51 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2012 4:43 AM by eb5147 RSS

Looking for a December destination that's warm

travelmom1 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

My husband and I are looking for a December destination that's relaxing and warm.  We have two young adult daughters joining us so we're looking for a fun place, too! Last year we all went to San Juan Marriottt and really enjoyed the relaxation, food and activities.

Unfortunately, we can only go during the height of the holiday season and  the most expensive week. (find many places are stingy about letting you use points. (Ritz Carlton, Naples). Any suggestions would be appreciated.  By the way this is my first post..can't believe it as I'm a Marriott fan!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Turks and Caicos, Caribbean
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa
Palm Desert, California, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
San Diego, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA Autograph Collection The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection
Indian Wells, California, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Coronado, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa
  • Re: Looking for a December destination that's warm
    bpotter Member 13 Reviews

The Marriott Harbor Beach Fort Lauderdale

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa
    GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Not certain what your idea of warm is, as I have friends that only want to go to places like Barbados when they say warm, and Shady Lane when they say nice.

but that said, if you want something nice that is domestic,...

Why not San Diego?  Its warmer than many places in North America, and there are lots of interesting places to visit while there. My sister's kids always enjoyed our trips.  We went to Legoland, Disneyland, Knottsberry farm, whale watching, Mexico Day trips, San Diego Zoo, Wildlife Park, Art Museum, Old Town.  There is also a day ferry from San Diego to Ensenada, where you can go down for the day, or stay as long as you like, and return. They serve breakfast and lunch on the way down, and dinner on the way back.

The Marriott Coronado Island is a great choice as its a resort.  The kids loved taking the ferry to the mainland and going to the arcades and shopping near the ferry, even though you can drive across the causeway.

Below are some links to a other threads discussing San Diego properties and some of the logistics.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/10869

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/10816

Or why not Miami Beach - South Beach? The Eden Roc is a wonderful property in Miami Beach and a short walk along the beach to South Beach. Its a beautiful property with great public rooms, spa, pool and poolside restaurant, on the boardwalk and beach.  You can walk for miles along the beach, or just watch it all from the pool and poolside restaurant, depending on your tastes.  I loved watching all the families that walk the board walk to their weekly religious services, or holiday services, and then congregate along the board walk afterwards to socialize.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/10591

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/miasr-eden-roc-renaissance-miami-beach/

and if airline tickets are challenging, or you don't like crowded airports at Christmas time, how about a nice train trip to either?

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Agree with Gem Princess about San Diego.  Some other options:

Las Vegas - The Cosmopolitan (search recent threads for more info)

Palm Desert/Indian Wells, CA - either the JW Desert Springs or Renaissance Esmerelda resorts

Location Brand Hotel
    Palm Desert, California, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
    San Diego, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA Autograph Collection The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection
    Indian Wells, California, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa
    Coronado, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa

Have also heard wonderful things about Palm Desert though I have never personally been there myself.  Isn't this the place with an indoor river that has swans and boats on it?

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

The hotel has an indoor lake in the lobby with boats taking guests to dinner places.  It is really nice.  Yes.  There are swans at times but they are mostly in the outsie portion of the lake.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I'll throw out the suggestion for Aruba. We just booked a stay for Dec on a Wed to Wed and booked a suite for $225 a night at the Rennaissance. A regular room can be had for $150 a night. If you can travel mid-week, the airfares drop pretty dramatically. We booked the air for $529 round trip, and our airport never has any good deals because nobody flies out of or to here. I'll bet bigger cities midweek fares are even better. If you get closer to the weekend travel time, the fares jump up to almost $1000 round trip. So, Marriott is running some great deals and the airfares can be had for midweek flight......anyway, just a suggestion....

Happy Travels!

erc Platinum

tef

This is a great post, thanks, I'd go if I wasn't heading out west for a Scottsdale (timeshare) family holiday vacation.

Use you AAA card (I think I remember your suggestion from an earlier post) and get that Ocean Suite for $198 and eat lunch with the savings!

Keep these types of posts going, they're terrific (especially now in the days of NoGo, BoGo).

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

travelmom1,

Great post, and hope to hear more from you.  I like all of the suggestions proffered here.  If you choose So. CA. we can help drill down to some specific properties if you want.

