44 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2013 8:32 AM by absolutelegend1 RSS

Recent thoughts on the Renaissance Naples Mediterraneo?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Both in Safari and Firefox, I am never able to post in destinations because when it gets to the three step process (and I fill it in), it tells me in red:

You must specify a valid location

Anyway, here is what I wrote:

Hi all,

Have any of you stayed at the Renaissance Naples Mediterraneo recently?  If so, could you give me your thoughts both about the hotel as well as the areas surroundings? I'm having a terrible time finding a detailed map of Naples online and the one on the hotel website either gets too close in or too close out.  After getting a very recent tour guidebook on Naples, I'm having second thoughtss.  I would want to know that the hotel is in a very safe part of the city, and easy to find.

So if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it!
ProfChiara

Message was edited by: communitymanager

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Naples, Italy Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo
  • Re: Recent thoughts on the Renaissance Naples Mediterraneo?
    GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

FYI...on your error message, its the MI website error message.  I find that if you searh on a location and select it that it works, even if you are already at that location.  Doesn't make sense to me, other than it must not know where it is at until you select it.

On the Renaissance Naples Mediterraneo, looks really interesting!

I have never stayed in Naples, as we docked there a few blocks away on our cruise.  While I was picked up by our driver just off the boat and never really walked around the area, but I do see that the Capri Ferry landing is there as well.  I did meet a group of women [CO FAs] on vacation on the cruise with us, who fly the EWR-ROM route regularly, and they decided to just walk from the ship to the Capri Ferry from the ship.  They did not report any problems, and I got the feeling from the way they were talking that they have done this many times before.  They also took the train from Civitavecchia port to Rome as well.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Andy fixed the error message I kept getting with destinations no matter what browser I used.  Apparently I was not always or usually clicking 'add tags' after the three step hotel ID process.  Once I did that my test message worked. So in case anyone else has the same problem try that.

Thanks!

Just checking out the Marriott Website and Trip Advisor, and it looks like a very nice place - maybe Naples answer to Marriott Athens Ledra?  Anyways I would defnately give it a try.

1) Rooftop garden, restaurant and whirlpool with views of Napoli port & Mt Vesuvius.  There is no pool like the Ledra though. One reviewer in TripAdvisor said, "... wonderful rooftop breakfast veranda-which is curiously not available for drinks or dinner, breakfast only."   Wonder if this is still true. Maybe because of the heat mid-day?

2) Trip Advisor Reviews primarily positive (75% Excellent/Good, 15% Fair; 10% Poor/Terrrible) .  Most negative reviews sound like folks not use to traveling in Europe (steps to front door, room & closet size, fixed food service times, logistics of European garages, reacting to Naples, etc), and most pretty old.   The one interesting comment made was that now they know the logistics they would have stayed in Sorrento, which would be my choice as well, and what my guide recommended on the last trip.  He said Sorrento is a transportation hub, so its easy to get anywhere in Italy from there. You can even day trip to Rome which costs a lot more to stay.  Unfortunately, there is no Marriott in Sorrento that I am aware of.  I did search on Sorreto, but this is the only hotel that comes up.

Interesting review on location which for me is the most important thing when I am traveling to explore, " ...it is truely in an ideal location to explore Naples on foot. We walked everywhere including to the Museo Archeologica Nationale that takes about twenty minutes. We even walked with our small rollaboard suitcases from the Napoli Centrale train station to the hotel but be forewarned, it is over a 30 minute hike. The Castel Nuovo is one block away as are numerous excellent restaurants including Hosteria Toledo (the hotel also had two very nice restaurants). Just two blocks from the hotel is Via Toledo, a busy street that they close off for pedestrian traffic only from about 5:00 to 11:00 pm that creates a party atmosphere with families and tourists strolling together and just enjoying the evening.   We found the hotel staff to be very courteous and helpful, often going out of their way to make sure our stay was memorable. We asked for a room on a high floor with a view of the water and we had a great view of the bay, Castel Nuovo, and Mt. Vesuvius. We also asked the staff to unlock our large picture window so that we were able to have a nice breeze in our room in the evenings. It's worth asking for a room with a similar view of the busy harbor. The breakfast served on the top floor was excellent with a picturesque view of the harbor and Mt. Vesuvius.  Naples is a great city to visit, but to enjoy it you must walk down the ancient streets to get a real feel for the city and that requires a hotel with a good location. The Mediterraneo fits that perfectly."

