29 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2009 5:59 PM by golfer99 RSS

New York City

grammy Silver
Currently Being Moderated

We are traveling to NYC and are planning to stay at the Renaissance in Times Square.  Has anyone stayed there?  Comments?

• Re: New York City
    brians Platinum
    Great hotel right in the hart of times square. Me and my family have stayed there and are planning to stay there again in November. There are so many things to do it would take all day to tell you about it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

edwin33 Platinum
    One of the really great things about the Renaissance besides its location near the theater district, if you are taking in any Broadway shows, is the view from it's lobby level restaurant that looks directly out on Times Square. There's only one Times Square and there's only one building that will give you the view that you have at the NY Renaissance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

platinumsteve Platinum
    I stayed there about a year ago when renovations were in progress. I understand those are now completed. This place has the feel of a boutique hotel. Kind of a quiet oasis in Times Square. Much different from the Marriott Marquis a couple of blocks away which is big, busy and bustling!

dukeofny Platinum 1 Reviews

Yes, all the NYC properties are nice.   The Renaissance is nice if you want to stay in that area (mid-town Manhattan).   This property has been undergoing renovation for sometime now, but that is nearing completion.  I would ask for an upgrade to a suite.  The two room suites are very nice (ask about one on the 23rd floor), the one I had was well appointed with beautiful wood paneling.  If you are going in mid-week they may give you the upgrade at no cost. If you are traveling with a family consider the Residence Inn on 6 Ave.  If is near Briant Park and not that far from Times Square.  The rooms are a litte small (so with older kids you my want two rooms), but they have a very nice breakfast and after hours hors d’oeuvres (Mon thru Thur).

barbaracollins Platinum
    Has anyone stayed at the Marriott Downtown? I was looking at it for a possible wedding location, but there aren't good reviews on trip advisor.

ericnj Platinum 1 Reviews

It is not the best Marriott Property. If you wanted to stay downtown and needed a Marriott property, then fine. However, if you are looking for a wedding destination, then that isnt it.

jackie Silver
      It's pretty nice.  They just had a renovation. 

clayclay Platinum
      The Marriott Marquis is quite busy, but would probably provide a good venue for a wedding.

suzyq11 Silver
      I stayed in the Marriott Marquis on Broadway.  It's nice, rooms are small,but it is downtown Manhattan. 

verodeby Silver
      I don't know which Marriott you are referring to, but we stayed at the Marriott on Lexington & 45th and it was wonderful. We loved being within walking distance to Times Square without the hustle and bustle of staying there.

travelchick Silver
      If you mean the Marriott Marquis; I stay there almost everytime I go to NY on business and I like it; great location; great gym; like the little bar on the first floor as a place to meet up and set out for the evening. j

jcasper Silver

The Marriott Downtown is a nice hotel, but it's geared more for business. I would recommend the Marquis at Times Square.

captainsteve Member

if you mean the Marriott World Financial Center it's a beautiful hotel, but small rooms and is surrounded by the construction site.

The East Side has an old-world feel and is in a quieter neighborhood, but is far from hot spots.

The Marquis is in the middle of it all, but it's a zoo on weekends, and you will celebrate your first anniversary while waiting in line for the elevators...

cubswon08 Platinum
      I have never stayed there, but, I have stayed at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square and think it is a great Hotel and would be a great place for a destination type wedding.  Plenty of things to do and the hotel has many great resturants and bars.

wineaux Gold
      Tavern on the Green is a great wedding location.  I was married there.  It is a little commercial now, but still a great place.  A wedding in NY has everything to do with your budget.  Summer weddings on a Friday night is sometimes less expensive since the locals leave for the beach.

kvahey Gold

I haven't stayed at the Marriott Downtown but I believe it was recently refurbished.  It's close to the World Financial Center (great waterfront bars for the nice weather) and not to far from the ferries to Ellis Island but I would recommend something closer to Midtown.  The Courtyard East Side is pretty convenient and not your typical courtyard.  Also, it looks like a Courtyard just opened on E. 92nd.  I used to live on E. 90th ("Yorkville") - great bars and restaurants and close to the subway to midtown and downtown hotspots like Union Square are easily accessible. 

