23 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2012 7:10 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Miami Marriott South Beach

worldtraveller Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone stayed in the Marriott South Beach ? When looking at the google earth map it doesn't look

like a neighborhood I would like to stay ? or am I wrong there ?

Used to stay at the Victors (when it belonged to Hyatt) and like that part of Oceandrive.

So what to expect from the Marriott South Beach location ?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Miami Beach, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Marriott Stanton South Beach
  • Re: Miami Marriott South Beach
    jcampbell Platinum 35 Reviews

I have stayed there many time.  Neighborhood is safe and it is a nice hotel.  The lounge is small but very well attended to.  There are several great restaurants nearby and everything is walkable or taxi close.  Beach is very nice right there at the property.  I have taken my family with me and would not hesitate to do so again.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thank you so much still wondering what to do.

Anyone been to the Winterhaven Autograph collection ? would that be an alternative ?

Or the Ritz Carlton ??

Anyone any ideas/reviews/helpful hints about those properties ?

Message was edited by: worldtraveller

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews

The South Beach Marriott is, for me, in a great location. It is in a very quiet and safe area which I like, yet it is a just a few minutes walk to enjoy the hustle and bustle of the local oceanside restaurants, bars and clubs. Its almost at the far end of Ocean Drive and is situated right on the beach. The concierge lounge is very small but good and they have a nice outdoor terrace. For me, the one downside is if the hotel is very busy then you can sometimes find it difficult to get a place round the pool (there are 2 situated next to each other, but these are TINY). Nice outdoor deck serving food and drink. The lobby is very modern, infact so is the whole place. The staff have always been very nice to me there and I've always had a decent room. Try asking for a room overlooking the park next door as on the other side of the hotel you could end up with a balcony facing a block of apartments which are very close to the property. I'd happily stay here many times over.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

You may wish to check out the thread below that also has an interesting dialogue on South Beach properites

For me, I enjoy Eden Roc.  Its not right on South Beach, but a short walk along the beach to reach it.  Its a lovely property, with great public areas, spa, pool and poolside restaurant.  Its on the boardwalk and beach and a fascinating place for people watching.  The rooms are great, and they have generally upgraded me into an even better room.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/10591

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/miasr-eden-roc-renaissance-miami-beach/

Thanks for the help. When you say a short walk ...how far/long to walk to Ocean Drive and can you do it

at night ?

I was walking along the beach, not on the road.  It didn't feel far, but then it was light out and warm, and I was not in a hurry.

When I query the Marriott Directory using 'South Beach" this is what I get

-South Beach Marriott                             0.1m

-Courtyard Mimami Beach South Beach   1.2m

-Ritz-Carlton South Beach                       1.4m

-Courtyard Mimi Beach Oceanfront           2.9m

-Eden Roc Renaissance Miami Beach      3.3m

I think alot of this depends on where in South Beach you are headed.  It looks like it is around 1.5-3 miles.

I walk a mile in about 10 minutes

About EdenRoc: what type of room is best ? Legendary Tower or Oceantower ?

still not sure where to stay .... thanks for all your help

I don't remember what they called it, as I was upgraded at checkin, but it was a lovely ocean view suite with a terrace.  Is there a description of the Legendary Tower or Oceantower? Or has anyone explained it to you.  I might be able to figure it out with more info.

That is the description I received: The Legendary Tower consists of Bayview/Intracoastal views, Partial Views, Ocean Views, and Ocean View Suites. While the Ocean Tower consists of Ocean view rooms and suites The
          difference is the Ocean Tower rooms are a bit more modern in style while the
          Resort tower rooms are more original in style.

Don't know if I will get any upgrade as I am only Gold ....also I saw they don't have a lounge ? and do not provide

for breakfast for Gold members then, correct ?

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

The Tower is brand spanking new and opened in 2009.

Per the Rewards rules, the property is defined as a resort so they don't have a lounge and aren't required to offer breakfast.

I was definately in the Ocean Tower than as I had a room with a view of the Ocean and it was more modern in style.

Absolutely loved it and have always meant to go back, but have not been in Miami since on land, only as a cruise port stop a year ago

I concur with what everyone has said about the South Beach Marriott. I've stayed there several times over the years (and I live outside of Ft Lauderdale) and always enjoyed my stay there. The walk to the center of the SOBE action can be a bit much during the summer heat. The hotel is on Ocean Drive at 3rd Street and the action goes from 5th through 16th. So the walk all the way to 16th street can be much but taxis are plentiful.

The lounge is very nice and the last time I stayed there it was open on the weekends. The hotel is on a wide expanse of beach and close to the estuary where cruise ships pass through from the port. Best of all, the hotel is within walking distance of Joe Stone Crab. That would be a reason for staying all by its own.

My second choice, which was also mentioned, is the Eden Roc. I stayed there in June and loved it.

am curious as to why you prefer South Beach Marriott over Eden Roc.

I have only stayed at Eden Roc, but if you prefer South Beach Marriott I might want to try it, if I better understand the similiarities and differences.

The Eden Roc is way uptown and the Marriott is pretty much in the heart of things. That's really the only reason because the rooms at the Eden are larger and more desirable in my opinion.

what about the public rooms, the pool, spa, beachfront, etc

are they comparable?

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews

The South beach Marriott has a really tiny gym, 1 mixed sauna and a treatment room, there is no spa as such. The pools (2 of them) are next to each other and are really really small, but the hotel is right on the beach. I love the hotel but when its busy it can be crowded round the pool and exec lounge. The lobby and public areas are very nice, modern and trendy. I have not been to the Eden Roc to compare it with.

Platinumstar said it best.

The Eden Roc has a very nice, large pool area that you would expect from a resort hotel and is directly next door to the Fountainbleu.

Thanx mikieglfa & platinumstar for the insight into the 2 properties.

I guess if you want to be out and about in South Beach then the South Beach Marriott is the best bet.  If you want to enjoy the pool, beach and spa facilities, and have the occassional South Beach outing, then Eden Roc is the best bet.

Well said.

What about the RitzCarlton ? anyone been there ? used reward points ?

How do they handle cash upgrades and late checkouts (4pm due to international flights)

Have not been to the Ritz in Miami.  Only Ritz stays I have had are Dana Point, Bucks Head, Boston and they were all very nice, and all before Marriott owned them.  What I liked best was the concierge floor that had an open bottle of champaign at all times, and foie gras as well.  I could just move into the CL and live there.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...