8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2012 9:12 PM by lenae RSS

Cat 1-5 certs - an idea

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

OK, we probably know Marriott won't let us combine certificates to get to a higher cat hotel.  But here's another thought.  If we earn numerous Cat 1-4 or 5 certs, how about allowing us the privilege of converting them to points -- the same amount of points we'd use if we actually did use them.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Cat 1-5 certs - an idea
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hi Prof.

the idea has merit, but the execution would be challenging.  The challenges:  1.  the certs now have a relatively short life before expiration. Thus, many would go unused.  If transferred to points, there would be no expiration and the usage % would go up considerably. 2.  How do you identify the value of the gets without prior knowledge of where and when they would be used?  3.  If you could get past 1 and 2, why even have certs?  Marriott would then be better off with 'points only' bonuses and scrap the entire certificate system.  Am I missing something? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

OK, Shoeman, great points (no pun intended). But there needs to be a way for people whose certs go unused year after year to get something from them. Maybe give half the value in points as an option, to be used by a certain date.  But my real point is esp. if you have made status, these certs are of no value to many of us. From a business standpoint, give me a reason to try for a promotion, or to use my MR Premier card rather than my Amex Delta reserve.

I think this is an important point for discussion and ideas because many of us are unhappy with the current situation, especially for those of us who can't use 4-5 certs for where we travel.

Thanks, ProfC

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Prof

Your last sentence refers to this "current situation". Has there been a change in policy regarding the use of certificates?  Forgive me, but I am not aware of the system used for these certs and I have never received one anyway.

On a broader scale, my desk drawer is filled with certificates and/or coupons for any number of products and services that will never get used. Many are for said products and services that I have no interest in , but am a sucker for 'free' stuff and hoard these coupons as if they were gold.  The vast majority of these 'valuable coupons' or certificates expire without ever seeing the light of day outside my drawer.  It has never dawned on me that I am somehow being cheated by the expiration dates.......... I thin that one of the tricks of the trade regarding these freebies is to have them seem like a nice gift (perk) but in reality, they are virtually worthless......

Enjoy your weekend

Shoeman

Hi Shoeman,

I guess I am referring to what I view as a current situation, over about 4 years.  I do treat certificates from airlines or hotels differently from ones from shoestores or other stuff.  As a loyal member of a program, I expect that when I get 'rewarded', I should be able to use it.  I have not been able to because of the nature and geography of my travels.  So yes, I am referring to elite travel rewards and not other kinds.

Cheers, ProfC

PS - Sorry Shoeman, I was not thinking when I said shoe stores.  But it was the last place I made a purchase on SkymilesShopping.  No offense intended!

goestoeleven Gold

I like the idea -- it certainly adds some flexibility!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Prof:

I actually think the idea of combining certificates to get a higher level hotel would make sense to Marriott. They'd be giving away less free nights when cert's are combined (and saving on staff costs) and the thought of staying at a higher category hotel might mean more restaurant and bar business for Marriott. We certainly don't usually eat or drink at a restaurant or bar in a lower category hotel.

Just think, happy customers who can combine certificates for better value and less cost for Marriott.......

lenae Platinum 8 Reviews

I would love it if Marriott did something other than offer at cat 1-4or 5.  How would it work combining the certificates?  I will really not use a cat 4.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...