36 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2013 7:41 PM by californian RSS

Any recent experiences with Platinum Override?

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just had a bad travel wekend, where my flite was rebooked, so I had to cancel my hotel in MI, and book in NJ.  The airport FS Marriott, that I like so much was sold out, and I was told that platinum override only applies 48 hours in advance.

I don't remember having to use this 48 hours in advance, but I haven't used it in years, and then it was at properties that were constantly booked, and I never knew till day of arrival if I made it out the list of platinum's in queue to get a room or not.  Most times I did, though sometimes it was a very interesting room, like a conference room with a fold out couch.

Any recent experiences?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Any recent experiences with Platinum Override?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I have never had any issue with this, but it makes sense that the 48 hour rule is in effect.  this presumably keeps the hotel from having to disappoint someone with a reservation upon arrival. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Exactly. 

mijoh1 Platinum

I just used it a couple weeks ago at the Long Island Marriott, but they only gave me 3 out of the 5 nights I requested and it was outside the 48 hour window. They told me that the hotel was completely sold out, I would have to check out after the 3 days, and that I was basically out of luck. I found that rather shocking, especially since I'm platinum premier also. It turns out that if a property is "completely" sold out, the platinum override is worthless. I find that odd because I thought that the properties set aside a few rooms for us in case we need them. Guess not.

once you are in a hotel, they can't make you leave.

Have actually had problems getting my room because others did not check out as scheduled, and was told on several occassions there was nothing they could do about it.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

It is true that they can't make you leave but they can charge a penality and no telling what rate.

usually another night?

No idea but one time I was waiting for a room and the people would not leave, I was assured that they would be paying a large fine.  Nice since Marriott got it and I was without a room.  They did leave really late and I had a really late check in and I got nothing.

I would assume that if they stayed another night they would be charged rack rate, as well as the fine, not what they wre paying.  But who knows?

The fine only applies if you are actually leaving, but leaving late, and its usually 1/2 the room rate.  A couple of times when I needed to stay later than the latest of the late checkouts, but not all night, they offered me this option.

If you just stay on past your original reservation, you are charged the room rate.

If you are on a discounted rate, they do not need to extend that rate for you, and can charge rack rate.

Good to know.  When I was waiting the people left at 5pm and then the room had to be cleaned.  I got in really late.  This happened to a friend of mine who had a 6 mo pregnant wife and a 5 year old.  They waited till really late and no comp.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

mijoh1,

Did you bring up the guranantee as per the current website, along with the guaranteed compensation?  This applies to Platinum only, so in your case that guarantee applies.  Look at the current guarantee at this link and then call customer service and see if you can get it ironed out.

Marriott® Elite Member Benefits and Guarantees

I suspect that there was a time when they saved a few rooms for us and VIPs.  I think that now they book every room.  The PO is not as valuable and as mentioned before, we must pay rack rate.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Hmmm...I've never used the Platinum override before but didn't know they had a queue for those who use it! If that's the case, then you don't really know if you get into the hotel or not? If not, what's the point of the override rule?

tef

I don't really understand your post.  Using the 48 hour override, you are told immediately if your reservation is confirmed or not.  what is your point?

my point is I had a last minute fly reschedule so I could not leave Fri nite as I expected and needed to sty overnite at EWR and leave Sat instead.

So I called to cancel my reservation at my destination, and tried to book something at EWR where I was stuck.

I usually use the FS property, as it has the best shuttle service, and great room service, but they were booked.

Since it was less than 48 hr, they told me that I could not use my platinum override.

I thoguht I remember that I use to be able to use my override and there was no limitations.  They put you into a queue for cancelations, and told you were you stood in the queue, e.g. how many in front of you.

Friday they just said pick another hotel, and I did, the CY, so I had to take the tram to P4 station [only FS picks up at ap terminals], and than I sat forever in the heat waiting for the bus.  I watched the FS bus go by 4 times, the FI bus 2 times, the CY Elizabeth 2 times..  I called the hotel and they said every 30 minutes,but it must have been much longer than that.given the number of buses from other propertes that went by

When I got to the hotel, it was across the parking lot from the FI and SHS, so I could have used those buses, and will next time, cause I certainly can walk across the parking lot.

It took me hours to get from the AP to the hotel on a very hot day

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I've used the 48 hour Platinum override before.  I was told it was necessary due to a special event, but even still was offered a room at the special event rate, $399/night.  I declined and found a FFI a couple of miles away for substantially less.  Oh, the event was the annual gathering of Berkshire Hathaway shareholders hosted by Warren Buffet in Omaha. 

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Shoeman:

My post came from the original post that said they 'never knew until the day of arrival if they made it out of the list of Platinums in queue to get a room or not' which, since I have never used the override sounded to me that there is a queue for room override. Since you clarified that you are immediately told, then that's the answer to the queue question.

My point would be that if there was a queue, and no confirmation when the request was made, then the override might not be very good because you might not have a room. Thanks for the clarification. Now I know.

