4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2012 2:43 PM by pluto77 RSS

Hotel Charges - Pay with CC or Sign to Room

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I will be staying 3 nights  at the Ritz-Carlton, NY  this weekend.

It was booked on the Amex Plat Card (for the extra benefits) and must be paid for on that card versus the Marriott CC.     Do you get points for misc. charges (i.e. spa, meals, drinks, etc) if they are billed to the room, or only points for the actual nightly room charge?

Would I be better off (pointwise)  charging those misc. expenses separately to the Marriott Card?     

I'll leave a review when I return home.  Thanks for all your advice.    

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Hotel Charges - Pay with CC or Sign to Room
    Segments Platinum 4 Reviews

I'm not sure about how points are awarded at Ritz-Carlton.

Why not charge them to your room (in case points are awarded for meals, spa, etc), and then at check-out ask for your incidentals be billed to your Marriott CC (keeping the room rate itself on the AMEX).    There should be no problem splitting between two cards and it will allow you to maximize points while retaining your AMEX Plat benefits on the reservation.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

kroywen, see if you can get your Marriott rewards number is attached to your reservation.

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

I didn't bother splitting the bill between cards -- but my MR # was attached to the reservation and they acknowledged it upon checkin.     I've posted a review about my stay.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

kroywen,

My understanding is that if your MR# is attached to your stay/reservation, then as a Gold elite member, you should receive 12.5 points per dollar spent (regardless of how you paid for it), including room charges, meals, parking, marketplace, spa, etc. so long as these expenditures were billed to your room.  You of course would earn an additional 3/5 points per dollar spent if you used your Chase Marriott Visa, which you stated that you didn't (because you got another deal - Amex).  So I would be interested in knowing if Marriott credited you the 12.5 pts/dollar to your rewards account.  I can't remember if they include the room tax in the calculation or not (my guess - probably not).

I'm glad you had a nice vacation!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...