5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2012 9:08 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Fall Foliage Cruise

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Have you ever cruised in the northeast United States to see the fall foliage?  I have done some research; however, I would be interested in comments from Insiders who have cruised in this area or live in this area and can make recommendations.  According to the research I have done, many cruises in this area leave from NYC and Boston.  Thanks for your help.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Boston, Massachusetts, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts
New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts
  • Re: Fall Foliage Cruise
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Razorback

Members of my family have done this cruise before and we are planning another one for October of next year.  check it out.

Shoeman.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?voyageCode=D353&Src=email_send_cruise

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

This cruise looks so inviting. I hope your family has a wonderful time.  It is always fun anticipating what a great time you will have.  We will need to wait until my husband retires before he can be away from work for this long in October.  They also have a 7-day cruise; however, the open jaw airfare to Montreal and returning from Boston is over $700 each.  Thanks for the information.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I cruise out of NYC alot.

Have not gone on the Fall Foliage cruise, only because it has very limited sailings, and I have not been able to get away from work at these times, though I would love to go.

Usually I sail on HAL or NCL, and have enjoyed both. Also, have sailed on Celebrity and RCC, both out of Bayonne. and I have friends who have sailed out of Brooklyn on Princess.  Much of it comes down to prices, dates, and your tastes.  Be aware that most of the HAL cruises do not return to the same port, so if you sail out of NYC or Boston, you will need to return from Montreal some other way.

Most of the Fall Foliage cruises now leave out of Boston or NYC, and usually NYC is cheapest for the cruise & air fare, with Boston being more expensive.  Don't forget the weather can be iffy this time of year (I lived in northern new england for years) especially the later into Sep and Oct you go as you go north (link for peak fall folliage chart below)

Vacations To Go is a great website to compare cruises of muliple cruiselines.  It you use their 90 day ticker you will see all the best deals in the industry (they have been doing this for 18+ years now), some of which are up to 80%  off of rack rates, though Fall Folliage sells well, and the best discount is 70% off.   Some that catch my eye are

• HAL Veendam  - NYC - Sep 2nd - 13d - $999 - that's ~$77/day/pp for lodging, food, entertainment
        • NCL GEM  - NYC - Sep 8th - 10d - $749 (~$74/day/pp)
        • Princess - Caribbean Princess - NYC - Sep 15th -  7d - $602 (~$86/dd/pp)
        • NCL Dawn - Boston - Sep 26th - 7n - $949 (~$135/pp) and if you want to return to Boston on a 14d cruise its $7K+ as it looks like they are sold out except suites, and the discount rate is only 2%

http://www.vacationstogo.com/ticker.cfm

http://www.yankeefoliage.com/peak-foliage-forecast-map/

Gem, thank you for the information.  I had discovered the yankeefoliage website and it has a wealth of information.  Iknow the weather can be iffy; however, we are tied to 1-week in October.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

RB, There are similiar deals in Oct as well, mostly in the 40-60% discount range.  I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, as they are all very nice

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...