43 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2012 3:30 PM by profchiara RSS

Honolulu Hawaii

fluffydog Silver
Currently Being Moderated

DSC00769.JPG2012-04-25_12-14-24_725.jpg2012-04-30_07-42-36_724.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Honolulu Hawaii
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Were these pics from the Waikiki Marriott, where I soon will be, airlines and weather willing?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Kapalua-Dream Silver 3 Reviews

Expect to see much better view.  Be sure to drive up to Kolina and check out the Marriott up there as well.  And if you get a chance get off of Oahu and come see the outter islands to see the real beauty of Hawaii.  If you can not get off island then be sure to drive up to the north shore.IMG_0228.JPG

Thanks, Kapalua-Dream!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

prof -- FYI, not sure if your plans include a rental car, but The Bus is a good, cheap, convenient way to get around most parts of Oahu.

Great idea, nuhusker, since I rarely rent cars!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

We took the public bus around the whole island.  It was great and the time before I had rented a car and just about got it towed for being 5 minutes to late in moving it off the street.  It was my fault, but I got the car off the tow truck, but still had to pay the parking ticket.  No rental cars for me, if I can help it anywhere!

The Bus is actually a great way to relax and people watch.  We rode from Wakiki to north shore with no problem. 

Sounds fantastic!  I'll report back...

Hi all,

Things haven't started out well and I only have two days left in Honolulu.  Turns out doing my bucket list is a very good thing and that this trip was mainly a mileage run.  As I was exiting the plane on the jetway with my carry-on suitcase and purse and surrounded by other people with luggage, my knee gave out, crashing me backwards into the side of the jetway and finally to the ground.  (This has happened elsewhere, with my knees, ankles and hips, usually just not in such dramatic fashion.)  I am one enormous bruise, even under my right eye and cheek because of my glasses hitting.  I got to Honolulu Wednesday night and have a very nice room (not a suite) on the corner of the 15th floor.  Unfortunately, while I have two windows, I can only see a bit of Diamond Head and a bit of Waikiki beach because of the skyscrapers.  Anyway, I just stayed in my room all day yesterday and got room service.

I am planning on spending today entirely at and in the pool, even though I look battered...  (Hopefully face foundation can cover some of it.)

ProfChiara

tough way to start a leisure trip...but sounds like you're making the best of it anyway.  Hope you enjoy the rest of the trip and are able to see USS Arizona Memorial and other interesting sites around Oahu. 

Thanks, NUHusker!  I still have today and tomorrow, so hopefully part of the discomfort from the bruises will start to ease. I should add that everyone was very nice, with other passengers helping me up and Delta personnel offering to get me a wheelchair.

I have to say the hotel here is mixed.  The room is generally quite attractive, with a balcony and chairs.  But there is no bathrobe and no lounge at all (I don't understand how such a large hotel doesn't have a lounge).  They did give me two (I'm here four nights) vouchers for breakfast buffet, which is fantastic, but no comp for the weekend days.  So that issue resurfaces again. 

I will see what I am able to do tomorrow (since I have my trip home Sunday is HNL-LAX-ATL-PWM!) and since some of my bruises make sitting rather uncomfortable...  That's why today is definitely a pool day.

ProfC

If you happen to drive/rode up thru the interior of the island to the Dole Plantation, do me a favor and wink or blow a kiss when you pass Wheeler AAF, in honor of all the GI's who were stationed there on Dec 7, 1941.

I actually envy your itinerary because my favorite airport restaurant in the Whole World is Paschal's in Terminal A in the Atlanta Airport!  I spend a fair amount of time in the southeast and you can't get to where I go without going thru ATL.  I'll be passing thru there mid Sept.  Yummmm!!!

Will do!  And if I get stuck in Atlanta (although it's a red eye from LAX so I'll be there in the middle of the night if all goes well), I will definitely check out Paschal's.

Cheers, ProfC

Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions, but I'm afraid I'm stuck in the hotel till I come home tomorrow.  My injuries seem worse than I thought (apparently a sprained ankle besides all the bruises and a hematoma under my eye -- I am quite a sight!).  I took a walk of all of 2-3 blocks along Waikiki Beach before I ended up doing a combo of hops and limps to get back.  I will probably go to the pool again today if I dare (people kept staring until I looked straight back at them) since I look like someone dragged me into a back alley and beat me up.  But at least nothing hurts when I swim.

