45 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2013 11:05 AM by sawmkw RSS

Platinum Late Check Out Benefit - Any recent experiences???

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just asked for a late check-out today, and all they would give me was an extra hour???

Normal check-out was 11am, and the latest they would give me was noon?

Asked them if they were sure if that was all they could spare for a platinum member and they said yes!

Even in NYC on a busy day, I can usually get a 1 or 2pm checkout.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Late Check Out Benefit - Any recent experiences???
    schlechtman Platinum

Whats the hotel location and brand?

I have had an experience at a residence inn in orlando.  I asked for a late check out after getting breakfast and was told there were no late check outs available. This was told to me as if it was a normal at this location.  It took getting the manager and pointing out that i'm platinum premier before they would give me till 1pm.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I can't remember the last time I wasn't (cheerfully) offered/guaranteed as late as 2:00 p.m. upon request.  

fhllast4ever Platinum

Today at Renaissance Seaworld Orlando, I asked for one hour extension -- I was denied.

This is unusual as I always get either 1pm or 2pm extension at this hotel.

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

I generally have had no problem getting a late checkout.   The only time I remember was at a beach resort where there were a lot of people waiting to check in.    I think they say they will give it to you "if available", giving them an out.      Also, there is NO late checkout for any reason at the MVCs!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I'd add my two cents as well. Most of the time at Marriotts if you check with them in advance (usually next to last day to last day) they'll try to accommodate you.  I was blown away when the Myconian Resort and Spa on Mykonos allowed me to stay in my room AT NO EXTRA COST till I had to leave for my flight at 6pm (free transfer).

I think if Marriott is to remain competitive in this highly competitive industry, it needs above all to be flexible, and give its best benefits to its most frequent members.  I am not necessarily speaking about me because so many of you spend far more time at Marriotts than I do. (I guess my only personal excuse for claiming such rights is that it costs a whole lot more where I stay.  Still I simply cannot imagine my two favorite Marriotts -- Athens Ledra and Ghent Marriott -- ever denying a Platinum or above member extra time unless they were simply sold out.)

The Waikiki Marriott, my most recent and shall we say interesting experience, offers a compromise -- which reminds me of added airline fees, which is why I am always determined to keep my status with Delta.  For $99 extra (only slightly less than what I paid on an early booking AAA stay) you can stay till 6pm if rooms are available.  Sorry, I don't buy that one.  I can sit in the Delta lounge, web surf, drink and eat and not pay extra.  And I use the Myconian as my gold standard.  They asked NOTHING, and they transported me to the airport for free both ways and gave me so many extras.  I just don't get it.  Why can't the US hospitality industry observe the same standards even in its own brand as it usually does abroad? To me, if the abroad stuff stops working, I stop staying, and I book like I did at the Myconian (there was no Marriott, but nothing could have come close to my stay and the price).

Anyway, I'm in a gruesome mood considering my condition but my points are utterly valid from MPOV.  It is an ever more competitive industry and Marriott needs to keep up.  I know I keep considering Hawaii abroad, which I should not (sorry all Hawaii residents, it just seemed that way), but after my two breakfasts were used up I didn't eat breakfast at all the first weekend day, just lunch.  (BTW, I will write more but the Waikiki Marriott has spectacular restaurants, possibly its BEST selling point.)  Then I still had a leftover ticket for 25$ off either the Kuhia (forgive me if I get their names wrong but I am very tired and very sore and don't want to dig out receipts) or the poolside lounge as long as it was not buffet or happy hour.  The breakfast place is mostly buffet but I saw a real menu yesterday before I checked out and today ordered eggs benedict and minimalist extras and got my 25% discount even after I checked out (I asked the desk at the restaurant before proceeding, but I was waiting for a taxi to the airport). All was fine.  So there are discounts to be had, but I still am beginning to wonder how much our loyalty is worth.

If I book on expedia, like I did last year at the Metropole in Venice, I got all kinds of extras, including breakfast and internet included, a large room, etc.  So if Marriott starts cutting back on some of these benefits (concierge lounge nonexistent -- all the Hawaii Waikiki had was a place to print boarding passes), why stay? Especially when I tried to use my yearly MR Chase Premier 5 card in Portland, ME, and no hotels were available for the night before travel.  Something is wrong with this picture.

It's why I always subscribe to Randy Petersen's InsideFlyer Magazine. It's not just airlines, but hotels, with all offerings updated - but also all complaints and serious looks at programs.

I said it before and will say it again, Marriott is being pennywise and pound foolish. Arkwright can probably tell us whether that applies in Britain but I certain feel it applies in the US.

ProfChiara

(Bruised but not defeated, just seriously in need of sleep)

Thanx ProfC for sharing your experiences.

I must admit that I was very puzzled when I walked out to the parking lot and found it entirely empty except for my car.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Hi Prof,

Just to add my 2 cents in... Yes residents do tend to get offended if you say Hawaii is "foreign" or not part of the US, etc.  Well, the Hawaiian Sovereignty movement would agree with that! 

Anyway, I tend to look at that sentiment differently.  Even abroad a lot of people don't consider Hawaii part of the US, and that's fine with me.  It actually serves me better, as it helps to minimize the amount of anti-US sentiment I experience when abroad by simply saying I'm from Hawaii. 

As for Marriotts in Hawaii, nearly all are resort locations and thus excluded from normal elite benefits anyhow.  I did get a nice upgrade last time I stayed at the Waikiki Beach Marriott (just last year too in fact), but had to pay if I wanted late checkout.  I've never tried the hotel owned restaurants (so you'll have to share your experiences with me!) but I do LOVE Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi near the pool.  I know it's sister restaurant DK Steakhouse is supposed to be one of the best steakhouses in the state, but have yet to try there too...  Arancino Di Mare, though, on the first floor is also a personal favorite and a pretty good value! 