86% GemPrincess - I think I had noticed the comment about the nearness to the Castel Nuovo but not fully processed it.  The problem is that the Marriott website says the Dante subway stop is .3 mi away, but it looks really far on most Naples maps.  It may be that the city center is really tiny (which would help).

I only need a few more of you to talk me into it since I'm strongly leaning that direction... :)

ProfC

Looking at mapquest am getting a different routing depending on whether its from the hotel to the station, or the station to the hotel, and the estimates are closer to a mile.  The 0.3 miles may be as the crow flies, and not walking the streets of Naples

Dante Station to Hotel - 4 mins / 0.98 mi

Hotel to Dante Station - 4 mins / 0.87 mi

Hi GemPrincess,

It's pretty funny to use crow, flying, or driving distances from a metro stop .  Anyway, I'm a happy camper now that I have my Eyewitness Travel Guide to the Amalfi Coast, which has a perfect map of Naples, including the street the hotel is on -- it looks very central to the Castel Nuovo and Port, so I think I'm at about 95% now.  It remains only to watch the 10 day weather forecasts.  Lately Rome has been hotter than Naples, probably because of the Sea of Naples.

Thanks for all your help!
          ProfC

Hi ProfC,

Am envious of you!  Only wish I was there too.

Just started a great book called, A mapmaker's Dream" which is a translation of  Monk Fra Mauro's journal entitled, "The Mediations".who lived on San Lazzaro degli Armeni in the Venetian lagoon at the monastary of the Mechitar Fathers after they were expelled from Morea Monastery by the Turks.  Anyways this monk has created a map without every traveling anywhere by using the accounts from other travelers written n many different languages, and becomes the official mapmaker for the pope.  Of course it only makes me want to go there and experience it for myself.

Eyewitness Travel Guide is one of my favorites as they have have great maps including museum layouts, and they also have the abbreviated version that fits in the purse for travel.

Happy travels!

Hi GemPrincess,

Actually it was not that unusual for medieval people (the few highly literate ones) to go on virtual pilgrimages or travels.  While Marco Polo definitely went, John de Mandeville wrote a late medieval 'bestseller' called the Travels of JM, mashing together everything he'd heard from Italian traders and Franciscans and Dominicans who had traveled to Africa, India and the Far East.  Everyone, including Columbus, believed it was true (and to some degree it was since it was based on other sources, except JM added stories of his own) and so he had certain expectations for when he reached the 'Far East.'  We know how that turned out.

I am definitely going to Naples.  Even the weather there is cooler than Rome, but I sealed the deal by booking a return flight from Naples to Rome on Alitalia early in the morning (my flight leaves FCO at 11:45, and this one will get me there at 8am without having to deal with not only the train but getting from central Rome's Termini stop to the airport).  It was not that much more expensive.

The eyewitness guide for Naples is fabulous.

Cheers, ProfChiara

Hi ProfC,

Sounds like an interesting book, The Travels of JM", maybe when I finish with my map making bbok. I guess we forget how accessible travel is nowdays.  Come to think of it, alot of the histories contained accounts other than the author.  Even Herodotius, The Histories, has accounts from other travelers recorded. In a way, this MI blog is a modern day version, as we are all travelers sharing our experiences, so of which others may use by doing, or just talking about with others.

Another very good book I recently finished, and is inspiring towards another  Italy trip is Maltilde, Countess of Tuscany.  Haven't spent much time in northern Italy, but I think these books are inspiring me to plan one soon.

There were definitely lots of fascinating medieval women from Italy and elsewhere throughout Europe -- as I said, Queen Joanna of Naples will be the subject of this trip.  I've probably spent more time in Tuscany than elsewhere only because I led some alumni tours there, but Rome and Venice are by now close seconds.

You're right -- 500 years from now someone can piece together a guidebook from our comments!

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Dear Prof,

I'm not sure whether 3 years ago counts as "recently", but for what it is worth here are/were my main reactions:

1. The Hotel itself - rooms OK; staff helpful; breakfasts on the roof terrace very good; gym average, bar fine, especially when entertained on the nearby piano by the Captain of a late Al Italia flight who clearly enjoyed Verdi;

2. Safe: a tricky assessment in modern-day Naples, but I was never overly concerned;

3. Easy to find: if you are familiar with the main thoroughfares of the city, yes - if not, you might struggle a little on the first visit. A bus from the Airport stops within 8-10 mins.