But NUHUSKER, I will wave across the island in any case.

And kudos to the restaurant folks at both D.K.s (wonderful dinner!) and Kuhio Beach for breakfast for pretending very well not to notice .

ProfChiara

I love it that you're making the best out of a sucky situation.  And just think, when you walked along Wakiki Beach, you walked in the shoes of the Travellin' Man himself, Ricky Nelson!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Professor,

I am sorry to hear about your nasty fall.  On a positive note, you now have a reason to undertake another mileage run to Hawaii.  There is so much to enjoy beyond Honolulu.  I hope you have a comfortable flight home and heal quickly.

Thanks NUHusker and GM1!  You mean I was hopping in the footsteps of Ricky Nelson ?  Fortunately while I have very thin skin (literally) regarding bruising (and seem to have hit everyone else's luggage on the way down as well as bruises from the people helping who were pulling me up by the arms, I have pretty thick skin regarding other things.  The other people at the pool can either take it or leave it.  (But I did make a purchase of a long sleeve cover-up for when I am wearing normal clothes.  And I bought more makeup to cover the blood line under my right eye where my glasses got smacked into my cheekbone.)

So yeah, it's a sucky situation, but it could be a whole lot worse.  I am, however, looking forward to going home. And then maybe a few months from know it will be an amusing story, I hope!

ProfC

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

prof

wow. what a story.  glad you are making the best of it, but what a shame....  have another glass of wine!

shoeman

Thanks, Shoeman -- I ALREADY have...   I leave early tomorrow morning so I had a last meal (geez, that didn't sound good) for lunch at Arancino.  The Waikiki Marriott hotels are truly superb.

Of course I may have another.  There are convenience stores all over the mall area between the two towers that are very nice -- especially since the refrigerator in the room is for personal use, not a minibar.

You have now given me an idea.  I do have a lovely balcony partially overlooking the ocean.  All that may be required to enjoy it one last time fully is a glass of wine (always making sure my sprained ankle doesn't hurl me over the railing since I'm on the 15th floor).

Anyway, I've seen a tiny bit of Hawaii.  I need only Alaska, Oregon (I cannot figure out why a conference has not taken me there) and the Dakotas to make all 50 states visited, however briefly.

Cheers, ProfChiara

PS -- I just noticed the 'another' in your note -- how we all have gotten to know one another online!

I meant the Waikiki Marriott hotel restaurants are spectacular.

Professor,

Have a safe trip!

You are in Paradise, so enjoy!

You only have a few states to wear your "50 patch".

Aloha!

Hi Jerry,

I've probably done most of the enjoyment I can under the circumstances and the hopping, hobbling on Waikiki Beach was a highlight even though it hurt.  But the hotel has been very, very nice and I've had some down time at the pools, and some great meals.

And Razorback, I too, hope I get to come back.  This was the one place in the world I believe my parents were truly happy.  Now don't you all go psychoanalyzing me .

Cheers,

ProfC

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Hi ProfC,

I just was getting caught up from not reading posts for 3 days and saw this from you.  I'm so sorry to hear of your mishap and hope you are feeling better now! I hope that if you are already home, it was a nice, relaxing trip. 

You're right, these kinds of things seem kind of funny when you look back, but that doesn't help feeling you are missing out when you are there.  Even more so, if it's somewhere you hardly ever get to go to.  Get better soon!

Hi Tryt,

It got worse.  This is something like ProfChiara's National Lampoon Hawaiian vacation without Chevy Chase.

I'm home, battered, weary and without my luggage. I left yesterday, HNL-LAX-ATL-PWM only to find my luggage didn't get on the LAX plane (I had decided I couldn't chance moving around with it so much so I checked it). Instead it went to Detroit to be sent on to Portland -- tonight.  They were going to deliver it in the middle of the night to central Maine till I said tomorrow. Everything I own and bought better be in that suitcase! The DL baggage rep at PWM did say it would probably get to me much faster tomorrow when they saw it had a SkyPriority tag on it and that I'd been traveling first class. 

