This discussion is locked
17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2012 12:01 PM by profchiara RSS

Hotel name problems

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'm starting a new thread to see if others have had the same problem, in this case with the Boscolo Venezia.  I have now called Chase Premier Card Services twice about why I was not given 5 times the point for staying at a Marriott.  Yesterday I was told she was fixing the correct number of points then.  She had tracked down the date, the hotel, and the amount.

But why is the Autograph Collection Hotel Boscolo billing as the Grand Hotel dei Dogi?  Are other recent AC hotels using their old names? It's hard to blame Chase, though it's now been two calls.

ProfChiara

• Re: Hotel name problems
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Prof,

I'm thinking that the name is not relevant whatsoever with regards to credit card loyalty points awards.  I think the vendor is signed up under the wrong business category, which I'm pretty certain is what drives point credits.  Probably the vendor (Boscolo Venezia or dei dogi or whatever) chose the general 'lodging' category initially when it established a business relationship with Visa, which was correct at the time, but once the hotel became part of the Marriott family, it should have contacted Chase bank, and informed them that they needed to add an additional category assignment to the vendor of 'Marriott lodging,' since reward points are awarded  based on the vendor's category as it applies to Marriott Chase Visa cardholders.  That way the correct number of Marriott points will kick in.

A loose example of this is, I thought I would have received a lot more points from my recent trip to Italy than I did, as almost all of the meals (for 5 people) went on my card, but it turns out I didn't get all the points I think I should've gotten, and I'm pretty sure it's because a lot of the restaurant vendors must not have registered their business with Visa as a 'dining' category.  I'm pretty sure I only received 1 pt./dollar instead of 2 pts./dollar for a number of restaurant purchases.  This is just an educated guess on my part regarding my dining purchases (I don't have time to go back and figure it all out and then contact customer service and follow up, etc. for not even 1000 pts. or less.)  In your case, it's definitely worth it, and maybe worth callling Marriott C/S to complain/inquire about this, as it potentially affects a lot of customers, and that's just one property.  If Chase doesn't give you the missing points, I would certainly hope that Marriott would, and even gift you with a few more for the inconvenience.  I would feel quite inconvenienced in your shoes.

Funny, when I read your title, I thought it might be a discussion about the confusion between some Marriott property names like Rome Park, Rome Central Park, etc. or AC hotels vs. Autograph Collection hotels.  There's more confusion there as well!

Wonder what others think?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I thought the same thing--like another person in another discussion who said that it's not the St Lous Marriott, but the Marriot in St lLouis on *** Streed (forgot the name of the street).    I also think that the vendor does not adequately submit the MR numbers to Marriott which is what drives point credits.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks for the answers -- it seems not worth it anymore, after I've already had two somewhat lengthy phone calls.  But it's part of the reason I'm putting everything (except Marriott stuff) on my Amex Delta Reserve card these days.  It's an expensive card, but you get free access to lounges, free companion ticket (doesn't do me any good), some other perks like priority boarding and free checked luggage that I already get as a Platinum.  But if you spend enough (and that's why I'm dedicating my credit card usage to Amex (I never use cash anymore, just pay it off at the end of the month or before) -- you can get up to 15,000 Medallion Qualifying Miles or 30,000 if you really spend a lot.  So even my utility and cable bills are going on it.

From what you said, Lori, I think I am not going to stay at any of the new offerings in the next few years.  I don't want to fight for points I deserve.

As for the other name confusion, I do think they should do something about the three Rome hotels that have similar names.  I know where there are, but for someone who hasn't been to Rome it could be an unpleasant surprise.

On the Amex Delta Reserve card, how much do you have to spend to get the 15k and 30k miles?  United card has 10k miles after a $25k spend.  I do the same thing---everything is charged.  The only time I pay cash in life, is for a lottery ticket!

