20 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2012 8:00 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Orlando - Miami

anuragkaul Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am planning to go to Miami from Orlando..probably drive..need ideas on what is the best way to spend the day in Miami..

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Orlando, Florida,
  • Re: Orlando - Miami
    sg1974 Gold

It really depends what interests you have.

We were in the Miami area late last year and had a great time.

What I enjoyed in the area was:

The Wolfsonian Institute http://www.wolfsonian.org/visit

The buildings in the art deco art of Miami beach.

Vizcaya Museum: http://www.vizcayamuseum.com/plan-general.asp

We stayed at Biltmore Hotel which was an attraction itself.

This is just a couple of suggestions there are plenty of interesting things to see and do.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I enjoy Calle Ocho!

Its like a mini-trip to Cuba

Watch the men playing checkers in the park, try the food, watching them rolling cigars....

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Go to the Beach, The are some nice nature walks to do in several parks.  Check out TripAdvisor for more suggestions, than what has been commented on in this thread.

mcarroll Platinum

The guided tours of miami, coconut grove, etc are great.

*) Eat the cuban food and have a "Cafe colada"  Rich black coffee with lots of sugar

*) See the venetian pool coconut grove near the Biltmore hotel.

*) Eat at Culebrinos Near 25th street and Brickell.

*) Drive across the venetian causeway.  From Brickell Ave next to Marriott Biscayne Bay to South Beach

*) See Lumus park on south beach.

*) Come back across the MacAuthur causeway, turn into Star island.  There is a guard shack but just tell them you are looking around.  It is not private.  They will just say stay out of private residences.

*) History of Miami Museum downtown same complex as Miami LIbrary.

*) Eat dinner after dark at Rusty Pelican, Rusty Pelican Miami Just across Rickenbacker causeway.  Upscale but not rediculous.  Best view of Miami at night from across bay.   Or Garcia's on the Miami river near 10th ave. Garcias Seafood Grill and Fish Market | Miami, FL | 305.375.0765  Best stone crabs, FL lobsters, seafood reasonable prices.

That's about all you have time for. 

I like to stay at the Miami Biscayne Bay mentioned above.  Skyline is awesome at night. 

I'm going to do this next time I am in Miami myself.

sounds like the tour I took on my cruise stop.

I had been to Miami so many times, just passiing through, and never really had the time to see Miami, that I actually took a cruise out of the Northeast that had Miami as a cruise stop (as well as Key West being a person who does not like long car trips).

I have to say the tour was great, we pretty much hit everything on your list above with the exception of eating on shore.

mgoes2 Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

There are some great suggestions listed above.  Will you only be staying in Miami one night?  It's not too bad of a drive from Orlando to Miami on the Turnpike.  If you're driving at dusk, sometimes you can see some of the small Florida deer near the roadside.

A cruise down Calle Ocho is a must, stop by the Versailles for lunch or at least a pastry with cafe cubano Versailles Restaurant - Miami - The World's Most Famous Cuban Restaurant

Personally, my favorite dinner spot in Miami is Michael's Genuine Michaels Genuine - Fresh, Simple, Pure.  The food and energetic Miami vibe make it a fun place.  It's located in the Design district, which is not as crazy as South Beach or downtown. 

Another thing that's always nice to do is the cruise around the houses, etc. that departs from Bayfront.  It's not too long, but is a pleasant way to experience Miami from the Intercoastal Waterway.  A nice thing to do at sunset or nighttime.

The next morning go hang-out and people watch at South Beach.  If your here past October 11, it's stone crab season, so you can have lunch at Joe's Stone Crab http://www.joesstonecrab.com/    

anuragkaul Platinum

Thanks guys..BEST beach in Miami???

For me, I love the beach that Eden Roc is on.  You can walk forever, well, at least to South Beach.

Agreed!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Agree, the beach at the Eden Roc is great!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Instead of driving you may also want to consider flying down.  Spirit Airlines has a direct flight from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale for $39. each way.

that is an incredible price

p.s. given the price of gas these days, you might end up spending that much alone driving.

Just remember that Spirit charges lots of fees on top of that cheap fare...even for your carry on bag. 

really?  I never knew this.

What types of charges?  I've never flown on this airline to date.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I haven't flown on Spirit either but according to their website you can bring one personal item like a small backpack, briefcase, or laptop on for free as long as it fits under the seat in front on you.  They do charge for the larger carry on bags in addition to checked luggage.  Here is a link to their baggage fees:

Spirit Airlines - cheap tickets, cheap flights, discount airfare, cheap hotels, cheap car rentals, cheap travel

Even with one checked bag paid online for $28 in addition to $39 for the one way ticket from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale it is still a very good deal at $67 and beats driving 3.5 to 4 hours to get there.

Agree on the flying vs drinving cost!

Good to know to consider for future use

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...