I get more battered looking every day, with 4" diameter bruises all over me (I'm surprised the hotel didn't call the police that first night) as well as finger mark bruises from people helping me.

I think as lovely as Hawaii undoubtedly is, I probably will stick to my research trips to Europe and the Middle East in the future.  This was the longest haul trip I've ever done and I spent most of it in my hotel bed.

SIGH!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Oh NO!  I guess when things go to pot, they REALLY go to pot!  Bruises always seem to keep getting worse for a week or two.  My wife got her knee replaced in January, and the whole upper leg got blacker and blacker for about a week, and then slowly went away a few weeks later.

You have my deepest sympathies, and maybe the award for the year, so far, for a vacation go really wrong. .  I really hope your bag finds you today, and that it is all intact.

Thanks so much, Tryt -- it's really just nice to be home with my cat (who doesn't complain about how I look).  The part that actually hurts the worst (besides my ankle) is the area under my eye (with a small hematoma) and cheekbone where my glasses slammed into my face.  I'm going to have to get some much more serious makeup than I now have to cover that, especially if the bruise part gets worse. But I don't think I fractured any part of my cheekbone because it's not swollen. Fortunately most of the rest can be hidden under conservative clothing.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Hi Prof:

I haven't been online in a few days and can't believe the experience you had! I feel so bad for you........going all that way and having the worst of scenarios happen! I hope you are resting comfortably and getting ready for the next junket. I know you won't be kept down by an experience like this! And I'm sure Leelee was happy to see you no matter the circumstance of your looks! .....and I'll bet you felt better as soon as you saw her.

Hi Tef,

Thanks so much!  I'm still not in great shape and have to wear lots of clothing, but you're absolutely right -- being home with Leelee makes all the difference! You obviously share the same kind of animal companion relationship .

I'm supposed to be going to Rome in three weeks, but we shall see...

Cheers, ProfC

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Sending well wishes and warm thoughts your way!  Maybe when the dust settles, you can plan a nice 'stay'-cation before the new school year starts?

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

hi nuhusker, I love Paschal's, too.  Their southern style food is actually good and reasonably priced.  When we were in Atlanta last week, it was about 6 A. M. after a red eye flight and unfortunately, I just wasn't hungry.  I had eaten there on the way west.  My husband likes the wrap place just down the corridor.

Interestingly enough, when I eat at Paschal's, my wife heads for the wrap place.  Next time you're at ATL early in the morning, check out Paschal's breakfast.  Corned beef hash and grits are hard to beat!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

professor, I'm so sorry to read about your unfortunate arrival in Hawaii.  I'm glad you didn't break anything, but I know you must be sore.  I hope you get back to Hawaii someday and can see all the beautiful sights.  You were so lucky to get breakfast vouchers.  We did not get them when we stayed there in November.  I think the Marriott is considered a resort so they don't have a concierge lounge.

Hi Razorback,

I got two vouchers for four days, so it seems to be the pattern of eliminating all weekend service.  I still don't get that a hotel with two huge towers (I"m only about halfway up -- probably a good thing) doesn't have a lounge.  Admittedly it would have to be a policed lounge because there are so many kids here and so many regular vacationers that I think the transgressions we've all complained of would be multiplied.  Still, all it takes is an intern or two(like they do at the Athens Ledra) to enforce policy. And some of those interns have been the nicest I've ever found.

I think we've come to the point on our breakfast posts where Marriott has decided. If they haven't and someone knows, please tell me.  Again, I have ultimate loyalty to Delta and miles because that's where I feel my rewards and my mileage mean something (not to mention nice people willing to imprint their fingerprints on your arms in a bruise in order to help you -- God forbid I should have been murdered later -- all those nice people would have been implicated). SORRY -- I have a bizarre sense of humor that gets me through lots of strange difficulties.

I think Marriott is being pennywise and pound foolish with the new policy (whether or not it is a new policy, I think almost all of us feel it is).