Submitting MR numbers to Marriott is what drives the 10 pts./$ (plus elite extra pts.).  I thought ProfC was talking about the 5 addl. pts./$ for putting the Marriott spend on the Marriott Chase credit card.  On behalf of you, me and everyone else, I wouldn't give up.  What did Marriott c/s say about it?  What do we have to do to ensure that these properties don't let us down on the points.  Hello Marriott, the points are why we're here!  There is no way I could maintain my elite status or save the points I need for my every-other-year dream vacation without the Chase Marriott spending credits.  Marriott REALLY needs to follow up on this!  Or maybe I'll end up going the way of the Chiara .

No, Lori, It wasn't about 10 pts per dollar spent -- I was not eligible because my room was on points.  But I spent about $292 at the hotel on meals and taxes.  Even on free stays, Chase has always given me the 5x Marriott points spent (except when the name on my bill doesn't match Marriott).  They did give me 292 points, and Chase told me yesterday that the differential would appear and that she understood the problem.  Whenever I've called Marriott C/S about a problem that involves the credit card they say I have to call Chase.  But there's no reason that Chase should know that a hotel with a different name is a Marriott unless I am missing something.

I mean it, I'm only going to stay at the tried and true long-lived Marriott hotels (the Central Park in Rome is okay these days, but wasn't at the beginning when I think it was still billing as Swisshotel or something like that).

Yes, you are missing something here (respectfully), and so is Chase.  The points (3 or 5) is what draws people to the Chase Marriott credit card, and Chase ought to make darn sure that their Marriott vendors are identified as Marriott vendors (for points purposes) if Chase doesn't want to lose customers.  If I were Chase, I would be in regular contact with Marriott to get a regularly updated list of who's in (properties) and who's out!  If Chase can't figure out a way to manage that, their Marriott customers will be saying Sayonara, as you have.

And if properties like Boscolo want to retain customers, they had better do the same.  This isn't rocket science.  Sorry, I am frustrated for you.

Can't you just file a missing stay form on the internet!

I offered to send that to Chase, but they said they saw the problem with the wrong (or old) hotel name listed by the Boscolo. Since I didn't get any actual Marriott points (a points stay), it would be useless to send it to them because in past experience if there has been a Chase side to their issue (event though in my view Marriott is MUCH more to blame than Chase since they should make their hotels use their Marriott name) they say 'sorry, talk to Chase.'

It's about 1200 pts, but with having to teach alumni college coming up and then another trip, I'm too worn out to keep trying.

ProfChiara

i think there is a time limit for reporting missing stays, so look for it.

I don't have the time.  And it's not a missing stay -- I was staying on points.  Chase has admitted it as such but the problem is the hotel does not define itself as a Marriott.  I will be gone for the better part of the next two weeks, so I'm going to have to forfeit 1200 points unless Chase and Marriott get their act together. (Which I doubt.)  This should NOT be an issue.  When a hotel becomes a Marriott, it should bill as such and patrons, let alone MRInsiders, should not have to fight for what they paid for.  Just the fact that I paid taxes to Venice for every night stayed should be proof enough of my stay, but it seems they can't get beyond the point that the Autograph Boscolo Venezia insists on billing itself as the Grand Hotel dei Dogi. It was nice, but you can be absolutely sure that next year I'll back at the Metropole or Sant' Elena.  I don't care if I miss out on points (though I would not at the Sant' Elena as a BW), but I want to stay at a very nice reasonably priced hotels that rewards me (in whatever sense) for staying there. Last year, though I booked through expedia and got a ridiculously low rate in June at the Metropole (right at San Zaccaria near San Marco), I was greeted like their best customer and got a fabulous suite.  Should Marriott do less?  And should Marriott put me through these hoops to get points?  That's why I'm using my Delta card and staying at other hotels.

You should ask Andy (Community Manager) for assistance on how to proceed here.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Hi profchiara, I don't immediately have an explanation for you but I am looking into this for you.

Dear Andy,

I just posted a second (Hotel Name Problems Part II) that really upset me, so I'll let you read that one.

Thanks, Larissa

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...