7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2012 11:21 PM by iestrikesback RSS

WiFi Not always Free for Platinum and Gold?

nukeferret Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'm a Platinum Premiere member and stayed this last weekend at a Courtyard in downtown Atlanta.

When I logged onto the hotel wifi, I chose the faster option, which showed a charge.  I carefully checked to see if there was a statement that the higher tier was exempted from the Free wi-fi for Platinum and Gold elites, and there was not one.

When  I checked out, I was charged for the wi-fi!  I asked about it and was told that the 'faster tier was exempted' for the free wi-fi for Platinum and Gold members.  They agreed to remove the charges, but I'd like to make sure I understand what's 'free' and what's not.

When I stay at the Mayflower Hotel in DC, I pick the faster internet speed, and am not charged.  The Marriott website that lists Platinum benefits, makes no mention of any exemptions.  It states that the wi-fi is free 'across all Marriott brands' and makes no exemption for any of the tiered speeds.

So, my question, is what's the REAL policy here?  Are the tiered internet speeds exempted from the 'free wi-fi' for Gold and Platinum elites?  Or not?

Thanks in advance!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: WiFi Not always Free for Platinum and Gold?
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I have sometimes stayed at hotels where the option when you log into your browser is to pay or not.  I have immediately called the hotel desk and was told (in I think all cases) to go ahead and check it and that it would be removed at checkout.  I may have had a problem once, but if so that was long ago.  Just pull your card out at checkout if there's an issue, but I'd also call the front desk as soon as you're trying to connect.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

According to the T&C's free internet is not available to Gold and Plat's at Courtyards in the US and Canada. Why, I have no idea.

The rules are here:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi

Scroll down to platinum, Gold and Silver Membership Benefits....see Item #2.

Scroll further to Additional Platinum and Gold Membership Benefits...see Item #7.

I know it doesn't help, but thought I'd bring it out so there isn't an issue in the future. I don't stay at Courtyards (other than one in South Boston that gives me free breakfast and internet) because of the 'no breakfast and no internet' rules. I have never had a problem with any other property with the wi-fi charges. But, the 'slow' connection can be a real issue.

Segments Platinum 4 Reviews

Several hotels I've stayed at recently have had two options for internet (regular & fast).  So is the change in T&C saying that we still get free wifi, just at the slower speed?  That non-Elite pay for either option, but Elite only pay for the faster option?

Sounds like something they need to note on the login page when you register for access at each hotel.  If only some wifi options are free for Elite, then they need to state clearly and advise us to opt for the slower speed or pay for "upgrade".

Hi allyson

I have seen the 'option' for internet at a faster speed and I inquire of the front desk as the Prof said she does. That way, there are no mix-ups regarding billing and I don't have to argue with an associate.

But, I do agree Marriott should clear up the confusion that now exists.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

tef,

That's nice to know.  I've never been charged for Internet Access as a Platinum yet, even at a Courtyard, but haven't stayed where there was a choice of a faster network yet either.  I will start checking on this now.

Hi tryt:

The hotels where I have seen it were in the Orlando and Boston area. The 'faster' connection was with a hardline cable hookup. My guess is that the hotels that are getting it are the ones that have had terribly slow connections with their wi-fi., but I don't have that on any good authority. It's just my guess.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

I've also never had a problem getting free internet, including Courtyards.  I see the charge all the time, when trying to connect, but have learned to go ahead and accept it.  If any questions, a quick call to the front desk usually takes care of it. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...