14 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2008 1:39 PM by busterpuff RSS

Courtyard=Middle Child?

ticketman Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
It is awkward, the brand in the chain that advertises about being there for "Road Warriors" and yet, for Elite Members we get nada. Your elite gift? "Here is your point total", (gee I didn't know). Free breakfast? (I get breakfast at any other Marriott property). Concierge lounge? If it was billed as the place for families on the road, I would be out of line. Please don't get me wrong, I love the rest of the Brands, I am just asking that you join with me to ask that Courtyards make the effort to recognize those who have earned the road warrior stripes.
  • Re: Courtyard=Middle Child?
    lawago Platinum

You're absolutely right....the only benefit to a Platinum Elite is the water or points (which goes to all rewards members).  Speaking of that, if they don't offer one or the other at check-in and you report it, they will send you a $50. check.  I found this out when a counter clerk forgot to do so and when I came back and requested the water, she handed it to me and said "if you didn't already take the water, you could have gotten $50." (while laughing at my 'ignorance').  Guess what, I got the $50. and I think she went through some re-training on how not to treat a customer who pays for your job.

But on your topic, they could at least upgrade a Platinum Elite to one of their suites occasionally (most Courtyards have at least 2 or 3 suites - some with hot-tubs) or add at least one breakfast for each 2 or 3 night stay.   We would feel a little more special for all of the nights we spend in Marriotts.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

msptraveler Platinum
    I would have to agree!  Courtyard should be offering something more for it's best members.  Free breakfast is a small token for those who consistently stay there.  Another thing that would be nice is wireless internet.  If they are truly designed for road warriors they would know that we want to have wireless internet versus being tied to the desk with a 2ft cord.  Even the Fairfield Inn gives free breakfast and wireless internet. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

asaya1 Gold
    I have to agree with you I just spent 4 days in a very nice Courtyard however the Breakfast Fee each day was $15+ each day.  Not really enticiing when a lot of places on the same level as a Courtyard offer Comp Brkfst

brandy12 Platinum
    I agree completely with you! 

consultant Gold
    Courtyard is the no frills brand.  No fuss, No muss, just give me my key, and get out of my way.  I find them to be very economical for their location... after all, you have to pay for the "freebies" you get at the full service places.

nervous Platinum
    I agree with your request from Courtyard hotels.  I have stayed at Druy Inn's that provided a wonderful hot breakfast, snacks in the evening along with 2 free alcholic drinks. Plus, the kids had unlimited colas from 3-10pm.  The hotel was just as nice as courtyard but at a much cheaper rate.  In this day and age, mid class hotels should all offer, at the very least, free breakfast.

cupofjava Platinum
    I agree with the OP.  A cereal bar, banana or even something like Hampton's 'Breakfast to Go' would be a nice, relatively inexpensive perk.  I rarely leave time in the morning to sit down for breakfast--let alone deal with a fast food chain's drive-through, so a coupon for a breakfast bag would be perfect IMHO. Based on past experience, I choose another chain if Courtyard is the only Marriott property in town.

loyalt Silver

Consultant posted "Courtyard is the no frills brand.  No fuss, No muss, just give me my key, and get out of my way.  I find them to be very economical for their location... after all, you have to pay for the "freebies" you get at the full service places."

I could understand that if it were true.  But I stayed in New York in December and the Courtyard rates were as high or higher than the Marquis.  I used to stay at Courtyards, but not anymore.  I can get a 2 room suite with more ammenities at a Residence Inn for the same price and I get free breakfast and wireless internet.

jessica Platinum
    I have to agree with a lot of things here.  As a younger leisure traveler, I usually opt for hotels with the most amenities for the least money.  It seems that Courtyard tends to fall short at times (if/when it is the only viable option).  I usually travel with at least one more person; and not having wireless has always been an issue with Courtyard.  Even though Fairfield Inn is viewed as the budget brand, I feel that it offers a lot more as far as convenience and ease.  Free breakfast and wi-fi is almost the default at most mid-level chains (and even below), and I've always been curious as to why Courtyard never really stepped up to the plate.

puttinwedge Gold
    I agree, Hamptons are much better for the price even though Courtyards are usually in a little bit better location.  I feel Marriott is missing the beat on this one and Hamptons are taking alot of their business. 

makkberger Platinum 1 Reviews

I think Courtyard's provide the poorest value of all the Marriott brands.

I would think it is comparable to the Embassy Suites brand within the Hilton chain (comparable prices), but Embassy Suites offers a pretty nice free breakfast as well as free cocktails during their evening "manager's reception."

Like another poster, I only stay at Courtyards if it is the only Marriott brand in a town, though sometimes I'll choose a Hilton brand over it.

charprn Silver

Middle Child...that's funny but true! 

I always try and stay at everything but Courtyard for the reasons listed below. It's funny - I go to Marriott or Renaissance, I get club level. Courtyard doesn't give me that - but the tradeoff is the free internet. But I get that at Residence Inn, Springhill or Fairfield with breakfast.

jmat6687 Gold
    I also wonder why the "middle child" does not offer a free breakfast for Rewards members. Actually, they should join the Fairfields, Spring Hills, and Residences and just give the free breakfast period. I actually am quite satisfied with Fairfields, and don't consider a Courtyard as a step up because  of the no free breakfast thing. Traveling only for leisure, its wonderful to not have to leave the hotel for breakfast, and to be able to grab a tray full of stuff for the wife and I, and take it back to the room...

busterpuff Platinum

I recently looked into switching out of Marriott into Hilton, as there is a Hilton Garden Inn and Hamptons close to where I usually stay.  In addition to the "Double Dip" deal with freq. flyer pts you get with HHonors, the HGI and Hamptons are a bit nicer for someone travelling on business a few times a week.  Like Fairfields, however, Hamptons are hit-or-miss. 

At HGI, you get an in-room fridge and micro - and a SelectComfort bed.  Also, you get free breakfast as a Silver member.

However, I'm finding it hard to abandon the Platinum bonuses, and the travel pkgs you can get with Rewards pts.

If Courtyard were to step up with free breakfast or other niceties for business folks, I would close the door on the possibilites of jumping ship, and stick with Marriott.  The benefits to my happiness while traveling would make it worth it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...