16 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2012 8:22 PM by razorbackfan RSS

Are you watching the Olympics?

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Are you watching the Olympics on television or are you lucky enough to be there in person?  What events do you like to watch?  Do you know anyone participating in the Olympics?  Do you have any Olympics memories you would like to share with other Insiders? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
  • Re: Are you watching the Olympics?

I am enjoying watching the Olympics.  I particularly enjoy the cycling, track, and swimming.  I will briefly watch sports I don't know much about, but find myself looking for more familiar sports.  I really admire all the athletes who have put in countless hours of training.

We were able to attend the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta and had a great time.  We attended all cycling events, basketball, track and field, and baseball.  We had tickets for the gold medal baseball game and were so disappointed that the American team did not make it to the final game.  Carl Lewis and Michael Johnson were two of the track stars we got to see.  But the most memorable experience was my husband being one of the cyclists chosen to carry the Olympic torch through south Louisiana!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

How were the crowds and lines and the transportation during your Olympic experience?  Was it easy to get around?  Did you have to wait hours to get in or get seated?  How easy was it to procure lodging (and how far in advance)?  Did the hotels inflate the room prices?

I don't remember the crowds being really bad except when the baseball stadium and track/field stadium events ended at about the same time.  Then the crowd leaving the stadiums all tried to get on MARTA.  We used MARTA for almost all our events and according to a sticker they gave us, we made 17 million new friends.  I don't even remember traffic on the Interstates to have been particularly bad because they had warned local residents how bad it would be and most residents chose not to drive.  We stayed in Buckhead quite near one of the MARTA stations and were able to get to all of our events except the Velodrome Cycling events which were held at Stone Mountain by using MARTA.  We rented a house which belonged to a friend of my brother's, so I did not even check hotel rates.  I imagine they were higher than normal.  We did have to go through security; however, I don't remember having to wait a long time to enter any venue.  It was an experience that we will always remember.  I made a scrapbook with our pictures and other memorabilia which I've just looked at for the first time in several years-probably since the last Olympics.  I get goose bumps every time I look at it. We weren't using digital photography then or I would share lots of pictures.  I hope we have the opportunity to attend the Games sometime in the future.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

We've been watching them (delayed) on the television every night.  We try not to look at the headlines because that spoils the suspense, but it's almost impossible to not see results of highly anticipated events, because the results seem to show up everywhere!

tryt, you are right about seeing the results everywhere.  I wish I could turn off the ticker on the ESPN channels.  Sometimes if I know the outcome, I can enjoy watching the event even more.

erc Platinum

Team USA, after dropping a tough one to #3 ranked Germany, just beat #2 ranked Argentina 1-0 in women's field hockey in pool play. Good chance of advancing to semis.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

i like to watch everything.  I like the tag-team swimming the most!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Love to watch swimming, diving, water polo, gymnastics, Misty/Carri beach volleyball, rowing and kayaking.  Am looking forward to the track & field events also.  Normally basketball isn't my thing, but have enjoyed watching the girls.  What amazing hoopsters.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

These kids are so talented nowadays. Must be the year-round drills.

fizzbang Platinum 2 Reviews

We are so lucky to live in the UK and experience the Olympics. The whole country is glued to the television. There is such a great atmosphere throughout the UK that it's infectious even if the city you live in is not participating in hosting any sport. I am lucky to be going to watch the hockey on Sunday and Monday and can't wait to experience the Olympic Village. We have managed to use our Marriott rewards to check into a great hotel too. We are so proud to be British and welcome all the athletes from around the world to our small country. Hope you keep watching on TV. Enjoy and keep collecting those medals.

Hi, fizz.  I hope you have a wonderful time.  I know you will enjoy your stay at a great Marriott.  I think our TV coverage has been wonderful.  I love seeing all the sights in and near London.  Please tell us more about your experience.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I did see the women's cycling event on TV.

It looks like that it was possible to find places along the route to watch without buying a ticket?

Was it possible to get there, or did they have all access blocked off to the route?

You can usually watch the road race and the time trial along the route without a ticket.  I don't know what it is like in London.

kndelta Member 7 Reviews

I am watching as much as I can - and loving it.  The only negative so far, is Ryan Seacrest and his social media updates.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I have been watching the swimming and the gymnastics and really enjoying.

Someday I would love to go in person, but everytime I see the prices I decide to just watch it on TV.

Am enjoying On Demand.  If I miss the event or parts of it, I can watch from start to finish when its convenient.

Luckily have been missing the news too, so I really don't know how it will turn out till I watch it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...