This discussion is locked
28 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2012 3:42 PM by NathalieF Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Marriott must think we're stoo-pid - new cash+points system for reservations

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Marriott must think we're stoo-pid.  Marriott Concierge just announced on Flyertalk the new Cash+Points system for reservations.

At first I was excited, thinking they were finally going to follow Starwood which for years has allowed you to make a reservation for a night (or nights) with a combo of points & cash for the night(s) reservation: ie, 4000 points +$40cash to reserve a room (no idea if the #s are right; it's just an example). 

But no-o-o-o...that's not what Marriott means.

The new Marriott cash+points for reservations allows you to reserve a room for points (which you can already do) & reserve a room w/ cash (which you can already do) & in order to use the new system it has to be a 2-day stay.  They're touting you'll get nights/point credit for the night you pay w/ cash.  Well duh - that's how it currently works.

We can already do what Marriott is touting as the new cool way to reserve a room - do they think we're stoo-pid?  Good grief! 

Discussion on FT here:

Coming Soon: Marriott Reservations with Cash + Points - FlyerTalk Forums

BTW - no one is blaming Marriott Concierge; they realize he's just the messenger. 

Cheers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott must think we're stoo-pid - new cash+points system for reservations
    sweet1231 Gold 4 Reviews

Hold on - you're saying that, as of today - if I want to make a cash reservation followed up by an award reservation I need to make two reservations. But soon, I can book those two reservations as one?!?!?!?! Wow, now that's progress! Such a huge technological advancement (insert sarcasm emoticon) - has anyone called the press? Things like this just reinforce my decision to give my loyalty to folks like Hyatt and SPG when they got rid of BOGO for elites.

Seriously, I would love to know what even one of these people in the corporate office of Marriott Rewards does all day. Just one.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott must think we're stoo-pid - new cash+points system for reservations
    nycdave Platinum 4 Reviews

Are we missing something here?  Haven't I always been able to  made back to back reservations, one for points, one for cash?  What is the advantage to this program?

Is this the replacement for BOGOs?

sweet1231 Gold 4 Reviews

You're missing nothing here - it's a typical bait and switch distraction that many companies have used in the past and it appears to be Marriott's turn. You have always been able to make a cash reservation. You have always been able to make a points reservation. In the past, had you made back to back reservations (cash and the points or vice versa) all you had to do was mention it to the front desk so that they were aware - which would normally allow them to combine the two reservations so that you didn't have to switch rooms during your stay. This appears to allow that to happen when you make the two reservations. Big, whippedy do. Marriott knows it's 2012, right?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi sweet1231,

Great points -- and all true from what I read.  The only thing I would quibble with is that "you have always been able to make a points reservation." Not so.  I have had increasing trouble, even using my free nights for the Chase card or other bonuses.

But in the past I HAVE reserved a couple of nights at high cost hotels using points and made reservations for the remaining nights paying.  I never had any problem getting them to keep me in the same room.

However, until the clarification comes, I agree that this is not anything different.

ProfChiara

cjkatl Platinum

Marriott, Marriott, Marriott...you've done it again. This morning, I was perfectly happy with you as a business partner. Then I read this announcement. You've insulted me. You've made it clear you think that I'm stupid, and you've reminded me that BOGOs were taken away a year ago and never replaced.

If there was a back of the house reason to provide the ability to combine reservation types, of course you needed to do this update. If you thought customers should know about this change, of course you should put out an announcement. But trying to convince us it's an improvement that we clamored for is peeing on our leg and telling us it's raining. We recognize the pig on which you are trying to put slather in lipstick. Once again, Marriott, you have managed to create ill will among your most valued customers where there didn't need to be ill will. Hopefully your announcement was prepared by a summer intern and accidentally made public and not actually thought out, written and released by someone who holds himself out to be a smart professional. If it's the latter, y'all are being conned by a charlatan.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Skiadcock,

I must be missing something.  I read the anouncement that Marriott will have C&P and thought it would be like Starwood and was happy.  Where did you find out that it was just combining reservations?

cjkatl Platinum

Here is a link to where it is all explained: http://www.marriottrewards.com/cashpoints. And here is Marriott's explanation of this "enhancement" from its site:

Get ready for Marriott Rewards Cash + Points, a new way to book a stay that lets you combine redemption nights and cash nights within a single reservation of two nights or more. Along with this new flexibility, you’ll still earn points and Elite night credits for your nights paid with cash. So add a few days of relaxation onto a business trip or redeem just a portion of your points for a vacation.

