48 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2012 9:04 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Marriott Airport Transportation Variations

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I usually use the Newark Airport FS Marriott as they are the only property with a bus that picks up and drops off at the airport. The rest of the Marriotts, and other hotel chains pick up and drop off at the tram station P4. With early morning flites, its a big time saver to be dropped off at the terminal. Also if you have alot of bags, oversized bags, etc, it really helpful.

Last night, the hotel was sold out, so when I had to rebook at the last minute there was not availability, and they told me the platinum guarantee only works at a minimum of 48 hours in advance.  So I thought I would try the CY, as other MI recommend this property for leaving a car, so I thought I would try it out for future trips when I might want to leave a car.

Since I was already at the terminal when my flite was rebooked, I had to get on the tram and go to station P4. After sitting there for quite sometime, and seeing the FS bus come by 4 times, the FI bus twice, and the CY Elizabeth twice, I finally called the property and asked where the bus was.  They told me it was every 30 minutes.  Either I was out there more than 30 minutes, the other property buses are more often than 30 minutes, for the CY EWR was much later than 30 minutes, or maybe a little of each.

What really surprised me when I got to the property, is that it is right next door to the FI, yet when I asked if I could use that bus I was old NO!

Now I know that the CY,FI and SHS are right next to each other, and I can any of these buses and walk!

Why do all the Marriott brands have their own buses?  Why not share the buses, and have more frequent service?  Isn't this inefficient for both the hotel and the guests?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Airport Transportation Variations
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

no question it would be more efficient, but as a frequent user of these vans, I want to oard the van and immediately head to the airport.  I do not want to make several stops along the way.  just saying'......

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

you can literally see all three hotels, with a common parking lot.  This isn't like supershuttle where you stop at a bunch of hotels.  I sat out there for a long time waiting for a van.  Had I known I would have riddent the van from one of the other properties and walked across the parking lot

p.s. same thing in MI, two properties with adjoining parking lots, and a third and fourth around the corner that you need to go buy to get to the airport.

I would prefer the frequency that could be provided via sharing instead of waiting 30+ minutes for a van, of which 3 go to a tram station so you still need to ride a tram, and the 4th goes directly to the terminal, not mention some consistency.  Especially if my platinum override is now 48 hours.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

When I plan to use a van provided by the hotel, I always ask the routing and the time frame for the trip. If they tell me it makes a 'few' stops, I ask specifically where the stops are and where the location I am in falls in the stop order. I have, on more than one occasion, found a bus to be full and the driver does no more than pull in and say the next bus is right behind him as they are full, but of course, that next bus isn't behind him. More often, the same bus gets you 30 or more minutes later. Doesn't work for me.

After I gather the info, I decide my best choice for an airport trip......and sometimes it's not with the hotel shuttle.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

tef

agreed.  I believe business travelers may have a stronger opinion on this subject than non-business travelers.

I have traveled as both a frequent business traveler and a leisure traveler. In both situations I would prefer not to wait 30 minutes for a dedicated bus, especially when its hot, there is not place to sit, and I have alot of luggage.  if I could have one that runs every 15 minutes, but stops at a couple of other properties, often sharing the same parking lot.  Matter of fact, I could even walk across the parking lot.

Thanx Tef, Excellent advice!  I will try to remember this.  Usually I plan everything in advance, but the flite reschedule sent me scurrying to replan at the last minute.  Must admit I was hot and tired, and just not thinking straight at the time.  But now I know if the FS is booked I can use CY, FI or SHS and use any of the buses.

Just need to remember not the CY Elisabeth.  Saw the CY, and almost ended up in Elizabeth

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Many airports encourage sharing.  At LAX, the shuttles are not hotel operated any more.  The shuttle may stop at 2 hotels on way in either direction and the hotel has no control of the schedule.  People wait 45 min and longer at times.  The hotel can't call and hurry them.  I think this is to cut traffic.  It is no longer practical to stay at the airport the night before except for high traffic times.  To me, the shuttle should run every 10 - 15 min, 20 at the most.

