35 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2012 9:53 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Suite Upgrades for Platinum Elite Members in Asia Pacific!!! New Benefit 8/8/2012

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Suite Upgrades Now Benefit for Platinum Members in Asia Pacific

Marriott Rewards | Asia Pacific Suite Upgrade

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Complimentary suite upgrades are subject to availability for Platinum Elite members staying at participating hotels located in Asia Pacific.

Participating hotel brands in Asia Pacific include: JW Marriott® Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott® Hotels & Resorts and Courtyard by Marriott® Hotels.

Hotel locations in Asia Pacific include: Australia, China (including Hong Kong S.A.R.), Guam, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam. In Japan and South Korea, suite upgrades may be limited and may be offered at the hotel’s discretion.

Complimentary Suite Upgrade: Generally, based on availability at check-in; in some cases, availability is determined later in the day. Limited to a Member’s personal guestroom. Upgrades include most available suite types, except Presidential Suites, Chairman Suites and other signature suites. For stays greater than 3 nights, suite upgrades are subject to the hotel’s discretion.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Suite Upgrades for Platinum Elite Members in Asia Pacific!!!
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

My experience in Asia Pacific has already been excellent in getting Suite upgrades in Asia Pacific. Now Marriott needs to have the same perk throughout the world!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Suite Upgrades for Platinum Elite Members in Asia Pacific!!!
      erc Platinum

My question is, how did you respond before you posted ? ha    Thanks for the heads up of this good news, Sydney here I come.

• Re: Suite Upgrades for Platinum Elite Members in Asia Pacific!!! New Benefit 8/8/2012
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

This is a nice add to the Platinum program! I agree it would be nice to have it added to all properties, but it's probably just wishful thinking.....

• Re: Suite Upgrades for Platinum Elite Members in Asia Pacific!!! New Benefit 8/8/2012
    ohmark Platinum

This policy appears to be no different than the current upgrade policy every else in the world.  In other words, upgrades can include suites, if the HOTEL determines availability.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ohmark

not exactly correct.  the current policy active everywhere else specifies that suites are NOT part of the upgrade plan.  Of course you are correct that any property can upgrade you to whatever room they choose, but now, suites have been put on the table as a policy 'perk' in South Asia.  I applaud their decision.

ohmark Platinum

No disrespect Shoeman; but when you post to correct somebody else, you might want to check before you post, just to make sure you're right.  Marriott Platinum Reward Status | Marriott Platinum Elite Benefits

Gold Before
          • Gold Exclusive Offers

Gold During

• Free Internet Access ***
          • Room upgrade ¶¶¶
          • Guaranteed room type † ** †††
          • Guaranteed lounge access/breakfast §§§
          • Free local phone║ & and free local fax ¶ &
          • Discounted long-distance phone calls §§§ &
          • Hertz #1 Gold membership

Gold After

• 25% bonus on points for stays ¶¶
          • Gold customized rewards

Platinum Before
          • 48-Hour Guaranteed Availability **
          • Platinum Exclusive Elite Offers
          • Dedicated Platinum reservation line

Platinum During

• Guaranteed Platinum arrival gift

Platinum After
          • 50% bonus on points for stays ¶¶
          • Platinum customized rewards

* A qualifying night is any night stayed at a participating hotel, and paid for by the member with cash/credit card.
          † Benefit varies by participating brand. See Elite Terms & Conditions for details.
          § Weekend Discount: Available at participating Courtyard and SpringHill Suites locations in the U.S. and Canada.
          ¶ Free Local Fax: Available at participating Courtyard, Fairfield Inn & Suites and SpringHill Suites.
          & Available only at participating U.S. and Canada locations.

Ohmark

First of all, no disrespect taken.  Nor was I attempting to 'one-up' you.  However, please see below from the MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS portion of the Marriott Rewards program currently on the website.  Take particular note to the last point.  I believe I am right!!!

║ Not available at The Ritz-Carlton and EDITION hotels.
          ** Not available at Marriott Vacation Club.
          †† Gift Shop Discount: Available at participating JW Marriott hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels, Marriott Hotels & Resorts and Marriott Vacation Club. For participating Ritz-Carlton and EDITION hotels: 10% discount on logo merchandise only.
          §§ Bonus on Marriott Rewards base points not available at ExecuStay and Marriott Executive Apartments.
          ¶¶ Bonus points earned only on cash/credit card stays; redemption stays excluded. Not available at ExecuStay and Marriott Executive Apartments.
          *** Free Internet Access: Available at participating Marriott brand hotels and The Ritz-Carlton hotels.
          ††† Not available at The Ritz-Carlton and EDITION hotels.
          §§§ Available at participating JW Marriott hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels, and Marriott Hotels & Resorts (not available at resort locations).
          ¶¶¶ Room Upgrade: At no additional charge, we’ll do our best to upgrade you to our best-available guest room in the next room category level. Suites are excluded. Not available at Marriott Vacation Club.

ohmark Platinum

Shoeman; you're posting the old language.  It was changed a couple of months ago and posted right here on Marriott Insiders by a Marriott rep.  If you click on the link I posted above, you will see the new language which is

:

"Room Upgrade

For Platinum Elite members the best way is up! So every time you check in,
            we'll do our best to upgrade you to a premium room - at no additional charge –
            for your entire stay.  Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on
            high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive
            Floors, or suites, subject to availability identified by each hotel."