Fortunately, I have not once had it enforced in Europe. If they do, I will be shocked -- they just don't think about this stuff the way American hotel chains seem to do.  (I'm sure I speak for other places in the world as well.)  And the funny thing is that most Europeans eat minimal breakfasts themselves.  But it's the whole hospitality business that matters to them, and making their customers satisfied.

So yes, I got two great buffets, but had to pay today.  For tomorrow, besides the wine I bought for tonight (it's still afternoon here, which has taken major getting used to for me), I bought some watermelon for breakfast from the convenience store since I won't spend about $20 for another breakfast, however good -- especially since I have at least two upgrades en route home.

BTW, it is probably the wine speaking but I am already laughing about the irony of my situation.  I go to paradise and end up battered thanks to my own arthritis and jetway travel with carry-on luggage (I'm checking it free en route home). I think it's part because I think of how many people will never see the amazing places I have, and so I recognize how truly lucky I am.  But I did work hard for it!!!

So laugh with me at my bruises and sprains and say a little prayer that the jetways coming home are kind to me.

Cheers, ProfC

Kapalua-Dream Silver 3 Reviews

Have been following your discussion and have much sympathy for you.  Next time you get to Hawaii, get of Oahu and try some of the outer islands.  Maui is our home so we are bias, but there is much beauty, lots to do, great golf, fantastic restaurants and lots of Aloha spirit.  Safe travels home and heal soon.  

My best friend and his wife have told me the same thing, and they go to Maui once a year to celebrate their anniversary.  Hopefully, I will come to the beautiful islands once again under better conditions.  My problem is I can't really finance anything that does not have to do with the research.  This was an odd trip glitch because of the airline tax situation last fall when my trip to Toulouse France was cancelled for mechanical failure. As I said before, I got a full refund, but it was virtually unusable for me because you had to fly somewhere where the tax was as high or higher than the original flight and back then all the airlines were advertising world airfares around $200 that actually cost more like $1200 when taxes were added.

So it's not that I hadn't wanted to see Hawaii but more that under normal circumstances I can't afford it since it's way far out of my research specialty.  But if something like this happens again, I will definitely go to Maui or the Big Island.

Cheers, ProfChiara

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I just read through this thread and I am so sorry that you have  had so many mishaps, if we can call those mishaps.  You had a horroble flying schedule and were probably tired when you arrived and that is when things seem to go wrong.  I stayed at the hotel for a week and was not given any breakfast coupons.  They did give me a half price one which was still really expensive.  I think I may have had the same room as you did.  I was in the far tower and had a lot of walking and if you were there, it must have been hard.

It is too bad because Hawaii has a lot to offer and can be wonderful.

You say you only travel on business and if so, don't you acquire ff miles and hotel pts as well and couldn't you use them for a return trip?  If so, with less connecions and a longer stay?

I love Maui and have been going there every year and sometimes twice a year for over 25 years.  You are really lucky to be able to call such a wonderful place home.  When I go, I stay at the Marriott and am one who wish that they left it as a hotel.

Kapalua-Dream Silver 37 Reviews

Californian,

Yes it is a great place to call home.  Having lived in Chicago for 55 years it is a big change, but one for the better overall.   The best part is how nice the people can be.  The weather  is not bad either.

The Marriott hotel was always one of our favorites.  The conversion they did is okay.  Keep in mind that we have the Ritz up in Kapalua.  A good alternative.

What time of the year do you usually come over?  Are you a golfer?  If so we should get in a round sometime.

Kapalus,

The Ritz is more expensive even with pts.  I also like the beach at the Marriott with down to earth people.  I walk it every day and take the stairs to help me get healthy while I am there.  I am not a golfer but would like to get together when I am at the Marriott in Jan.  I will be there from the 4th to the 17th or maybe the 18th if my wait list on United clears.  Perhaps lunch or a coffee?

Cal

Kapalua-Dream Silver 37 Reviews

Look forward to meeting you in January.  Give me a shout a few weesk before at katz@kapalua-dream.com and we will put it on the calendar.

Professor,

No, it's not the Marriott.  The Marriott is not on the beach.  This looks like the Sheraton.  Great picture, great place to visit.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...