About the desert locations though (Las Vegas), I've spent a few New Year's holidays in/near Vegas, and it gets quite chilly, especially if it's windy.  To my mind, it can get plain cold.  Since I'm a native Californian, I suppose cold may be relative.  I'm talking 45-60 in the desert in the winter.

IE, what temps have you encountered in Vegas and Palm Desert in the winter?

I don't like cold and when I have been to the Ca or Ar deserts in Dec, I find them cold.  Key West is probably a good bet for warm weather in Dec.  Hawaii too and if out the country, Australia.

Love Australia!  Perth is the sister city to San Diego and they have a lot in common.  Long flite though, especially wiht kids!

Pluto, your comments sound very ca:=)  I live in the Northeast, and when I visit my couins in CA, I always get a convertible and put the top down, cause 60 is spring-summer in the northeast.  My cousins and their friends always laugh and say they can tell I am not from CA.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

pluto, you're correct, Vegas can get cold in the winter.  We've even encountered snow there once!  Palm Desert is warmer, and temp averages are mid-60s in December, with no rain.  But, we do love the JW Desert Springs.  Great pool scene, good restaurants, plus it's a tennis resort with even a grass court.    

travelmom1 Platinum

Thank you all for your great suggestions!  We were hoping to go south or to an island.  The daughters are adults so Lego Land is probably out but you never know! They are flying from NYC so want a place that does not take them all day as they only have short holiday vacation from work.  We fly from the south so not as difficult for my husband and me. 

By the way, we love California but do agree on the weather. This trip is for laying in the sun and relaxing a bit mixed in with some fun activities.

Enjoying the posts,

Travelmom1

If your daughters are adults, perhaps they would prefer star gazing?

So. CA - South Beach FL - St Kitss & Nevis?

The see and be seen places - with great beaches & clubs

Santa Monica is not as warm as San Diego, but its a favorite with young adults.

I really love Le Merigot which is on the ocean, right at the Santa Monica Pier.  That have a wonderful spa, outdoor restaurant overlooking the beach, and you can walk forever on the beach, or go out the front door and you are right downtown Santa Monica, with lots of other hotels, restaurants, shops and clubs.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/laxlm-jw-marriott-santa-monica-le-merigot/

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

What about the Carribbean?  Are hurricanes dominant during this time?

Hurricane season ends in November.

I did spend one holiday season in the Cayman Islands, but I remember how expensive the plane tickets were, and how difficult it was to fly then.  Domestic is bad enough, but at least there are more flites to choose from [and rebook due to weather].

I also like that domestically I can take the train as well to FL or CA.

One year I did the train from PHL to Charleston, stayed in the Marriott there which was really nice, before and after a cruise, and we did a 2 week Caribbean cruise which was really nice.

I think that hurricane season ends about mid Nov.

The peak of hurricane season in the Caribbean is from mid-August to the end of September with Sept 1 thru 15 the worst time. In October the season really winds down and something after mid-Oct is a rarity, but they do happen (Hurricane Lenny in 1999 was a November storm that actually went backwards). Atlantic storms usually come off Africa and track east to west. Lenny started in the Caribbean basin over by the Caymans and went west to east.

erc Platinum

Rumblin', bumblin', stumblin, thru the site, I just now discovered you were named player of the month. Posts like this one above and the numerous other info filled insights demonstrate what a worthy recipient you are. Congratulations and thank you for your effort, it's appreciated.

erc:

Thanks for the kind words! I think we all enjoy contributing in whatever way we can to make travel experiences better for all!

Hurricane season is not suppose to start till June

but this year it was end of May

Yes, a rare bird indeed is a tropical cyclone in May! But, I guess that tells us that the best we can figure when it comes to the weather is to expect the unexpected!

Having grown up in the Northeast, I never gave much thought to hurricanes since they are, for the most part, big wet rain events up there. But, after Hurricane Luis in 1995 left nothing but four walls and plywood attached to the beams on our roof at our home in St Maarten, I have great respect for the sheer power and force these storms can bring to bear. We re-built it like Fort Knox.....concrete and more concrete.