Overall, I found revisiting the city a sad experience. I did not expect that it could have deteriorated further, but it has.

Good luck,

A

Thanks, Arkwright!  I'll be working in archives part of the time and in my spare time I am considering day tours to Capri and Vesuvius, so I probably won't be spending that much time wandering around Naples (except searching for the well at Santa Chiara where Queen Joanna was thrown into after her murder).

Is there a CL?

Thanks a lot!

Best, ProfChiara

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Prof,

No CL - or at least if there was, they didn't encourage me to use it!

There's a narrow gauge rail (Circumvesuviana) down to Sorrento which passes through Pompeii, or at least thereabouts; the problem is that all the station signs are so covered in graffiti that it's difficult to know exactly where you are.

As for dumping in wells, I suspect that these days this is a monopoly of the Camorra!!

Enjoy,

A

So now, I guess I know how the book will turn out, as I have half way through :=)

The hotel is not far from the port.  Per map quest its a little under a mile to walk, but 2 miles to drive. There are 2 ferry terminals for the Capri Ferry.  The hydrofoil (leaves every 20 minutes and takes 40 minutes for ~20 EUD) leaves from Molo Beverello, which is right next to the cruise ship terminal, and the ferry (3/day takes 80 minutes for ~14 EUD) and fast ferry (4/day takes 50 minutes for ~18 EUD) leave from Calata Porta di Massa with a shuttle running between the two terminals. According to the reviews the hydrofoil can be a rough ride depending on the seas, so if you have a tendency towards sea sickness, the fast ferry might be best.  Several reviewers said the larger the ferry the better in their opinion.

Also, there is a ferry from Sorrento as well.  Its 20 minutes by hydrofoil and 30 minutes by fast ferry.

So you could take the ferry to Capri, and then take the ferry to Sorrento, and return by train to Naples. Or take the train to Sorrento and use the Sorrento ferry back and forth as its shorter.

There are a couple of nice links and maps available online

http://www.capri.com/images/capri-how-to-get-here.pdf

http://www.tomsportguides.com/Naples-04-10-2011.pdf

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm enjoying the research and the comments....keep it up, gang.

Thanks so much, GemPrincess!  You may be thinking about killing me after I write this, but I changed my reservation to Rome after reading Arkwright's post.  (Don't feel bad, Arkwright -- that is exactly the info I wanted.) Now what I plan to do after realizing Napoli is so close by train -- funny since I know geography well that I thought it was significantly further south -- is to take the train there and return to Rome during two of the days and working in the Vatican archives and library the others. And that means the ferry schedules, GemPrincess, will be that much more useful since I won't take a tour.

And I decided to stay at the Grand Flora, even though I think the Central Park Marriott is a wonderful hotel (and packs big bang for the bucks). I just can't get over what happened when I came home after my last stay there(nothing at all to do with them).  So Via Veneto it is.

Seriously, this is when our discussion forum seems to be at best at least for me.  Arkwright's comments really hit something that was bothering me since the Rick Steves' book arrived, even though the Eyewitness guide partially dispelled it.  I know it's weird that I feel totally comfortable in the Middle East, but at least I know their sense of hospitality usually prevents unpleasant incidents for visitors.  I think when the day comes that I do Sicily (which I really want to do) -- I should take a guided tour.  Except that I'd have to be with all those people ...

But at least I'm facing one of my demons (not the Dan Brown variety -- fun entertainment, awful history) by returning to my beloved city of Rome.

The Hermit from Maine (ProfChiara)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Professor, I'm trying not to cross my arms and tap my foot while thinking, "Really?"  But the beauty of being woman is the ability and having the option to change one's mind, and YAY! for Grand Flora and facing that demon.  I hope you get to Pompeii and Sorrento and Capri and Amalfi. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/10592

I put a Roman restaurant and bakery suggestion in the above thread if you would like to check it out.

another restaurant suggestion to add to Pluto's.  Its a bit futher afield (Positano) but highly recommended to me by our local office in Italy, e.g. several of my colleagues went there while on business travel.  Also, three flite attendants on one of my cruises who work the EWR-ROM flites regularly go down there to eat on the weekends.  It has great views as its up the mountain, family owned, so they greet you as you enter, all food served family style, wine included, all fixed price.  The vegetables and herbs are grown there on the spot, the wine and olive oil made by neighbors. And my Sorrento friends tell me that each area has a distinct flavor to the fresh mozzarella cheese and that positano is highly prized.  The family also all play different musical instruments and sing. Its an overwhelming sensory explosion of food, wine, music, song and views.  I would recommend lunch though as its best seen in daylight.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g194863-d1060573-Reviews-La_Tagliata-Positano_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html

Thanx for all the feedback. Will come in handy when I finally get around to going [other than a 1 day cruise stop].

