7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2012 11:25 AM by GemPrincess RSS

Very Newbie Question

bevg Silver
Currently Being Moderated

This may seem like a no brainer but I've never had a rewards program before.  What is the difference between points earned and nights earned?  I have a reservation at a Marriott in Denver and am wondering if I can use my "nights earned" for the reservation versus points.  I'd like to save the points for airline travel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Very Newbie Question
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

What are the 'nights earned that you are referring to? Are they nights earned for stays or a tracking program for paid stays as part of a promotion that earns a free night certificate?

Usually, nights earned are compiled through stays and credit card purchases on the Marriott Visa Card. These 'nights earned' show up on your 'Activity Page' on marriott.com. They are not redeemable for anything as they track to get you Elite status for silver (10 nights) Gold (50 nights) or Platinum (75 nights).

Points earned are points that are credited to your Marriott Rewards account for paid stays at Marriott properties and purchases made on the Marriott credit card. Points can be used for a reservation and the amount of points needed for a night are different depending on the category (1 - 8) of the hotel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi Bev:

here are the rules for the Rewards program if they will help you:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/default.mi

Happy Travels!

Or, you can go to this page and click on the "EARN"   "USE" and "BENEFITS" and a lot of good stuff will come up for you to look at regarding the program.

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi

Hope this helps!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

The way I like to think about it is

• nights earned - count toward your status of Silver-Gold-Platinum, you get 1 night earned for every nite you stay.  Depending on your status you get different perks.
    • points earned are for the $$$s spent.  Points are spendable as you can redeem them for free nights, and other things.

The rewards program attachment in the previous post from tef spells it all out for you.

curiousone Platinum

Just be aware that if you use points to spend a night, that night will NOT count towards a night earned for elite status. To earn a night credit to elite status you must use currency to pay for the room (or Marriott Cheques).

bevg Silver

I guess I was thinking that the "nights earned" (which says 18) was something tangible in terms of having that many free night stays.  But if I am understanding your answers, it is just what is taking me to the next level of awards (Silver, etc.)

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

That is correct. "nights earned" counts towards status. Also, with different status levels you earn additional points on stays.

The points are what you use for a free stay, which will vary depending on the category of the hotel.  You need more points for a higher level property.  A minimum free night is usually 20-25K, though I have seen a few in the directory for 10-15K, but very few.  The higher category properties are usually more.  In NYC its usually a minimum of 30K.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...