So, when you say you believe you are right Shoeman, in actuality you were right as of a few months ago.  Not now.. Marriott Platinum Reward Status | Marriott Platinum Elite Benefits

ohmark

the 'old language' is taken from the 'new corporate post' that Jasper attached.  please link into the terms and conditions of that 'new corporate post'.  Heck, I hope you're right.  I wonder why neither of these pieces of info have a date attached to them??????????

ohmark Platinum

Jasper is wrong.  As you probably know, michellel is Marriott exec managing the elite program.  Here is her post of June 7, 2012:

Greetings, Everyone!  So happy to report that we have made changes to both our marketing copy and Terms & Conditions to more accurately reflect the existing upgrade benefit on property.  Just to reiterate - the benefit was never changed - but we did shoot ourselves in the foot by not being totally clear in our language.    It will take upward of 4 weeks to change the language across all of the touch points, so your patience is greatly appreciated.  With your help, we believe we've rectified the former confusion. Thanks for making us better.  STANDING OVATION FOR OUR INSIDERS COMMUNITY! 

Marketing Copy:

For Platinum and Gold Elite members the best way is up! So every time you check in, we'll do our best to upgrade you to a premium room - at no additional charge – for your entire stay.  Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites, subject to availability identified by each hotel.  See terms and conditions for details.

Terms and Conditions:

Complimentary Room Upgrade: Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suitesAll upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel. Not available at Marriott Vacation Club.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/10308

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

pained and shoeman -- For what it's worth, let me tell y'all about my latest upgrade experience and I haven't even arrived yet.  I'm staying 5 nights on points (normal rate of 35k per night - get 5th night free) in Sept at Harbor Beach Resort in Ft Lauderdale.  About a week or two after I made the reservation on line, I checked my upcoming reservations listing and saw that for that stay I had been upgrreaded to the Turtle Suite, which by the way has a large wrap around balcony right on the ocean and beach.  I called the hotel and learned that the upgrade was complimentary and they looked forward to our arrival.  We're pumped!  So whatever the policy is now, this is ground level reporting.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Husker:

Now that's what I like to hear! A suite upgrade before you get there! Now we're talkin'..... Don't forget to bring those shades for the upgrade view!!

Husker

must have been a sympathy upgrade.........  I have never had the fortune of that happening to me, maybe next time.  Congrats and ENJOY!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

(Aren't forums fun sometimes?)

Husker, I am very happy for you guys and your prior to check-in upgrade.  It creates a lot of excitement, good will and anticipation for a great trip, I would imagine.  That is truly stellar ground level reporting (but I can't help but wonder if you aren't a rock star among the Marriott folks - Husker preceded by his reputation! )

In all seriousness, good, bad, right or wrong, like Pained stated, for me it remains to be seen whether or not we will see more upgrades across the board, especially when it comes to suites.  New copy or old copy, at the end of the day, it's up to the hotel and how they want to play it, whether or not it's part of their management policy, how booked the property is, etc.  As a gold member, I have no expectations of upgrades.  I figure if it's hard enough for Platinums to get upgraded consistently, it's certainly not worth getting MY hopes up, and so then  when I do get an upgrade, I am a happy - well, not camper, but guest.

Along the same lines, I have read a number of happy posts where Platinums have reserved basic or garden view rooms (on points as well as cash) and been upgraded.  For me, if I know that I want a certain room type, ie. ocean front or a suite, etc. and anything less won't do, I feel more comfortable just making the paid reservation for what I want.  (I mean, I'd prefer it as a free upgrade of course, but if it's what I want, I really don't want to risk the potential for disappointment.)  For example, we need to stay overnight in Reno in Nov.  Want to use a cat 1-4 cert. at a FFI, but really need a suite (for 3 persons - no queen beds, only doubles).  Would love the free upgrade, but what if we get there, and no can do?  So with points and certs, it can be a real gamble sometimes.  (And I hope the "stay on topic" police don't blast me for veering slightly off center of the topic.)

klaus29 Silver

hi  Jasper

i think you remember, for me its work  alredy longtime. just one example.,  in the JW Marriott  in  Jakarta,  with  points  i get a upgrate to a gouvernor suite,four years ago;   .

maximumbob62 Platinum 1 Reviews

I just spent a week at the Seoul Renaissance and was upgraded to a corner suite.  Very nice room, excellent service.  Good for US travellers with jet lag is that the gym is open 24/7, and has outstanding facilities.  Free breakfast on the 23rd floor, or in the concierge lounge on the 21st floor.  Open bar and snacks in the evening,could (and did) just eat dinner there at night.  But, go out the hotel on the third floor,turn right, up the hill one block, and it's entertainment center.  Go down one block, look up to the second floorwith patio seating.  Outstanding Korean grill.  Great, great location.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...