4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2012 3:12 PM by pluto77 RSS

Transportation from port to Boscolo Venezia in Venice?

bonswkr Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hello!  The information I have been reading on this site has been extremely helpful in planning our upcoming trip to Europe - thanks!  This is my first time to ask a question:-).  We're sailing into Venice in 5 weeks on the Royal Clipper and wondering what is the best way to get 2 of us and our luggage from the port to the Boscolo Venezia Marriottt?  Details are appreciated since this is our 1st trip to Italy.

Bonswkr

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Venice, Italy
Venice, Italy Autograph Collection Protea Hotel Knysna Quays
  • Re: Transportation from port to Boscolo Venezia in Venice?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi bonswkr,

I've never sailed into Venice, but I'm going to refer you to a couple of websites which I think will be helpful.

The first website: Arriving in Venice by ship (cruise or ferry), shows you about where the port is.  When you go to the website, you can click on the map and it will enlarge.  On the map, you will see the acronym ACTV with a small black image of a boat right next to the port.  The ACTV is the Vaporetto System in Venice that gets you around (via the canals) in Venice.  From the map, it shows that there is an ACTV (Vaporetto) stop right there at the dock.  I don't know if there is a ticket booth at that stop, but you can purchase your ticket from the Vaporetto driver (cheap, less than 2€).

The second website is the actual site for the ACTV transportation.  On this site, you can learn about how much the Vaporetto costs as well as purchasing passes vs. one time tickets.  The Vaporetto will likely be your main transportation while on the island.  Moving in Venice | www.actv.it  also, http://www.actv.it/pdf/navigazione/Mappa_linee_2nov.pdf.  What you will probably do is take the purple (magenta) line 4.1 or 4.2 around to the Madonna dell Orto station.  As you approach the Madonna dell Orto station, you will see the Boscolo awning and dock about 30-50 feet to the right of the vaporetto dock.  That is the hotel's dock, so that gives you an idea of the direction you want to head towards on foot once you disembark your vaporetto.  Just head straight back in the opposite direction of the vaporetto stop, always turning right when possible.  In no time (it is a very short walk, and completely flat - no stairs or canal bridges) you will come to a canal and the Madonna dell Orto church.  Turn right and walk along the canal.  The Boscolo is right there.  It's a short, easy and intuitive walk to the Boscolo from the vaporetto stop.  I didn't know how to get to the Boscolo from the vaporetto dock, but I winged it and it took less than 5 minutes, like I said, head away from the vaporetto and keep to the right.

If I can find some more specific info for you, I'll post it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi bonswkr,

Here's some more info for you:

Venice

Busses - From the airport, City Bus number 5 takes you to Venice, number 15 to Mestre. An inexpensive option, but you probably don't want to use it when you have a lot of luggage. Like most local buses in Italy, buy a ticket at a tabacchi (tobacco store) or newsstand. There is one at the airport.

For Vaporetto information - www.actv.it |

Actv - impresa e territorio, il valore dei fatti

For the Alilaguna boats to/from Marco Polo Airport and Venice - www.alilaguna.it/?lang=en

Tips for taking a gondola ride - Venice Gondola Rides - What to Know about Gondolas in Venice Italy

The above information can be found on the following discussion here on Insiders:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/10314

Here's a photo of what it looks like approaching the Madonna dell Orto stop, with the Boscolo awning to the right of the stop.

It shows the water stop with the Madonna dell Orto church to the right.  The Boscolo awning is actually farther that 50 ft. to the right of the water stop, not shown in the photo below:

DSC02786.JPG

The photo below is the Boscolo dock, which is to the right of the church.  So you want to head back towards the front of the church (on a canal), and the Boscolo entrance is just past it.  It's easier than it looks!

DSC02791.JPG

bonswkr Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Pluto77 -

Oh my gosh, THANK YOU!!!  This is extremely helpful and now I feel very prepared.  I so appreciate the time and energy you (and others I have seen in discussions) take to help each other out.  I only hope I can return the favor soon :-)

Bonswkr

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...