, public transportation and weather. Although there are many, my top 5 cities are:

1. 1. Beijing
    2. 2. Tokyo
    3. 3. Kyoto
    4. 4. Shanghai
    5. 5. Nara

My youngest son just returned from Vietnam and Cambodia and loved it, but my wife and I have never been. In Asia I would select cities based on a criteria, which reflects the culture, physical beauty, food, congeniality and interaction with local people, public transportation and weather. Although there are many, my top 5 cities are:

1. Beijing
    2. Tokyo
    3. Kyoto
    4. Shanghai
    5. Nara

1. Beijing
    2. Tokyo
    3. Kyoto
    4. Shanghai
    5. Nara

1. Beijing
    2. Tokyo
    3. Kyoto
    4. Shanghai
    5. Nara

Location Brand Hotel
    Beijing, Beijing, China JW Marriott JW Marriott Hotel Beijing
    Shanghai, Shanghai, China JW Marriott JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square
    Tokyo, Japan Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Tokyo Ginza Hotel
    gordyfil Platinum 5 Reviews

1.  Hong Kong, nothing like it anywhere else in the world.

2.  Shanghai, you can go anywhere without speaking English and and find your way.

3.  Chongqing, Hot, hilly, and dirty...but the best food in all of my Asian travels

4.  KL, the views are outstanding

5.  TBD.....

NOTE:  Avoid Manila!!!

Thanks gordy.

gordyfil,

A friend just got back from Manila. Said the "Stench" as soon as he got off the plane was overwhelming!  He recommended not going.  Dangerous place as well!

Just what he reported to me!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

There was a time when Manila was one of my favorite foreign cities.  Drink enough of that unregulated San Miguel and you don't smell (or feel) a thing.

Regarding Hong Kong (Would go back again!), seems like a great place to avoid justice.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...