I think sharing works to the benefit of all, both guest and hotel.  We get more options, they hopefully can economize

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

At LAX, I've now used the long-term, covered valet parking at the Hilton (would use LAX Marriott's park n' fly, but it hasn't worked with my schedule thus far.), and I absolutely love it!  So far, I haven't had to wait more than maybe 15-20 minutes for the shuttle, and it goes directly to the airport terminals and back.  Might have to stop at a couple of terminals, depending on who I am riding the shuttle with, but I've never been on the shuttle when it stopped at another hotel.  Of course the Hilton is not even a quarter mile from the terminal entrance, and about the only other hotels standing between it and the terminal is the Marriott and the CY.  As a loyalty customer, I don't mind parking at the Hilton vs. the Marriott, as the parking programs at both of these properties (just parking only, no hotel stay, which is not to be confused with 'park n' fly') does not earn reward points; it's a totally different vendor partnering with the hotels.

The parking shuttles seem to run more frequently than hotel shuttles.  Was talking to the Marriott driver who said they do this cause they can, and they have lower overheads.

anyways, I just about always take the train to the airport, NJ traffice being what it is.

Lucked out on a train, and got the airport express with no stops until we got to the airport.

Actually this was the Hilton shuttle.  It shuttled not only patrons of Hilton's parking garage, but also Hilton guests.  Looking again at the title of the blog, I see that I have digressed from the original topic.  Sorry.

It does seem to be different by location.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I never drive for business.  As long as the company is paying for a limo service, that's how I am going!

that is what I did when on business travel.  Now I am on my own dime. I prefer the train, even if it costs a bit more, for the convenience.

i can understand that.  when i travel for leisure than I usually park at Vista Parking.  $10 a day, and during the winter, the car is cleaned off of any snow and all warmed up when they shuttle you in.  Plus the parking lot is gated and barb wired. 

will try to remember that lot, if I ever end up driving.  Actually DTW was worse than EWR, I think cause NJ has alot more options for mass transit.  DTW you definately need to drive and park at the airport.  Also parking is alot less.  You can park offsite for a couple of bucks a day.  For what you pay east coast, you can have a the valet parking service.

The Parking shuttles alos have more buses and drivers.  Usually the hotel only employs one drive for each shift.

I was having a hard time seeing around the parking lot buses to see if my hotel bus was there.  It was not unusual for each parking lot to have 3-4 buses just sitting curbside, and there 5-10 different lots, so that is a lot of buses

Thanks.  I will consider the Hilton next time.  What I do get when I park at the Marriott is 5 pts/$ when I use my Marriott CC.  I tried the Westin and paid for indoor parking and my car was really dirty as though it wazs parked outside so I won't park there again.

points always work for me:=)

Californian, really?  You get the 5 pts/dollar when you use the parking at Marriott?  This is what I couldn't figure out last trip.

