Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

26 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2012 8:36 AM by profchiara RSS

More spam direct messages

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I don't know if this has happened again to others, but I just got another direct spam message asking for my 'friendship' because of looking at my profile.  This happened about a month ago, and does raise privacy issues.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: More spam direct messages
    NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks profchiara, we're aware of the direct message and have resolved the situation. If you would like, you can restrict the direct messages you receive to only Insiders you follow or even from nobody - How can I limit the direct messages I receive?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Hi Andy,

When I follow the instructions for deleting the direct messages, I see no setting in my privacy settings that limit who I can get direct messages from.  Has this setting been renamed or something?

Greetings tryt53 - you're correct. That link has been updated to reflect that you can adjust this setting via your preferences (about half way down the page).

I see it now.  You're right, in that is is in the General Preferences Tab and not the Privacy Settings Tab now.  The problem that we seem to have is that there is no way to stop anyone who has gotten a Marriott Mership ID, from joining the MI site, and then sending out these SPAM type messages.  Not without excluding contact from valid members that may want to contact us, that we have not communicated with yet.  I haven't thought of a way to prevent this, outside of allowing no one to contact me directly, which is not my desire.  For now, I'll just keep forwarding these on to you, and hope we get those people's MI accounts disabled permanently.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

'For now, Ill just keep forwarding these on to you (Andy), and hope we get these people's MI accounts disabled permanently.'

tryt:

You are right on the mark with this commentary. In an online society, the only way to stop spammers is to get offline. In today's tech world, that's an impossibility. But, a NO NONSENSE approach to disabling these folks permanently will be the best and closest thing we can get to for ending this type of scenario. Eventually, the word will get out that this is not the place to try those shenanigans.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

...and I just noticed I received a spam message also........

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree with tef and tryt.  Even though anybody can open multiple marriott accounts by providing false information, disabling them as these spam messages occur will provide some temporary relief from this kind of annoying junk.  I just got one from "Hanna", but I'm not going to open it.    And by the way, there should be a way for me to delete any direct message sent to me.  If that's a glitch in the system, it needs to be fixed.

ProfC,

I hope they find a different way, other than limiting our direct messages to be from nobody.  That would keep new insiders that we really would like to be able to cantact us (like new active members, or someone like me) to not be able to contact people legitimately.  I'll have to noodle on this for a while to see if we can think of any better solutions to propose.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I don't want "those" direct messages but do not want to shut myself out from the rest.  The community manager seems to jump when it happens and takes care of it.

One thought, which I don't klnow if it is possible, but to allow messages from people who have actual stays at a Marriott hotel.  From what I saw in my messages, I don't think they ever stayed at one.  This would not stop them completely but would help.

I agree with californian NathalieF .  Someone who hasn't got at least one stay shouldn't get an MI account ID until they have a stay.  That would keep a whole bunch of bogus accounts from popping up on MI and help weed out a lot of these spammers.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I wonder if these spam messages are due, in part, to the facebook connection that now exists with Insiders.  I know we never had this problem before........

NathalieF

Shoeman,

You may have hit it.  I stay off Facebook for that reason.  What I don't like is in most messages they say they have looked at our profile.  I have since deleted all my info that I could.  These make this site less friendly.

Hi Shoeman,

I think you have hit the nail on the head.  Just in case anyone cares, mine was from Bebe...

ProfC

Before you remove your profile information, take a moment to check out your individual privacy settings because you can customize how much of your profile can be seen and by whom. Maybe you hide most information from non-Insiders but allow Insiders or even your connections to see other information. From your privacy settings page, you can even preview how others see your profile... How do I manage my privacy settings?

I think my direct messages have been from insiders.  Anyone can open a rewards account and then become an insider.  If one who is not an insider can send private messages, I think that should not be allowed.  Next, I don't want "just anyone" to be able to see info on me but would not have a problem with many who are active on this site.  So for the t ime being, I have no info in profile.

That's right californian, only Insiders can contribute or send direct messages... and whenever you would like, you can adjust your privacy settings so only your connections or only Insiders see certain profile fields. None of which are personally identifiable information and we strongly discourage including that type of information anywhere within the community. See that FAQ linked above or send me a direct message and I can help.

As mentioned earlier, any one can be an insider and thus by your message can send a direct message.  Is there a way to check on who are just here and who really stay at Marriotts?  Another possibility, and I hate to make it elite, but perhaps require elite status to send messages or could we only accept from them.  What we don't want is messages from undesirable people but hate to shut off our messages.

I am throwing out ideas and maybe others will have possible solutions to offer.

I too don't want to shut off my direct messages. They are rare and far between, and mostly from Andy, but still I don't want to kill all 'traffic' to me personally.  I looked at the things that seemed to be elective (though not for long, so I might be mistaken) and while my real name is not there, it looks like my real email is.  This could cause even worse problems than my real name since it would mean getting spam on Colby's firewall, which means I would miss a lot of innocuous or real messages.

I looked at your profile and your real e-mail does not show nor your real name but you do have a book that you authored which may have your real name.

Yep, I think we're saying the same thing - but how do you know they won't eventually stay at a Marriott , maybe even based upon your feedback. To be clear though, spam is not tolerated and we will continue to act swiftly where it appears.

We're glad the direct message feature is useful to so many of you and we want to maintain that resource while allowing as much personal control as possible. Since I don't know who you'd want to hear from (Elite level, geographic location, travel experience, etc), you can personally set your preference to receive direct message from only Insiders you follow and you shouldn't have the problem again (presumably you would follow Insiders you're familiar with or would like to hear from). But we'll see if there are other tweaks that can be made as well!

Hi Andy,

I don't follow ANY Insiders (sorry Insiders, this is a Facebook kind of feature I hate), so that's not an option.

They may stay at a real Marriott, and that's where I think an earlier suggestion about limiting access to MR for a bit for a new members should be an option, unless there's a way of screening them.  Do you really want Bebe and the others being active Marriott members if they really are spammers or worse?

ProfC

PS - I think the 'or worse' part of my comment should be considered in view of the spam emails -- since they could certainly suggest nefarious activities that could take place at Marriotts.

The problem is that if I only allow insiders who I follow, I am still eliminating messages that I may want to get.  Your point is well made that they might just stay at a Marriott if they get wind.  By saying only elite, somehow, I think that I would be surprised if any of them would send a spam but one never knows.  I am looking for a solution and one needs a start to begin thoughts.  Other suggestions would help.

All of seem to think that you do a good job of killing one as soon as it starts.

Thanks, Californian!  I agree that I don't want to eliminate all direct messages.  Just keep killing them, Andy!

Do you really want Bebe and the others being active Marriott members if they really are spammers or worse?

Nope - spam is not tolerated and these accounts are deactivated.

Thanks, Andy -- that gives me much hope since I don't want any Marriott communications to end up in my spam folder (which I almost never look at except to delete).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...