11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2012 4:50 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Washington, DC - Fairfield Inn - New York Ave

tracyeg Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Need to vent.  I spent two nights in this hotel and while the place looks new and fresh, it could use some enhancements.

1.  All elevators were non-functional in a 10 story hotel (yes, things happen and staff was willing to carry bags down and techs were trying to get it fixed) but it was a huge inconvenience.

2.  Why charge for parking?  Because you can?  It is far enough away from tourist areas that it seems like just another way to grab a few more bucks.

3.  Breakfast set up was too small and people were stumbling over each other to get something.

4.  Breakfast only until 9 am - seems like all other FFI's are at least until 10am.

5.  Breakfast space very small - people were unable to find seats and standing to hold their food while eating.

6.  Free shuttle only running for select hours seemed pointless, why stop it from 12-5 pm?

7.  Lemonade decanter in lobby remained empty and untouched for all 48 hours I was there.  Couldn't someone refill it or remove it.  It had about an inch of lemonade just sitting in it.

8.  Area was not that attractive.  A bit rough off the property and major street prohibitive to get to anything else across the street.

9.  A lot of smoking by people and employees right at the entrance though ash tray was about 20 feet away.  With people loading their car at the front of the hotel, you couldn't help but get all that second hand smoke in your car.

10.  Pool was tiny.

11.  No kids channels (Disney, Nick, etc.)

On the positive.

1.  Staff was friendly.

2.  Pool was warm.

3.  When requesting towels for the pool, they were brought instantly.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, D.C., USA
  • Re: Washington, DC - Fairfield Inn - New York Ave
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Dear tracyeg,

Feel better ?  Hope so!  We all certainly need to vent from time to time.  Last Autumn I stayed at an FFI that must've been booked by a tour company, because the breakfast room was packed with folks who all looked to be part of the same group.  There was standing room only, and it was very hard indeed to navigate to the counters.  The room capacity was definitely limited, so I know where you're coming from.  I've learned that depending on the hotel type (business or leisure), it can sometimes pay to adjust my schedule when possible to avoid any potential "rush" hour.  Some things obviously can't be helped (like the elevators), but other things, like the empty lemonade service and the smoking right outside the door is completely unacceptable.  I would've complained to management about employees smoking at the front entrance.  As far as parking, well I don't know what to say except that paying for parking seems to be a sure thing in big cities (I have a brother-in-law who excels at finding free parking alternatives.  I think he is just more tenacious than I.)

There are a lot of options in the DC area.  Perhaps a different choice next time for you.  I really don't know how some properties can get away with the things that they get away with, but the most effective protest is to stay elsewhere.  Thanks for posting.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tracyeg Gold

Pluto, thanks for the response.  Good suggestion.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Tracyeg,

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your trip to Washington D.C.

The area of town you stayed in, unless it has changed drastically since I lived there, is not a particularly nice area.  New York Avenue is a commuter route into WDC, and most folks drive through without stopping along the way.

When I stay in DC I really like Key Bridge area, as there is a metro stop there, and its possible to walk across the bridge to Georgetown with lots of nice shops and restaurants. Georgetown University is right across the Potocmac, and George Washington University is just a little south on the Potomac.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/local-things-to-do/waskb-key-bridge-marriott/

If you get a room facing south down the Potmac, there are wonderful views of the monuments and Kennedy Center.  If you get a room facing east, the views are of Georgetown University.  The Key Bridge Marriott is a full service property and quite spacious.  Its an older property, which is noticeable in the rooms, but the lobby area is completely rennovated.  Usually there is a nice restaurant/bar on the top floor with great views.  Over the years there have been different restaurants.

Another Marriott I like is on 22nd street, as it is also close to Georgetown and George Washington Univeristy, and walking distance to the Kennedy Center, White House, the museums., etc.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/waswe-washington-marriott/

Another very nice property is the historic Mayflower Hotel that is now a Marriott. It is located on historic Conneticut Ave, in one of the better shopping areas.  Dupont Circle is just north of the property, and the White House to the south.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/wassh-the-mayflower-renaissance-washington-dc-hotel/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayflower_Hotel

erc Platinum

Speaking of the lovely Mayflower Hotel, here's an erc special (act now, they'll go fast); you can stay at the Mayflower for a $79 pre-paid rate or $93 Marriott elite offer from Thursday  Jan.3rd (2-4 nites, 4 gets you two CLs), Jan. 4th (1-3 nites, 3 gets you Sunday)  or Sat. Jan. 5th (1 or 2 nites - check that Sunday nite rate by itself, $309, heck, locals, check in Saturday and go back home!).

Need nights for those last 15,000 megabonus points or like me, care to watch RGIII in the wild card playoffs from your cozy 250 sq. ft room (good shot at upgrade at this occupancy level) then this is the answer, crazy erc's closeout special, the prices are insane (with apologies to that marketing master, Crazy Eddie). Have a great day - post inspired by cuban coffee, not booze

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

erc,

I'm in...thanks for the heads up.

Erc,

Thanx for bringing those incredible prices to our attention.  To stay at the Mayflower for FI rates in incredible.  Its such a grand old hotel with a fantastic location that there is no way to go wrong with this except not to book

tracyeg Gold

GemPriincess, great suggestions.  I'll keep them on file for my next visit to DC.

GemP,

Thanks for posting this most useful info.  I'll refer to it when planning a trip to DC.

Pluto,

I saw some WDC hotel review - properties on F street (900 F & 999F).

Folks were happy with these hotels, but I thought I would warn folks that unless this area has changed significantly since I lived (and worked on 9th & F) that this neighborhood is a sketchy area.

Maybe with the convention center near by its changed.

But if not, I use to walk brikly from the metro at 12th & F, with a large briefcase in front of me that I could use to block people who tried to walk into me, or swing at anyone make any other moves in my direction (and that was during the day....not certain what the evenings are like).

I worked in DC for a short amount of time (about 6 months) when I was very young.  I loved it, and especially loved the Georgetown area.  I wish I had had more time to explore the city.  It created a longstanding passion within me however, and I look forward to spending more time in that lovely city (and many a place in the eastern states) when I am retired and have the time for it, so I appreciate your knowledge and info, particularly related to the Marriott properties.

I went to school in DC and lived in the Georgetown area hence my preference for certain properties where I can easily get around to my old college haunts, some of which are still there.

This may be the reason for my fondness for the Key Bridge Marriott.  I remember going there in college, to the nightclub on top of the hotel and enjoying the views.  And when I moved away and returned for business or pleasure I usually stayed there cause I could have a room with one of my favorite views.  I especially like the corner rooms on the south facing side on high floors.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...