As for Sicily, one of my friends at work is Sicilian ( so speaks Sicilian, and Italian as a 2nd language) and she travels back frequently with her mother, and they also travel around the rest of Italy a bit, so I have been trying get more recommendations on this.  I am not certain there is a Marriott in Sicily.  My friend stays in a property her family owns and maintains.  I am not certain if they rent it out or are willing to share but have been exploring this possibility as it would be the best way to really see that part of Italy.  One thing is for certain, my Italian will improve :=)

p.s. My friends in Sorrento suggested I use Sorrento as a base, and daytrip from there to Rome.

If they think that Rome is a daytrip from Sorrento (and they live and work there year round),

then Napoli, Sorrento and Capri are definately day trips from Rome :=)

Thanks to all of you for suggestions and ideas!  And I do plan to head south a couple of the days.   No Sicily Marriotts, alas!  Off to the airport...

Mille grazie a tutti!  I am in Detroit after an unconventional small flight from BGR. After the incoming people and attendants got off they closed the door. I was standing near the door (Delta first is starting to mean a little, even from BGR, where it didn't exist on little planes) and the ongoing flight attendants and pilots. Suddenly bells and whistles at the door as an innocuous looking woman came through from the plane. TSA rushed toward the door, asked urgently if she had come from the plane -- even as she moved toward the flight attendants, and then asked to see her ID.  She was an official from the FAA -- I got to see her ID when she pulled it out.  I have seldom seen anyone so embarrassed in her life and of course our flight crew was laughing hysterically (I joined in).  Apparently at BGR you have to push a button from the inside before you try to get out of a closed door.

Anyway, another thing that made my day was Pluto's comment! I laughed hysterically as I imagined you crossing your arms and tapping your foot and maybe??? pursing your lips or going tsk tsk as I backed out of Naples!  I know it was the right decision to stay in Rome and visit Naples because I feel good about it en route.  Better that I check out Naples first for a day then see if in the future I want to stay there. That's how I first did Greece (just in Athens with a few group tours), and now you can't keep me away. But two divergent tour books and Arkwright's comments decided me I should go back to Rome, feel good about overcoming my demons (I lOVE Rome, after all) and see if I feel Naples is okay.  I think Sicily would be just fine because I've been told the only way you should do that is in a group or on a tour.  But as Arkwright mentioned, if you know the streets of Naples, it's easy -- but I only ever passed through above the city on the Autostrade years ago en route to Pompeii because that tour guide said they could not guarantee our safety.

I will know I have made the wrong decision if my flight gets diverted to Naples.   But if it does, I still have to go to Rome, because my Grand Flora reservation is noncancellable.

Ciao, ProfChiara

Prego!

Its been interesting planning and replanning, looking at all the options through everyone's perspective.

Reflecting on it all though, we may be overthinking a bit, cause Rome, Naples, Sorrento are not that far apart. They are day trips on the train, so we should stay where we are comfortable and travel to what we want to see.

p.s. if you get stuck in DTW, let me know as I have family & friends there that may be able to help out.

Si, si -- sono alla Flora.  All went well in DTW (as it usually does unlike JFK) and the plane landed in Rome an hour early.  It's very, very hot here (but fortunately not in my room). I was surprised to get a 1st floor (actually 2nd) room, but I think I have it figured out.  I picked the cheapest room rate which was a small twin room but this is very large with a king bed looking directly at the walls of the Borghese Gardens.  I  have a feeling since it's so much nicer than rooms I've had in the past here that they may be refurbishing upwards.

Alas, I somehow didn't pack most of my makeup (probably while I was hiding packing in my walk-in closet so that Leelee would not know till the last minute, so I will have to make a foray out fairly soon.

You're absolutely right about everything being so close.  I sat next to a flight attendant coming over who was taking a Med cruise and she said she really didn't like going to Naples in recent years.

