12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2012 4:14 PM by californian RSS

Qualifying Nights

gerardwroe Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Is there an easy way to work out which nights stayed at Marriott & Vacation Properties will count towards Gold / Platinum status? If you stay for a night using points, or a free night award do these count? If you stay 3 nights based on "pay for 2 nights & get the 3rd free" does this count as 2 or 3 nights? And where on the Rewards website can you see which nights stayed count towards Elite status?

regards

Gerard

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Qualifying Nights
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Hi gerardwroe,

Under 'My Account,' click on 'Rewards Account Activity,' and that will tell you how many nights have been credited to your account this year, for elite qualification purposes.  The nights are broked down into number of nights stayed and bonus nights earned (bonus nights are broken further into promotional, credit card, events, and rollover.)

Here's how it basically works.  The only nights that are credited to your account as 'nights stayed' are nights that are paid stays.  Nights stayed on points or stayed using a free night reward certificate do not count.  I would imagine that any other free nights also do not count (ie. stay 4 nights and get the 5th night free will only earn you the 4 nights for elite credit purposes), but I'm not certain about that, having never done it.

Another thing to remember is that for paid stays, if you book 2 or more rooms/night, you will not get credit for both rooms (as two paid nights).  You will only get credit for one.  For instance, you book two rooms (paid stays, not points stays) for one night.  You will only get one night credited to your rewards account, not two.  Again here, we're talking about nights stayed for elite status purposes.

If you have the Marriott premiere credit card, you also earn credit for one night stayed for every $3000 you spend, plus you automatically get 15 nights credited to your rewards account every year on your credit card anniversary, which will really help you to get to whatever elite level goal you're shooting for (sorry if you already know this.  just don't want you to miss out on anything.)

Further, if you add your birthday to your profile on Marriott Rewards, Marriott will currently (at least for this year and they are extending it through next year also) post a night's credit to your account on your birthday.  Some here have posted that you also need to place a quick phone call to Customer Support to get enrolled in the 'free night birthday credit' promotion.

United States/Canada

1 801 468 4000 (8:15am - 9:00pm, Monday - Friday, US Eastern time)

Here's the link to the rewards rule/policy for crediting nights toward earning elite status:

Marriott Rewards® Terms and Conditions

It's a good idea to take the time to read through it in it's entirety, as there are a number of exclusions/exceptions (just one for instance is that at ExecuStay or Executive Apartment locations, you only earn one night's credit for every three nights stayed, etc.)  This way you will not be in for any disappointment down the road.  Many have expressed dissatisfaction with not receiving what they thought they were going to earn (myself included) because they didn't familiarize themselves with all of the rules.  As consumers, we cannot educate ourselves too much!

Thanks for posting, and happy Elite earning.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Great reply!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

You are thorough. 

Thank you, Californian.  I just feel bad (having been there myself on occasion) when I read posts about disappointments regarding the Rewards Program that may have been avoided if the member had full knowledge and understanding of the Program.  Whether it's a hotel or airline Rewards Program (or otherwise), it's always disappointing to think you are doing something to earn rewards only to find out otherwise.  Likewise, always good to know all of the ways to maximize rewards!

You hit the nail on the head.  Know what you are entitled to and mazimize your benefits accordingly.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Pluto:

Great response. The only thing I would add is thaat if someone 'trades' into a marriott Vacation Club property on a timeshare exchange and have their rewards number added to the reservation those nights will count as elite nights. In addition, if you 'own' at a MVC all nights you stay during your 'week' will also count towards elite nights.

gerardwroe Platinum

pluto77 et al - thanks for all your helpful comments, I have been caught out booking 2 rooms & only getting elite status for one before. I hadn't encountered the ExecuStay or Executive Apartment locations issue.

My issue is that when I'm travelling I may stay in 3 - 4 hotels in 10 days, and the elite qualifying nights are then updated "in bulk". In trying to get the best deals I may use my Marriott credit card, points, 4 nights for 3 & / or a free night voucher. The challenge is to see just how many elite nights were credited for each stay. If there appears to be a shortfall it is hard to see which stay produced the shortfall.The points accumulated are shown by stay, but the qualifying nights aren't. I didn't know if anybody else would find it helpful to have Elite Nights itemized by stay?

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

gerardwroe:

The best rule of thumb for counting and checking credit for elite night stays is keep track of only the nights that have a room rate charge for the night.

If you have any stay that is a comp stay in any way (free night certificate, points, a get 1 free, etc) do not track any night that does not have an room rate amount paid for the night.

I do agree; it would be helpful, but in it's absence of it, like Tef said... though tedious, especially for the frequent business traveler such as yourself, will have to just self track.

Tef, thanks for adding the good info about the MVCI nights.

I could see benefits if in addition to points per stay that they also added the elite nights.

laurieg Platinum

I have a problem with the Elite night stay bonus.

It is for a category four or below stay, not up-gradable and not transferable.  For those who regularly stay at category ,6,7,8, hotels your are SOL.Could it not apply to your average category hotel?  Probably too much paperwork or confusion.

Would it not be more client or guest friendly to replace this paper reward; which is easily not used with an upgrade certificate or points?

I believe if you have a Marriott credit card average Silver Elite or above status  you should have a choice regarding this throw away but much touted reward.

At the very least if nothing else it should allow for no black out dates.

I understand what you are saying.  I play with promotions and try to make them work for me.  The hotel that I wanted to use my CC free nt was a cat 5 and changed to a cat 6 before I could get it.  I tried to get them to take cash or pts for an upgrade but they wouldn't do it.  Now it is a cat 7.  It would seem that as hotels are moved up in catagories, the certificates would increase too.

Even with my wishes not being given, I still feel that I have benefitted from the promotions and free nt on CC.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...