16 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2012 2:10 AM by californian RSS

'Free nights,' overrides, etc.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

HI all,

OK, I don't get it.  I didn't even know about overrides (mostly because I don't stay in hotels in the US) before the recent discussion.  But today I tried to use my Category 5 MR Premier Chase Visa Card (I'm not havin' a lotta luck lately...) anniversary night to stay in Portland before leaving for Hawaii at 7am the next morning.  Well, guess what.  No availability at ANY Portland, ME hotels for that date (about my only chance of ever using my certificate before it expires on Dec. 31).  But what struck me most was that she told me that she could give me an override if I paid for either the Portland Sable Oaks or Courtyard Airport.  What's wrong with this picture?  Do they really throw people out of rooms if I say go ahead and override, or is it an attempt to get us not to use the certificates?

My points from the Boscolo have also not yet shown up though I'll give that a few days since Andy said he spoke with them.

ProfChiara;

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: 'Free nights,' overrides, etc.

PS -- I just checked online and it looks like either hotel is available for that night without overrides.  SIGH.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

prof

so all is good???

by the way, is the Hawaii trip for work or pleasure?  where are you going once you get there?

Hi Shoeman,

It's a mileage run (that I explained in another post because of an airline-cancelled trip last fall when taxes were much higher than fares). I had no choice but to use it somewhere in the US so I decided to maximize miles and get some days on the beach.  So four legs of flying each way and 3 days on the beach.  Still, it's somewhere I've never been.

As for the certificate, it would be for Tuesday night, so change is unlucky.  I seem to be unlucky with Marriott these days, since my Boscolo points are still not posted.

Cheers,
        ProfC

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

ProfChiara, It's my understanding that the platinum override doesn't work using points/certificate.  Nobody actually gets kicked out of their room, but more likely that someone will cancel a reservation so it's a non-issue.  If you really need the room, book it at the cash rate, and keep checking back for availability using the certificate.  You migh get lucky.  Good luck.

Hi NUHusker,

It probably won't work since I'm leaving Wednesday morning at 7am from Portland so I'd need to stay Tuesday night.  I just don't get it that you can pay for a room and all is well but when you try to use a certificate there are no rooms.

I've decided I'll just leave Waterville at around 3am, which should get me to the airport in time for check-in and security.  Unfortunately in PWM, unlike Boston, there are tons of flights that leave between 5-7am so security lines are horrible, which gave me the idea in the first place. And because it's a small airport, they don't have dedicated lines for FFs.

Cheers, ProfC

PS - I won't pay $200-250 a night when I can get up in the wee hours and drive for two. It was just nice (for one brief moment) thinking I might be able to use my anniversary night this year (which I have not been able to do in the past 2-2 years).

Just in case anyone is wondering, I didn't decide overnight that it might not be a good idea to leave Waterville at 3am Wednesday -- my flight times were changed.  They were supposed to be around midday, which would have been easy.

And Shoeman, yes, despite all the flights (which is part of the reason), I do plan to enjoy Hawaii as a complete and utter tourist.  I haven't taken that kind of vacation in decades.

Cheers, ProfC

I'd like to make another suggestion -- why not make the Chase Marriott Premier Card Anniversary award available Jan. 1- Dec. 31?  The other part of my problem this time is that I only recently was notified I could use my anniversary award.  Like I said, typos included, I have not been able to use my free night any time in the past two to three years because I don't travel in the US between late June and December.  And like I also said, I am using my Delta Amex Reserve Skymiles card more and more...and my Marriott card less and less.

My main point is that we need to be guaranteed what we are told we are supposed to get, whether it be points accrued without hassle (ie the Boscolo) or using an anniversary night at a relatively unimportant place. (Sorry to put down my now home state, but it's true.  Certainly it's more popular in summer, but I still don't get that right now I could pay for a room at the rates they advertise for one night, yet when I try to use my free night, they're not available.  I don't know what I am not getting about this process.

ProfChiara

PS -- In any case, though I will utterly crash when I arrive in Honolulu at 6pm their time (after starting at 3am from home EDT my time), I will do due diligence in giving my report on the Waikiki Marriott.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

"I still don't get that right now I could pay for a room at the rates they advertise for one night, yet when I try to use my free night, they're not available."

I don't understand it either, but I agree with you that it's not right.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Call CS and they will extend your free night.

I did and they said they could do an override (and have me pay) but that there were no available free anniversary nights.  Yet if I could book most all of them online and pay there must be rooms.  I don't get it.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Prof, I think what Californian means is that if you call Marriott and ask, they will extend the expiration date on your free night cert. beyond December (if you don't think you can use it again).

Also regarding the Boscolo credit card points, I wonder if those points won't post then until after your current billing cycle closes.  Did you ask them how long you could expect to wait before seeing the points posted?

I really think booking free night certs. as far in advance as possible (especially if it's for a night during peak travel season) is key.  By the same token, I would think that a hotel would rather entertain a stay with a free night cert, than let a room go empty... maybe there's more to it than I understand.    Hope something opens up for you.

Thanks all!  I will call to see if I can have the certificate extended since next time I'll be staying at a hotel in the US is January.

As for the Boscolo (aka Grand Hotel dei Dogi) it was on my last billing statement.

ProfC

Good luck.  I am pretty sure that they will do it and then you will be able to use it.

They have capacity controls.  so many rroms are for rewards and that is it.  Sometimes, when it gets closer, they open more rooms.  You cold try again later.

len Gold

Sorry to hear you are having problems, but I did talk with a Marriott Representative and this is what I am told. Marriottt hotels set aside about 10% of their rooms for Marriott Certificates/Point Reward redemptions.  If you have sufficient Marriott Points you could book the room using points and then when your anniversay certificate was available you could switch the room to the cerficate and have your Marriott Points returned to your account. Based upon your comments it did not appear that you had sufficient time to make this work.  Based on other comments, it appears that you should try and extend your anniversay certificate and use it in another tourist place you might visit. I do realize we are talking about Marriott Hotel Categories 1-5. Good luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...