Shoeman, the issue I raised was whether the Platinum Guarantee has changed since I do not remember any previous requirement that this be 48 hr in advance.  The 48 hr requirement, seems to be new since the last time I used this benefit.  I was wondering if anyone else remembers the platinum guarantee as not requiring 48 hr notice.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Gem,

I do remember reading about the 48 hour requirement, under the T & C quite a while back.  I don't know if it was not there prior to that, but it seems like at least a year or more ago, that I read it in there.

it's been a requirement for a looooooooooooong time.

Husker is correct.  It has been that way for a long time.  I did however find an interesting way to get a room when no rooms were available.  this week I had forgotten to book a room for a one nite stay at the Marriott Columbus Airport.  Both online, and the platinum desk revealed a sold-out position at the property.  I started playing around with an online reservation, finding a room available for a future date.  I then changed the date to the one I needed and for some reason, a suite appeared as available.  It was a much higher rate than I would prefer to pay, but it was a room.  I booked it, then explained when i checked in that this was a crazy rate.  The person at the front desk immediately revised the rate to my normal one and allowed me to stay in the suite.  SWEET!!!

I have always known it ot be 48 hours but didn't know about a queue.  I have not had good luck with trying to use it.  I was looking almost a year out and the hotel was full.  I called PR and was told the same thing.  I asked about the Platinum override and was told that it was not available and I could call CS and they might be able to do something for me.  There was another Marriott in the area and I boolked that one.  This has happened more than once.  I am wondering if there really is an PO as I thought it was.  I have that on AA as well but have never used it so don't know if it is any better.

I haven't used the PO in years.  One of the downsides of PO is that you pay full rack rates which can be pricy, so I mainly used it for business. I learned about the queues the year I spent working in Indianapolis as there was only 1 FS property it was always booked. They had a queue, and you waited in it with all the other platinums.  Each week I would find out where I stood for the next week. Am glad to hear they built more Marriott properties there.  According to the hotel, they get lots of business being in the center of the country they are often picked for conferences so that the travel is fairly equal distance for all parties. Must be all the non-government business, as that is usually in Orlando or Las Vegas where there is the highest number of rooms, and the lowest room rates qualifying for the government price limits.

Now there's a round-about way!

great suggestion!

Will try it next time!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

shoeman,

Great tip..I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to use that one.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

It should also be noted that in addition to the 48 hours notice in the Term & Conditions of this Platinum benefit it also states that

"Guaranteed Availability may not be available on certain limited dates (e.g., special events)."

So if you were trying to get an area that had a special event in progress you may also be out of luck.

Many give opinions and then one gives a quote that settles it.  When I tried to get a room way in advance, there may have been a special event.  Makes sense.

lsinicki Platinum 17 Reviews

I've tried to use my platinum override three times and all three times I've been told (by both the hotel and platinum customer service) that the hotel didn't have to honor it because the hotel had a special event exemption. Of course, the only times the hotels are sold out is when there are special events going on--big conventions, college parents' weekends, etc. So my feeling is that this is not a real benefit--in that it is something advertised that has so many exemptions that I will never be able to use it.

Honestly, I feel duped. We're talking parents weekend at 6,000 student college here--not Superbowl.

My feeling is that Marriott should change the language about this benefit to be more honest.

I just checked again for an upcoming trip in May.  There are 2 places that I wanted to get and they were not shown months ago and still do not show.  In the past, I was able to get into a hotel that did not show availability.  NO more.  I think the question should be, has anyone been successful with the platinum override recently?

Californian

I'm not sure I understand your post.  Were you thinking that, as a Platinum, a room would show 'available' online  as an override?  My experience  on this has been a mixed bag.  When the hotel site shows no rooms available, I call the Platinum hotline.  More often than not, I am told that a room will be made available for me, but at a rate commensurate with the sold out situation.  In other words, the rate is sky high, but I do get  a room.  Only on one occasion was I told that the override was not in effect that particular day. 

My main point to this is that, I was not sure if you realized that you needed to call to get the override.

Shoeman,

In the past, I could look online at a hotel for a date and it not show any rooms.  I would sign in and look again and it would be there.

For the upcoming trip, I looked on line and didn't show and I called and was told that the rooms were not available possibly due to a special occasion at both hotels.  This time, I just looked.  By now I have rerouted my trip and will be using some Hiltons since I can't get the Marriott's.  The point is that the platinum override is not always available.

Even if they had opened one for me, the cost, as you said, would probably be more that I would want to pay.

I have had experience with platinum override both like you described and like shoeman described.  But, in each situation I was able to get a room, or at least offered a room if I was willing to pay the special event rate.

I was told that to give us the room, they must displace someone else to a Holiday Inn, etc and at times pay then.  This is why we must pay a high price.  However, if there are no other hotels in the area to put people, they cannot sell us the rooms.

vickisocal Platinum

Jsut used it a couple of days ago for a hotel room in mid March in Baltimore. I know the PO was in effect because it did not show as avaialbe unitl I logged in. Have used this a few times every year and it has always worked.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...