My ears always perk up when I hear a tropical disturbance has formed. I learned my lesson about not being prepared !

travelmavenflorida Silver 5 Reviews

Florida has other great locations for winter travel.  You may want to try the Ritz Carlton in Naples, FL, a really beautiful property in a lovely, relaxing city.  Also, the Eden Roc in Miami Beach would be loads of fun in winter.  Just stayed there this past week and it was great even in the July heat.  You probably would not be able to swim in the ocean in December of January, but it would be great for sightseeing, going to great restaurants and shopping.  And the Miami area is really beautiful, lovely gardens and homes to tour in addition to the nightlife. 

ohmark Platinum

To me, one of the best Marriott resorts in north america is the Renaissance Vinoy in St. Petersburg FL.  Wonderful contemporary renovation of a historical property on Tampa Bay in wonderful downtown St. Petersburg.  The Vinoy has tennis courts, golf course, large pool, and spa.  Wonderful rooms, many with gorgeous views.  There is a smaller white sand beach about a 20 minute walk, and world-famous beaches about a 20 minute drive.  The Vinoy has four very nice restaurants on property, from casual to formal, and between; and this is not including the numerous restaurants around downtown St. Pete.  And downtown St. Pete, with parks all along the water downtown, with art and other museums, including the stunning new Dali museum, and with theater productions and concerts, has become an attraction in itself.  And, of course, there is the iconic St. Petersburg Pier.

platinum4ever Platinum 1 Reviews

Travelmom1,

We loved Barbados when we went ~15 years ago.  However, the Marriott there has closed (and possibly reopened under another management company) and only a Courtyard operates there now.  Sandy Lane is the top dog there.

Another spot I hear good things about is Curacao.  You're in luck as there are two properties there: a Marriott and a Renaissance Hotel.  I have a friend who goes there for scuba diving and the casinos and loves it.  And you can't get much further south, outherwise you'd run aground in South America.  In checking out the pictures, I may have to visit there myself someday!

Good luck in wherever you choose!  Please post back and let us know how your trip went!

Curacao is one of my favorite islands.  Have been there several times as a cruise stop, and have always wanted to go back for a longer time.  many of the other islands I am glad to leave at the end of the day, but never Curacao, St. Kitts or St. Maarten

klaus29 Silver

In palm Palm Springs, you  have  very  nice  Appartements.  This will  be  good  for  all the Family. .

curiousone Platinum

Be sure to look at the JW Desert Ridge in Phoenix. The JW Desert Springs is good, but kind of remote. JW Desert Ridge has more local amenities available.

Another place I completely forgot about cause I haven't been there in years, but have always loved, and so did my sister and her kids is the Ritz at Dana Point

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/LagunaNiguel/Default.htm?mtid=marriott&locale=en_US&rn=042048116

We started going there based on recommendations from several travel magazines to have tea and for sunday brunch, but liked it so much we went back for vacation one year.

There is also a wonderful spa, and your halfway between San Diego and LA so you can also get in alot of sightsseing as well.

Another place I like is Laguna.  Have meet friends and family for years at Las Brisas for lunch, brunch, dinner, etc, and enjoyed walking around Laguna

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/snadp-laguna-cliffs-marriott-resort-and-spa/

There is also a very nice Marriott near there as well.

Both are nice.  The Laguna Cliffs is in Dana Point.  I will try to post a picture of the beach below the Ritz

But as I remember it, they are down the road a bit from each other.

They are.  Actually the Ritz was in Laguna Niguel and when Dana Point became a city they were given the Ritz.  The Ritz had fought against it but lost.  The Ritz still uses Laguna Niguel on it's letter heads.

I could have a good vacation just going back and forth between these two hotels.  It would be tough, making up my mind on meals given they are all so close to Las Brisas

curiousone Platinum

Yes, the Lagua Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa (Dana Point) is a gem.

mgoes2 Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Hi Travelmom 1!

I live in Boca Raton and do a lot of traveling around the state and one night get-aways nearby.  There are some great suggestions above.  CA is great, but if you're from the East or Midwest, it will be expensive to get there.  FL is quite affordable, but you have to keep checking the deals.  I'll often make a reservation, but keep checking from time to time to see if I can get a better rate at either the same property or another one in the area.  I also always compare the AAA rates...sometimes they are substantially lower than the other rates offered elites.  You won't have to worry about hurricanes in December.  Actually, I think the best time to travel to S FL is late Oct - Dec.  The weather is usually perfect, not too many snowbirds or tourists yet and the rates are good.