The Marriott program isn't the same as the similarly named programs at other hotel chains or airlines. Marriott apparently took the name, but hoped we were too stupid to realize it wasn't the same program. It's like Wendy's announced they are going to start selling happy meals, but the happy meal is just the same hamburger and fries as always, at the same price, without the cool box or toy inside. Even toddlers would understand the difference. 

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings skiadcock – we’ll reply to the announcement here on Insiders when the new booking feature launches and the landing page is available with more detailed information.

The announcement can be found at, Coming Soon: Book your Marriott Reservations with Cash + Points

Message was edited again by: communitymanager. Thanks for catching the link skiadcock.

sweet1231 Gold

Was I supposed to get this message?

Oops, the page can't be found

If so, no problem.

erc Platinum

Ok, now we've really seemed to have gone down the rabbit hole on this subject. Is this the link you meant to post here Andy (or whoever)? Unless Skiadcock has a personalized cash plus points mega bonus, this link doesn't appear to update the discussion about the ability to combine bookings between points and cash vs. the current situation of making two sequential reservations, one with points and the other with cash. Is there a system available yet where we can combine nights using points and nights paying into one reservation? Thanks

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Yeah, it's kind of weird.  Marriott Concierge referenced my post re: the cash+points program advance notice, but then put in a link to the fall megabonus program - which is not cash+points.

On a dif note, supposedly there's supposed to an announcement today re: the 'new' BOGO system & some other things, none of which sound that great but I'm willing to reserve judgment until it's actually announced.  But if what I've read is true, it might be a step back for Marriott & elites.  We'll see.

Maybe they'll be doing an update on their cash+points program when they do the other announcements.

Cheers.

erc Platinum

Wow, this thread has been hijacked by the Fall Megabonus treasure hunt. Well played Andy.  It would be exciting if The Cash and Points Reservation system turns out to be an actual benefit; something like being able to book whatever type room you paid for (better view, larger room etc) and matching the room with points (since it requires a minimum of two nights, this would seem reasonable in days of old). But given the ongoing trend, it stands a good chance of being like the current Courtyard "special" being offered on the web site - Book two weeks (pre-paid) in advance (btw the card says advace - this is like an R being burnt out in a Marriott Hotel sign) and get 20% off weekend stays (off the regular room rate NOT the weekend rate). Man, this is like promoting $90 hotel rooms that charge $20 parking and offering a Package of room and parking for $110. I'll follow lonestar's advice and wait until the full details, but it sure doesn't look too encouraging.

Thanks erc and skiadcock for the catch, link is updated. There's also a link to the Exclusive News blog in the right column on the home page or any topic overview page.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I am hoping for two things here:

1) By combining cash and point stays, I won't have to change rooms.  When staying at an MVCI last year, 1st night on points (actually it may have been a free night cert.) and subsequent nights on cash, I did have to change rooms, and they were pounding on my door at 9am the morning of the change to clean it.  It would be nice if when combining points and cash, I can stay in the "best" room for the entire stay, and not have to move.

2) By combining cash and point stays, it will improve availability in terms of staying on points (more availability than presently.)

This may have some potential.  I don't know how one can jump to any sort of conclusion - good or bad - with so few details being offered about the program at this juncture.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

But what bonus did Pluto receive?

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

What is the start and end dates for this promotion?

Closing this thread but the MegaBonus thread has been branched to http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/58041#58041 or via the announcement, Register for the Fall MegaBonus promotion and earn your own personalized offer

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...