I'll tell you a really dumb, super moronic story.  Last month, I had to park my car at LAX for 19 days.  I had previously done long term valet parking through the Hilton, as I've described, but really wanted to find a way to parlay some Marriott points out of the deal this time.  For the long term parking, I go through one of those Googled websites, like airport-la.com or cheapairportparking.org/LAX, etc. (can't remember which one I use), and they list a number of places where you can park at varying prices, and Marriott and Hilton are on their list, then you pick your place, and make the reservation, etc.  You generally have to pay for one day up front/online, and then they tell you, 'Be sure you print your reservation and bring the paper with you, to guarantee your online price."  This is how I've done the Hilton in the past.  So this time I made the reservation for the Marriott (through the third party non-Marriott parking website), but couldn't figure out if I would get the 5 points/$ (credit card) by parking at the Marriott or not.  At the time, the LAX Marriott had a 'Park N' Fly' deal where you could stay one night for some ridiculous low price of $159 and get 7 days free parking, but alas, I needed 19 days.  I called the hotel and engaged someone in discussion about how much it would cost for the remaining 12 days, and she told me it would be their regular daily rate of $35 or something similarly outrageous (through the hotel, not the parking broker), can't exactly remember.  For sure I would have received all points possible, but the deal just didn't work for me.  I asked her if I would receive the points on my credit card for just doing the long term parking through their partnered vendor, and she did not know.  Long story short, I made the parking reservation for the Marriott through the third party website, dropped my car off at the designated time and was shuttled to the terminal.  Upon my return, hopped on the shuttle back to the hotel.  Easy breezy, so far.  I told the vendor that I didn't have my reservation page, as it was in my luggage which was delayed.  She said, "That's okay, if you have a smart phone, you can show me the email confirmation for the $11/day rate, otherwise I have to charge you the going rate of $18/day."  Relieved, I got out my phone, found the email and showed it to her.  She said, "Ma'am, I'm very sorry, but this reservation is for the Marriott.  You are at the Hilton."  Stunned, I realized that without thinking (or else actually WAY too much on my mind) I had actually dropped my car off at the Hilton (habit?), and returned to the Hilton.  The girl was at least kind and apologized to me, but of course I had only myself to blame, and the faux pas was very typical of things that occurred on this particular trip.  Not only did it cost me $335 instead of $205 to get my car out of hock, but I'll never know if I would have gotten some Marriott credit card points for engaging at the Marriott.  I can hardly believe I am admitting all of this.  Pretty sure I'll never make this same mistake twice though.

I have some of those stories too but will not go through them here.  I have parked at the Marriott on stay and fly and they charge something like $11 per extra days.  I parked with cheap airport parking and pay them the first day, no pts, but when I pick my car up the rest is a Marriott charge and I get 5 pts/$ on rest.

Okay, well that's very good to know.  Thanks for the info.  I did get the feeling that the Marriott hotel staffer that I spoke with on the phone was unfamiliar/unknowledgeable about the subject matter, and so I just let it go and considered it a dead end.

They usually don't know about those charges.  It is written in your reservation about charges for extra days.  I have used cheap airport parking for extra days beginning after the package ends and that works too and is still cheaper, usually.  Keep in mind you have to deal with the irregular shuttle that stops at other hotels.  IF I have time, I may write a letter to complain since this has been the reason that  I have not stayede as much as I would.

Californian, that's exactly what I wanted to do: the 7 day park n' fly, then switch over to the cheap airport parking for the extra days, but I couldn't figure out how to do that.  Don't you have to be there to check out on the 7th day?  How then would you keep the hotel from charging you their rate for the extra days, on top of the cheap airport parking for the extra days, thus being double charged.  How did you manage to coordinate it all together, being that when the switch over takes place (from hotel charged parking to cheap airport parking), you're not  there to complete one transaction and begin the next transaction?  I would really like to know how you coordinate this, as this is exactly what I wanted (and in the future still want) to do.  I'd like to successfully try it at least once.  If the shuttle situation is unacceptable, I can always go back to Hilton.

Thanks.

Pluto,

Make your horel reservation for the package.  This gives you the night you stay at the airport and 7 more nights of parking.  Make CheapAirportParking starting when the other ends till you return.  Print both reservations.  Take your trip.  Upon returning, take both printouts to the pay both and that is it.  You may have to explain that the first 8 nights were on the hotel package and already paid for and you are paying for the rest at CAP print out.  I only did it once to date but it was smooth.

Are you saying that Marriott is using one of the cheap pay lots?  And if so do you need to know which in advance?  Do they tell you?

They will tell you if you ask.  It is the same parking area only you pay different prices depending on who you book with.

Thanx for the tip.  Maybe I will have to try out the park & stay rate on a short trip, so I am familiar with the logistics when I want to use them on a longer trip

Usually the best price on stay and park is on weekends. 
                            I price the room and package separately and then price parking, sometimes it is less to book the room and parking separately and sometimes not.

great idea for a weekend once things cool off a bit here.

EWR FS has a package that includes parking and train tickets into the city.  Will be a nice outing in the fall.

Thanks, Californian.  Very helpful.

