15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2012 1:57 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Check the Work

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'm in the middle of a bunch of stays in the Northeast with a road trip back home going a little farther west through central PA, Tennessee and Alabama before getting home. As part of this string of stays I have a 'one nighter' that I'm using a free night certificate for before it expires. It's the only 'freebie' night for all of these stays. I decided to alter my itinerary and called the Platinum line to change the 'one nighter freebie' to another location farther down the road. The rep said they take care of it and did so as I saw the new reservation on my 'Upcoming Reservations' roster. But, then I checked it. The 'new reservation was made using points and the expiring free night certificate had been placed back in my file on my 'Activity' page. I'm glad I checked the reservation. I then re-booked it using the certificate and cancelled the points using stay.

Now, I've always gotten superb service from the Platinum line customer service folks so don't take this with you as a complaint because mistakes happen. But, always remember to 'check the work'.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Check the Work
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

This is a very good post, Tef.  Something similar happened to me.  Last year, made the reservation using the cert, but they charged me points anyway.  A simple phone call fixed it.  You are right.  Nothing or no one is perfect, and I agree it's always a good idea to 'check the work.'

Happy and safe traveling!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

The 'check the work' deal harkens back to my 'working' days. I used to tell everyone all the time to 'check the work'. Managers would tell new hires to do anything but send me work they didn't check. I can remember many a time I would walk into a 'new' staffers office and have their 'work' rolled in my hand tapping it on my other one. They would look up at me and drop their head and say.....'I know, I know.......I didn't check the work' and then try to tell me why. It was usually the last time they didn't check it before they sent it to me....

But. it is important to check....for many reasons

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Unfortunately these days, you have to check up on everything.  You can't trust too many things to work, even in these days of high technology!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

especially in these days of high technology!

No one tests anything anymore.

and when you log problem reports, they look for every loophole to get out of going it, and hound you to close the ticket

yes they get rated, on how quickly they can close a ticket.

more work goes into ticket management than the actual work the ticket is for which is usually to fix something not done right the first time cause folks were more interested in declaring it complete, than whether ir really is

Yes, just like mosttimes doumenting a problem takes more effort than the resolution itself!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Good reminder!  We all should pay attention before the mistake takes hold and is hard to fix.

Maybe marriott stay is just as confused as the rest of us on all the promo deals.

They are difficult to keep straight.

Would help us all if we could just convert them into equivalent points and use as we please.

It would be nice if that were an option.  I have been able to use them to my advantage so far.

Its either train up the staff, or simplify the process.

If the Platinum line is making mistakes like that, imagine what central reservations is like:=)

Unfortunately there can always be human error.  I expect that Marriott promotes the finer to platinum.

This is why I like to be able to use the web and then I can see what is happening.  Enen then, you can have computer error.

I usually use the web too

but the other night when I had to reschedule my weekend, and I was in the airport with all my luggage it seemed so much easier just to call.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to make use of SS suggestion as I would need to be online.  Sometimes on these reschedules, I have actually been on the plane, and I call the airline platinum club for the plane 1st, and Marriott for the room next, all from my airline seat.

Yes.  I do too when on road.  However, there are some cases that one must call in because it can't be done on web.

I could have, and probably should have, gotten out my nook, gotten on the airport WiFi and done this online.

Perhaps in the future, when I don't get the response I want, I will tell them I need to think about it, use WiFi to go online and see what I can do.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...