I almost had another catastrophe getting my suitcase down from the rack because it went backwards over my head. Fortunately I found out that I can manage to fling my arms completely over my head while grabbing for a heavy object. Those around me were quite amazed and an old lady helped catch it. And no jetbridge incidents (knock on wood)...

Ciao, ProfC

Sounds like all went well!

Great info on the hotel!

Also, Interesting info from the FA.  I find I get great info from FAs (especially where to shop) cause they themselves travel so much, and they talk alot with others traveling alot.  Seems the favored vaca among FAs is cruising the med.

Too bad you didn't notice the make-up while you still had a chance in duty free, either in DTW or on the plane.

Looking forward to hearing more about your travels in Italy!

Hi,

Yes, indeed, though this FA has flown everywhere in her free time. While she mostly does short hops throughout the US as a flight attendant, she's gone in her free time to Dubai, Beijing, everywhere in Europe and the Middle East (we talked Egypt a lot), Rio, and wants to go Africa. It was one of the most interesting conversations I've had with a seatmate.  And although we were in economy comfort, the first class FA came back to welcome me by name, address me as Plutonium !!!! status (no such thing on Delta either -- maybe SteppingStones has taken up a new position) and asked if he could do anything special for me during the flight. I said a glass of champagne would be nice, which I got, though my FA seatmate did not.

All over good experience. Heading south today, though the weather is wicked hot.

Saluti,

Its nice to travel with FAs.  The ladies from my cruise let me pre-board with them. Then they had the FAs working the flite send me wine before any refreshments were being served.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Have a wonderful trip.  I still would like for you to lead a group of Insiders on a trip to Italy.....

I just got back from Naples around 9:30pm (Italy time) and have to say one day told me I made the right decision. What an ugly miserable city!  It looked like Rome did in Fellini's post-Mussolini films of ugly high rises, rather unpleasant people (for Italians), etc.  The only thing I liked was the Castel Nuovo, 12th C. right at the port. Now that was cool.  It's just everything around it was not.

I will probably go one more time, probably to try to find a second time to find Joanna's well (I'm thinking it got destroyed at some point) and going to Capri.  But all I can say is ugh!

Are you going to stop by the Marriott and check it out?

I also think you made the right decision, for yet another reason.  If all MIs avoided hotels with a CL, or a CL closed on the weekend without breakfast tickets to the restaurant,and instead focused our business where we are taken care, I think it could be very noticeable.  We could perhaps the business sense in not maintaining the CL.

p.s. I meant to type, hotels WITHOUT a CL, or a closed CL with no alternate for breakfast, drinks and snacks but paying for it in the restaurant

I briefly checked it out from the outside and it looks fine, but I really didn't like the area at all.  Between all the ugly  (really ugly) high rise buildings near the port (the hotel isn't that far away from the Castel Nuovo) and then all the industrial buildings everywhere else, I wouldn't consider a stay -- although the people at the RN were super nice when I wrote in advance when still planning to go there.  I didn't go in, but Arkwright says there is no CL.  I agree, maybe we should boycott full service Marriotts without CLs or giving equivalent benefits.  It rarely affects me, because European Marriotts do one or the other.

Plus I arrived back to my room last night at the Flora with goodies and a note from the manager welcoming me back.  It's the small touches that can make all the difference.

ProfC

Sounds realy nice.  I will need to remember that property when I go for an extended trip to Rome.

I am still reading Lady Queen, about 1/3rd of the way through where Quene Joanna successfully sidesteps the papal legate assigned.  I am enjoying it much having heard the story from the other side, the Hungarian, from my Hungarian mother though they still vacationed in Italy, even in the days when folks did not travel much.

absolutelegend1 Platinum 2 Reviews

I went to this hotel in the Summer for 3 nights, and I echo most of the comments already said:

Nice enough city hotel, with a decent location near the castle and port.  Rooms were fine, as were the other main areas of the hotel.  The exception was having breakfast on the roof which was a real treat every morning.  The staff were OK too.

We did 2 day 'trips'; one to Capri, and the other to Versuvius / Pompeii.  We thoroughly enjoyed both. Naples itself was fine, and we didn't feel unsafe at all.  It's not the prettiest of cities, but interesting enough all the safe.  We used the station and airport, and found both to be absolutely fine despite the scare stories I read beforehand.

We went onto Roma Gran Flora, Florence AC Hotel, and then Venice Boscolo.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...