9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2013 9:50 AM by genevaflyer RSS

Chase pushing me to another card ...

genevaflyer Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

Just wanted to share a recent answer from Chase with you all.

Following a trip to Europe, where my MR Premier card was refused a few times due to the lack of EMV chip, I sent a question to Chase asking whether they have any plan to add a chip to the Marriott Rewards card.

Other than a long explanation of how the chip works, they encourage me to do the following:

You can apply for one of the below cards with the chip and
signature benefit.

J.P. Morgan Palladium
J.P. Morgan Select
British Airways

Nice to know that I can switch to a different card .... but that really wasn't my question, was it?

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Chase pushing me to another card ...
    lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Interesting response.  Call up again and see if you get a different repsonse!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Well, I replied to them indicating that they had not replied to my question .... so their answer was to (a) tell me there was no plan to add a chip to the Marriott card, (b) tell me to get a different credit card (as well as the same long explanation of what an EMV chip is)

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

mori7 Platinum 1 Reviews

I would drop any credit cards not using the chip.  It is coming in the US fairly soon anyway (more mainstream I mean)! See this:

http://www.dailymarkets.com/personal-finance/2012/03/05/visa-and-mastercard-push-for-chips-on-us-credit-cards/

Mori7

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

This story completely contradicts an article I read recently on the very subject. The feature I read stated that Visa and Mastercard can't roll out  Smartcards in the U.S. because merchants are not willing to pay for all of the new equipment that is required to process them.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Businesses already pay a percentage of each charge plus a another fee for each time the card is swiped.  For small businesses, this just causes them to raise the prices of goods.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Chase recently upgraded the Marriott Rewards credit card site, and with it appeared a new MR Premier card with an EMV chip!  I requested the card and received it about a week later.  It's a lot heavier than the old card and seems like it's made of metal rather than plastic.  Though the card has an EMV chip now, from what I understand it's Chip & Signature only.  Therefore, while it'll be easier to use the card in Europe now, the card still won't work at Chip & Pin only terminals, such as train ticket kiosks.  Unfortunately, very few issuers (if any at all) in the U.S. support Chip & Pin. 

Hi,

Indeed, the new card is available. It has been said that some PIN terminals will either accept a blank PIN or 0000 as the PIN for Chip & Signature cards. More and more countries are moving to the Chip reader only, and thus this is a great step forward.

It is interesting to note that only the Premier card got the chip. The regular card does not.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

All,

Having now used the new card in Europe, a couple of notes:

- It did get rejected in a PIN/Chip terminal

- With the new way in which the number is printed, you can run into some issues, in particular in Italy for car rentals. A number of companies still pass your card through the old machines that prints the embossed information on a paper slip (Sixt for example). One company actually asked for a another card for the print part, or they would have refused me the rental. (Yes, they did admit they were archaic).

- Everywhere else, the card went through with no problem at all.

You do get comments both in the US and Europe about the solidity/heaviness of the card!

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...