But I do agree... Marriott needs to step it up!  They are lagging behind the competition domestically and internationally.  Thinking of staying at the CY Waikiki for example?? DON'T!  Stay at the Hyatt Place Waikiki instead!  SImilar price point, but Hyatt is NICER and gives you FREE breakfast! 

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

"Anyway, I tend to look at that sentiment differently.  Even abroad a lot of people don't consider Hawaii part of the US, and that's fine with me.  It actually serves me better, as it helps to minimize the amount of anti-US sentiment I experience when abroad by simply saying I'm from Hawaii."

That's a very interesting perspective.

It all balances out I suppose...I go out of my way to show my American pride, regardless of the sentiment, so we cancel out each others vote.  Two wars before age 40 will do that to you.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

When I need a late checkout, I usually don't ask what time.  I say, I need to check out at 3 pm, is that a problem?  They never say no---perhaps it's because I am Platinum!

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

The majority of my experiences is that they will give you 1 extra hour.  The exception being the Cosmoplitan in Veags, where they will give you until 2pm.  I only recall 1 time where I was denied altogether.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I have checked out onmany occasions more than an hour late.  Each location handles it based on hwat's happenning at the time you call.

theseeker888 Platinum

I have no issues with checkout either on many different locations but mind you I have not try out the location you have indicated.  The latest I got is 4pm on a few of the locations that I stayed in. But each time I just call them and tell them what I time I wanted to checkout and if there is a problem with the time requested they will say so and provide a different time.  Always request an hour more then what you required that way if they say no and change change it most likely you will get the checkout time you required.

erc Platinum

With the exception of the timeshare folks, and we all know, "they don't play that game", I've been pretty fortunate about receiving later check outs. Similar to lonestar's approach, I usually just say something up front like, "I need a 2:30 check out time, does that fit into the system ok" (and I also throw in my very best look, which says "you don't really want this mug hanging out in your lobby, do you?!".

Please post any additional comments on Late Check Out to the following thread, "Which marriott Brand & Loaction Did Not Honor an Anticipated marriott Reward Benefit for You?"

or click on the following link

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/10935

gdmig71 Platinum 17 Reviews

I don't normally post but I thought that my most recent experience with a Courtyard in San Diego Mission Valley is worth complaining about.

As a platinum premier member, I cant ever recall a hotel that had turned down my request for late checkout.  I dont ask for late checkouts a lot. Only when I really need to and mostly when on family vacation.

Their regular checkout is at 12:00 noon and I asked for a 2:30PM checkout which I thought was not much.  I have asked for a later checkout at Courtyards and Marriotts before up to 4PM and was accomodated without any problems.

Back to this San Diego Courtyard - I asked initially via Front desk twice and was only given up to 2PM.  She said that is all they can do even for a PPremier. And so I decided to just change my work schedule and checkout at 12:00 so I can talk to a Manager on duty.

The manager on duty told me the same thing(2 PM even for a PP).  She had excuses about not having any housekeeping after 3PM and they have high capacity so they need to flip the rooms early.  I don't know if that is true or not.  But the whole situation felt like this "WE DONT CARE IF YOU ARE PLATINUM".  I probably wont be on this post if they had handled it differently.

If they had said "we are sorry but we are fully booked today and cannot give a late checkout" I am probably more accepting.  Strange how one situation like this would translate into losing a PP.  There are lots of hotel in San Diego - lot of choices thankfully.

PPremier

CY San Diego Mission Valley must have attended the same convention as the SHS Princeton.....they regularly turn down ALL platinum requests for late check out, even when their parking lot is empty!

gdmig71 Platinum 17 Reviews

I hear ya....that was exactly one of my comments.  I understand the business side that when their at full capacity that they need to flip rooms immediately but the parking lot was not even half full.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Starwood gives a 4pm checkout for gold.  I had a similar situation at a CY and 2pm was a drop dead time.  They pointed out that I only got that because I was platinum.  If I were gold the time would be 1pm.

sawmkw Gold 37 Reviews

Well I certainly wished that I had read this post prior to making my reservation at the Mission Valley CA Courtyard.  My plans changed, as they frequently do, and I needed to leave mid-afternoon a day earlier than I had planned.  This property told me that I would be charged for that nights stay and that they did not participate in the Marriott Rewards early arrival or late departure.  I have never had an issue with any other Marriott property and in the case, the individual I spoke with was also incredibly rude.  So there is really no value to being a Rewards member and staying at this Marriott property; I certainly never will.

Seems to be a property by property decisiion.

Most of the properties I have dealt with prefer a 1-2 pm checkout, but have extended me to 4pm.  Any later than that and I pay the day rate (1/2 nightly rate).

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

For what it's worth, I was granted a 2 pm checkout a couple of days ago at the SHS Annapolis (normal check out time is noon).

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I also just received an extension to 3 pm the other day at a f/s Marriott. 

FS properties tend to live up to my expectations of Marriotts based on 30 years of staying at Marriotts....the accomodations, the perks, the service!  Maybe that is why I like staying at FS Marriott's so much....its like a time capsule.  I see the painting of J. Willard and Bill hanging on the wall, I can still have my Fast Fare for breakfast, and a Turkey Club anytime of the day, and I know exactly what I will get.  Its a deja vu experience to a pleasant earlier time in my life!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...