My personal favorites in the are:

-Eden Roc, Miami Beach

-Hotel Beaux Arts or the JW Miami (both hotels are in the same building...the Beaux Arts is a Marriott boutique style hotel located in the top floors of the JW, Miami downtown

-Ritz Carlton Golf Resort, Naples (or the Ritz Carlton Beach resort in Naples...super expensive, but cool if your rolling in points!  The advantage of the Ritz golf resort is that it is very affordable and they have a regular shuttle going all day to the beach resort...so you get all the perks of the beach resort without the price tag!)

-Renaissance Tampa Tampa International Plaza, Tampa (not on the beach, but it's next to a really great upscale mall with lots to do...I've just always had great service here and enjoyed the stay)

I have not personally stayed there, but I have used the spa at the Delray Beach Marriott and it was great!  In fact, that may be a great choice for you.  It's across the street from the beach, is a beautiful property, has a great spa (they give you this crazy amazing hot chocolate that you have with fresh fruit after your treatment).  Not only is the hotel at the beach, it's also located on one of the most fun and cool streets in S FL, Atlantic Avenue.  It's one of those areas they did a great job of renovating, full of restaurants and shops....music at night, art galleries, clubs, etc.

If you end up in S FL, let me know and I'll be happy to make other recommendations for your trip.

Eden Roc is also one of my favorites, while it has a Miami address its a short walk down the beach to South Beach, is a great property with a great spa

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Boca Raton: Stay 2 nights + get 5,000 points

Spend two nights in sunny south Florida and earn a bonus at the SpringHill Suites Boca Raton.

Valid through December 15, 2012

Bo
      Spend two nights in sunny south Florida and earn a bonus at the SpringHill Suites Boca Raton.

From October 1 - December 15, 2012, stay two nights and receive 5,000 Marriott Rewards bonus points per stay.

We're located in Boca Raton, only minutes from the beach, shops and restaurants. You can let loose and unwind here in a comfortable suite room with the customer service you deserve.

Our hotel in south Florida is one you don't want to miss.

For Reservations:
        Click on "Check Availability" to make an online reservation, or call 1-800-433-3942 from within the US, or one of our toll-free worldwide reservation numbers outside the US and quote the Promotional Code for this offer.

• Valid through:   December 15, 2012
      • Promotional Code:   M11

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

We've been to the Keys at Christmas and are going after Thanksgiving this year.

Here's a link to activities there.

Florida Keys & Key West events from the Official Florida Keys Tourism Council

There's a "Christmas in the Keys" celebration from Nov 30 to Dec 2 in the Duck Key that includes a lighted boat parade and Christmas themed events.

Texas -- I would say anything south of Austin, TX would probably be warm.  Have you ever been to San Antonio, TX?  I bet the River Walk is really lit at Christmas and there's always plenty to do there.

TravelTex: Home

For a FREE packet containing the Texas State Travel Guide, Texas Accommodations Guide, and Texas Official Travel Map, fill out the quick and easy order form below. For travel assistance, call 800-452-9292.

Texas Vacations and Tourism: 2,786 Things to Do in Texas | TripAdvisor

South Carolina -- Charleston, SC or nearby Hilton Head, Island

Myrtle Beach, SC always has lots of Christmas shows but also probably crowded.

dbrown1265 Gold

If you are looking for warmth AND relaxation, try St Maarten.  We go with family about every other year, and love it.  Nice beach and sand, and we are away from the hustle and bustle.  However, if you are looking for night life, stay near the airport and enjoy the bars and restaurants.  It's the bext of both worlds, and we find airfare from $500-600 RT from Chicago.

We have also been to Marbella Spain, and although we didn't get to stay there, they have a newer Marriott there that looks awesome.  The other advantage was cheaper restaurants there, if you don't cook in your room.

platinum4ever Platinum 1 Reviews

Did you check out both of the Ritz Carlton Resorts in Naples?  There are two here: one on the beach and one on the Golf Course (about 4 miles inland).  The best thing about them is that a shuttle between the two properties is provided complimentary.  The reason I know this?  Because I am staying at the Golf Resort this week!  My wife and I have been visiting the hotel each fall for the last five years.  We love it after Labor Day and before Christmas - usually no children and not many total.    I know it was at least 82 degrees today at the beach if not higher.  And the Ritz Carlton Golf Resort's awesome restaurant Lemonia has the best breakfast buffet and staff in SW Florida!!!  Say Hello to Shannon for me!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...