Do you know if this also works for the EWR Marriott Park & Fly program, e.g. is it due to the Marriott deal, or is it due to the local parking lot deals?

eventually, since we all travel alot, we will mix something up.

Lately my faux pax has been leaving my printed material behind.

Luckily I have emailed it all to my personal email, and can access via my nook when there is WiFi, and pull it all up.

Interesting story to read.  As the adage says, "we learn from our mistakes"!

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

I may be thinking of another set of properties and airport (they all tend to blend together anymore), but as I recall, I thought that those did used to be a "combo" shuttle, for at least two if not all three of the properties.  You're dead on, though, having to go to the AirTrain P4 station is really annoying.  I always seem to have the Shuttle That Never Shows, whether it's Hertz, Marriott (the one for the SeaTac airport Marriott comes to mind), or anything else.  And like you, I've seen several of other shuttles come by repeatedly before mine deigns to pick me up.

That may be one of the reasons I really like to be at an on-airport property: Marriott EWR, Marriott IAH, Marriott PHL, Hilton BOS, Sheraton BDL, Westin DTW, and some others. Nothing beats being able to have a brief walk/tram to the terminal for that 6am flight. Speaking of the Westin, I haven't been there since the NW/DL merger, but that was the best for convenience.  Having a "private" security checkpoint was SO nice!

Nothing like on airport.  I never experienced a private security but must be nice.

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

It's a regular TSA checkpoint, it's just for hotel guests, though. Still, it's rare to have more than one or two people in front of you.  Sort of like the "secret" checkpoints I knew about, before all these travel websites let the cat out of the bag!

If there is a hotel in the airport terminal, there is usually a small security checkpoint allegedly for hotel guests, but they have always let me through.  Only problem is that they are not open as early nor do they stay open late.

Interestingly enough for my 6 a.m. flite that I got up extra early for cuase I thought I would need to go to P4 and take the tram to Terminal A, but instead the bus dropped me at the airport terminal.  I don't know if it was because it was so early, or I had made such a fuss about not being at the FS, and waiting so long for the bus. 

In Miami al the properties have their own shuttle buses.  But where I have stayed, the Marriott and the Marriott CY are right next to each other and do share the same Shuttle Bus.  I have seen people get on thses shuttles thinking that it's going to stop at all diffrerent Marriott locations.  I suggested to the Marriott manager that all drivers ask people which Marriott they are heading to, to avoid confusion.  They took my sugestion, and now whenever I board one of these shuttle buses they ask each passenger which Marriott location they are going to.  Nice to see that my suggestion was taken!

great suggestion!

goestoeleven Gold

I agree with the on-site airport hotels comment.  Saves alot of time and hassle, when you need it the most.  The Chicago Marriott- Airport is a loose use of the term.  You have to walk past the Hilton to get to the Shuttle.  Then, it's the second stop for the shuttle after the Marriott Suites... and not merely minutes away.  Hopefully, the renovation is done for the greatly needed upgrades.  I currently book at the Chicago Hilton Airport  -- one of the two main travel areas of mine where Hilton gets the first nod.

As for hotel travel shuttles, combined hotel shuttles is driven by hotel ownership, not hotel brand.  So, in the case of the adjoining Marriott branded hotels with separate shuttles, they likely had different ownership.  I took a shuttle somewhere this year that made stops at the DoubleTree and then the Marriott  ... I confirmed that the ownership was the same.

Thanks for the reminder on the "Park and Fly" option.  We can use that for our trip out to the Grand Tetons in a few weeks.  Unfortunately, no Marriott product at all in Jackson, WY. Pity.

my $.02,

I went to Jancson Hole 2 years ago and no Marriott.  I stayed at the Homewood Suites and it was nice.  I am going back thisz year and will be staying at the Hampton Inn.  Both Hiltons which you mentioned for your stay.

Marriott could have had my money if they had a resort there.  I also like Sedona and no Marriotts.  I stay at the Hyatt there.

Enjoy your tripj!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...