3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2012 5:43 PM by pluto77 RSS

Question about Marriott Reward Program

nikichiu Member
Currently Being Moderated

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a student currently pursuing my degree in Liverpool John Moores University in the UK, taking BA (Hons) Tourism, Leisure and Hospitality. I wonder if you could spare a few minutes to answer the three short questions below? The purpose of this email interview is to understand how Marriott is able to manage brand loyalty among all the hotels.

1. What makes the Marriott reward program distinctive compare with their competitors?

2. Apart from the reward program offered, what else will Marriott do in order to retain new customers?

3. The Marriott Reward Scheme offers loyal customers a lifetime reward when they stay in Marriott with a minimum of 600 nights stay over 12 years. What makes you think that customers will come back and stay in Marriott for the next 12 years just to get the reward?

The reason Marriott was the chosen hotel is because Marriott Hotel is the world renowned hotel's chain possessed with a very good reputation. My research will find out more information about how Marriott Rewards program works in Marriott International, Inc. With your experience that you possessed in the hotel industry, it is a very good opportunity for me to send this questionnaire to you, as your experience will definitely help in the survey of my research.

Your answers will help me in my research methodology process. The answers will be collected and used as my primary data.

Thank you in advance for your kind cooperation. I will look forward for your reply.

Yours sincerely

Siew Kee

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Question about Marriott Reward Program
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Dear nikichiu,

Thank you for your post, and welcome to Marriott Rewards Insiders.  Marriott Rewards Insiders is a forum website for Marriott Rewards members to collaborate about their Marriott hotel and overall travel experiences and plans, as well as collaborate and ask questions of one another regarding the Marriott Rewards program.  If you click on some of the 'Discussions' posted here, you will get a better idea of what the website is all about.  There is a team of Marriott employees who facilitate and manage this forum, but primarily, this forum is basically comprised of Marriott loyalty customers who come here to collaborate and find answers with/from one another.

I am wondering if your question is meant to be directed towards any Marriott Rewards members (and as such, Marriott customers) here on this site, or if your inquiries are directed towards Marriott employees?  If you are wanting information from Marriott employees within the Marriott Rewards branch of the corporation, I'm not sure that this forum is where you will receive the information that you are looking for.

Please let us know to whom you are directing your questions, the Marriott loyalty customer or the Marriott employee, so we may know how to better answer your inquiries.

Thanks so much, and again, welcome to Insiders.

Pluto77

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nikichiu Member 25 Reviews

Hi, Pluto77,

Basically, my question is for Marriott employee but I know it is quite hard to looking for the feedback. Anyway, Insiders is the best forum that discussing about Marriott Reward Program, then I would like to seek my answer among Marriott loyalty customer for question one and three. Hope any Marriott loyalty customer will just provide me their thought.

Many thanks.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi nikichiu,

Certainly.  Regarding your first question, I am woefully unable to provide you with any insightful answer, as I have not fully familiarized myself with nor ever tried any other hotel loyalty programs.  The Marriott brand has long time been a family favorite, and loyalty has sort of been passed down from generation to generation.  We are very happy with the Marriott brand, and simply take advantage of the rewards program that it offers without concern for what else is out there.  I suppose that is a bit ignorant, but there it is.

The answer to your third question is easy.

First of all, regardless of the elite levels within the Marriott Rewards program, MR members earn points for Marriott spends.  These points are the program's main currency, which allows members to earn free stays (among other things) with Marriott (and Marriott business partners,) much the same as an airline mileage program.  Stay enough times (fly enough times), and you earn enough points (miles) to get a free hotel stay (or free round trip airfare).  So regardless of whether or not a member achieves lifetime status, they'll still continue earn points for their ongoing loyalty, which add up to free hotel stays.  Lifetime status or not, it still pays to be loyal to one brand.

Additional currency comes in to play in the form of elite status.  Where elite status is concerned, the member is afforded valuable benefits for achieving elite status, silver, gold, platinum, platinum premiere and lifetime platinum:  free room upgrades, free breakfasts, free Concierge Lounge privileges, discounted (sometimes deeply) room prices, free internet, reservation guarantees, and free arrival and welcome gifts.  The highest elite status, Platinum or Platinum Premiere, requires an annual minimum amount of nights stayed of 75 nights.  Generally, this is achieved by the business traveler, and this status is afforded the highest of the benefits that I've described above.

Where the Lifetime benefit comes into play generally, is when business travel comes to an end (end of career, career change, etc.) or travel in general eventually becomes less for a person (perhaps frequent business travel is replaced by less frequent liesure travel, for example.)  Without the ability to continue earning Platinum status annually, staying fewer nights/year might very well knock a member down to Gold or Silver status, or less, where they would lose the valuable Platinum benefits that they have become accustomed to.  This is where the Lifetime benefit earned is so valuable.  The rewards member who has achieved the lifetime Platinum benefit, will forever retain all of the benefits of being a Platinum elite member, but without having to maintain the minimum required stays.  This benefit is lifetime, and I'm not sure that you understand that by virtue of your question, "What makes you think that customers will come back and stay in Marriott for the next 12 years just to get the reward?" They continue their loyalty as Lifetime status members because they receive the elite benefits described above without having to continue to earn them.

I hope this provides you with some of the insight you are looking for, and I hope others will chime in with additional insights as well.  Feel free to ask as many questions as you wish.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...