11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2012 3:20 PM by profchiara RSS

Why are Marriott Rewards Offers priced higher than standard rates?

mdlynch Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I've noticed this on many occasions and finally decided to try posting a question to this forum.

Why are Marriott Rewards Elite Exclusive Offers priced higher than standard rates?

For example - at the Spring Hill Suites in Prince Frederick Maryland for a stay from 7/29/12 to 7/30/12, the standard rate for a 1BR Suite with 2 Queen is $119.00 per night.

The Marriott Rewards Elite Exclusive Offer for a 1 BR Suite with 2 Double is $125.10.  The 2 Queen Beds is not even offered under the Marriott Rewards Offer rate.   The 1 BR Suite with 2 Queen has a standard rate of $109.00 per night.    Therefore, the Marriott Rewards Offer rate is $16.10 more costly.   I looked at the Rate Rules and I do not see that I would be getting any perks or bonuses for booking under the Marriott Rewards Elite Exclusive Offer.

I'm thinking that if anything, the Marriott Rewards Elite Exclusive Offer should be priced lower than the standard rate, or for the additional cost it should offer a perk or bonus not available under the standard rate.

Thoughts, anyone?

Thank you,

Michelle from Laurel, MD

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why are Marriott Rewards Offers priced higher than standard rates?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi mdlynch,

I've never encountered this before.  You are right.  Something is amiss.  I wonder if the hotel made a mistake in submitting their metrics to corporate for the website rate postings.  Perhaps contact reservations and ask about it, and if they can't give you a satisfactory answer, ask for the hotel phone number or email, and contact the hotel directly to inquire as to why the reward offer price is higher.  Thanks for posting, and please let us know what you find out.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Hi mdlynch:

Are you referring to the offers that are on the rate page when you look to book a room and are posted as 'Marriott Rewards Offers' that are on the far right tab or the elite offers that come up first when you look at the Marriott Rewards Offers that are in the dropdown menu in 'Marriott Rewards' at the top of the home page on marriott.com?

I always check the hotal web site directly for a price comparison to any 'deal' that is posted under Marriott Rewards Offers found in the drop down menu on the home page to make sure that I am booking the best deal available because there may be better ones on the hotel site itself.....or in another hotel close by.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

tef,

it's on the hotel site when you cick 'rates.'

mdlynch Gold 25 Reviews

Correct.  When I display all rates, I will usually see several tabs - standard rates, room packages, marriott rewards offers and if I am looking for an AAA rate, I will see another tab labeled special rates.  I am signed in to my account with my Marriott Rewards number, if not, I wouldn't see this tab for exclusive offers.  I easily found another one with just a few minutes randomly searching.

Atlanta Marriott Norcross - 1 night stay from 7/29/12 to 7/30/12 - Standard Rate for 1 King/2 Double is $145.00 and Marriott Rewards Members Offer is $153.00.   I click on Rate Rules and I am not seeing that anything additional is being offered to an MR member, only the opportunity to pay a price higher than the standard rate.

Occasionally on the Marriott Rewards Offers tab the offer includes 1000 or 2000 bonus points per stay and the price about $10 to $20 more than the standard rate.  However, on the two examples I have provided, I don't see the offer of bonus points, only the higher cost for booking a Marriott Rewards Member Exclusive Offer Rate.

I'd like to give data entry people the benefit of the doubt and think that someone left off the "offer" part of the offer.  I wonder.

Thanks for your replies.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

OK. I thought that was where you were seeing the issue. I too have seen these situations where the standard rate is better than the Marriott Rewards Offers rate. But, I usually see this when the date is getting close to the time when I want to go. I think what happens in those cases are that the hotel adjusts standard rates for staying when close to the date and doesn't negate or take out their Rewards Offer rate.

I have found that hotels change their rates closer to a date depending on the occupancy level. To add to this issue, I booked a Marriott Rewards Offer rate at the San Francisco Marquis for $149. At the time I booked, the best standard rate was $249. As the date got close (the day before my stay was to begin) the hotel changed their Standard Rate column to $110. I booked the stay for the new standard rate and cancelled my Rewards Offer stay and saved $39/night.

My takeaway from all this is to be diligent with nights booked even up to the day before to see if a better rate is available. I can't even begin to count the number of times I have re-booked my previously booked reservation because of a better rate being available.

erc Platinum

Michelle

The answer to your question is that no one from Marriott ever answers this question. I have brought these pricing anomalies up several times, but responses are never made that address the issue of illogical pricing issues. Yes, there are currently several Marriott Reward Offers higher than the Standard (non prepaid) Rate (one example I found just today, Marriott Heathrow 6/28-30  Standard Weekend Rate is 109 GBP, the Marriott Rewards Offer for the exact same room is 139 GBP or about $48 more per night); there are several examples of the AAA rate being $20 or $30 more than the Standard Rate, there are even examples of 'deals' being higher than the Standard (non pre paid) Rate; and there are several examples of two exact same offers being priced $60 -$90 apart; I just checked the Copenhagen Marriott where a Saturday and Sunday rate for May 25 and 26 was 1804 DKK, if I carelessly added a Monday, all three nights became 2374 DKK, about a $190 misstep.

Sadly the list goes on and on. Certainly tef's sound advice holds truer more today than ever before (the good news is that you can often save money by revising downward as the date draws nearer). At times we actually compete against Marriott to save our hard earned dollars as their (very effective toward maxing revpar) state of the art algorithmic pricing strategies sometimes goes awry.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I've actually run into this fairly often; plus I frequently find that AAA rates are actually higher than 'none'.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...