As for wedding locations - are you looking for a reception site or a host hotel for your guests?

vermonter Platinum 4 Reviews

My favorite place to stay in NYC is the Renaissance Inn at Times Square.  It's in a great location, they have an awesome restaurant that serves one of the best breakfasts in the country.  It's probably not a great place for a wedding as they lack a large ballroom.  All the same, it's a great place.

Good luck planning your wedding! 

John 

jkehlet Platinum
    Haven't stayed at that one, but the Marriott Marquis has a great location in Times Square, is a great hotel with atmosphere and life to it...  My favorite hotel in Midtown.

crackface_mcge Platinum
    I've stayed there.  This is a very nice property.  Comfortable rooms, good customer service.  Nothing to criticize about this hotel other than the fact that it is in the middle of Times Square, so the foot traffic is very crowded in the area.

jeannie Silver

I have got recommendations from several different friends to stay at the Marriott Marquis if you are staying in downtown NYC and visiting that area.  I'm taking my daughters to NYC in June and have reservations there because it is close to everything.  They say it is fine for that kind of vacation...but for a wedding, I don't know about that...but you will be in the heart of NYC if that's what you're looking for.  Good luck with your wedding plans.

gaudieclipse Platinum

Stayed there last summer.  The were in the middle of renovations and I was very unhappy with my stay.  The lobby and restaurant were not avaiable to us, there was loud construction throghout the day and they even turned off the water a few nights!!

I believe renovations are over now, but I've heard that it's not much nicer.

I wouldn't recommend staying there due to the poor service I received.

steelersfan Platinum
    Marriott Marquis was a great hotel for my wife and I on our first visit to NY this Christmas time.  The location is amazing but might sway you either way... Its right in the middle of everything!  My wife and I had 4 days to do every tourist thing in NY and we were able to make it happene because of the great location of this hotel.  If you don't want to be in the middle of the craziness of Times Square don't stay  here... but if you want to be where the fun is.... Marriott Marquis is where its at!

mattyb Gold
    You should look in to the Marriott East Side in NYC on Lexington Ave.  I just stayed there last week and it is by far one of the best hotels in NYC.  Much less congested than the area around Times Square.

wineaux Gold
    This is a great hotel.  Very central for traveling uptown or downtown.  I had issue with the desk staff, but that may have changed.  Restaurant has a great view of times square.  This is better than the Marquis which is very busy all the time.

melissajak Silver
    I have stayed at that hotel multiple times - literally, weekly for about 6 months.  It's a nice, standard Marriott.  Nothing extravagant.  The bar downstairs is good for post-wedding festivities.  However, I would have just a couple of reservations about having a wedding here  - first, it's right next door to the WTC site.   So when you're waiting for the elevators on every floor, the windows overlook the hole in the ground.  It can be a little depressing and even traumatic for those who were impacted by the event.   Second, it's not near anything.   At all.  It's fine if you work downtown and are just going to the office during the day, but you have to either get on the NR subway, which is a rundown line, or get a cab to go to another part of the city to see/do anything.   If you want to stay downtown, the Ritz Carlton Battery Park is a much nicer hotel for this kind of event.  They have great views of the water, and even rent out their rooftop bar (which is enclosed) for events of your size.   Good luck!

shirley Gold

Hey Grammy:

I stayed at the Renaisance Hotel and it was fine. I prefer the Marriott Marquis myself because it has a sprendid view at the "The View" you can go for drinks and dance!!!!

vermonter Platinum 4 Reviews

The Renaissance Inn at Times Square is my favorite hotel in NYC.  The staff is super friendly and helpful.  The place has just completed an extensive renovation.  The rooms are great, the views are superb, the windows open, it's in a great location, and they have a wonderful restaurant (especially for breakfast).

There's a great convenience store across the street from the hotel, you are within a five minute walk of most Broadway theaters.  You can easily get a cab or hop on a subway.

If you fly into JFK, you can hop on the air train and get to the hotel within 35-40 minutes (it all depends on whether you walk from Penn Station to the hotel or wait for a subway).

I love the hotel and hope that you do too.

John 

gbf111 Gold

Have stayed there many times. Rooms rather small, but nice. The staff is friendly and helpful. For fun, casual dining, try Ellen`s Stardust Diner around the corner on Broadway. Singing waiters and waitresses. Especially fun with kids, including teens.

golfer99 Silver
    For the Renaissance hotel noted here, does anybody know if this hotel has visibility to the Thanksgaving Day parade?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...