6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2012 4:12 PM by NathalieF RSS

Marriott Rewards redemption with 2 kids

krusty Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

we´re planning a trip to Rome with our kids (6 & 9 years old), but can´t find anywhere to indicate that we are a party of "2+2" when scanning Marriott.com for possible properties. If I enter "4 persons" I get an error message saying that this is not possible.

So I have the following questions:

1. If our search returns a 5 night stay at Rome Marriott Park Hotel for 100.000 points, can we stay 2 adults + 2 kids for this amount (We can make do with a king + a rollaway bed...), or will additional charges apply?

2. Will my Gold Elite status mean anything when redeeming bonus nights? Like room upgrade/breakfast/lounge access?

3. Is breakfast for my family and myself included in the redemption amounts shown on marriott.com?

Your prompt reply would be highly appreciated, as our planned stay would be this coming week...

Regards,

Richard

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Rewards redemption with 2 kids
    sg1974 Gold

On the particular hotel that you have mentioned 'Rome Marriott Park Hotel' on the website it says that rollaways are not permitted in the deluxe guest room. Rollaway is permitted in executive lounge guest room though.

As for additional charges for the rollaway this will depend on the hotel, the policies vary.

It is best to contact the hotel and ask them how you can arrange to stay in the room with 2 adults and 2 children.

My wife contacted the JW Marriott in Rio when we used points and they organised a rollaway bed in a room which it said did not permit them.

I would assume being a gold member you would have access to executive lounge, if no lounge then breakfast should be provided everyday in Europe.

I'm sure there are plenty of other more experienced travellers than I that can clarify this point though.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

This looks like a good question for ProfChiara and pluto77

One thing I have heard about quite a few European hotels is the small room size. Most US hotels I stay in can accomodate two small kids without a problem. They may have an issue in Rome...I hope not, good luck.

sg1974 Gold

Yes you are right, the room sizes throughout Europe are smaller.

The majority of the rooms we come across in the UK and on the continent are either 1 King bed or 2 twin single beds.

In the US that would generally be 2 double beds therefore able to accommodate 4 guests.

You do need to look into the room configurations more when you are travelling in Europe.

I find the booking.com website is good with the hotel policy descriptions (generally better than the hotels own website). I like to double check this to ensure no problems when checking in.

For the hotel in Rome this is what the website says about the policies:

Children and extra beds 

Free! One child under 4 years stays free of charge when using existing beds.

Free! One child under 3 years stays free of charge in a baby cot.

Maximum capacity of babycots in a room is 1.

There is no capacity for extra beds in the room.

Any type of extra bed or baby cot is upon request and needs to be confirmed by the hotel.

I have always booked our hotels in the UK & Europe as 2 guests and never had a problem with our young daughter. She will either share the bed with us or sleep on a rollaway bed if it fits and there is no additional charge.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Krusty,

I don't know if I can answer all of your questions, but I'll tell you what I know from my own experience.  It is true that the standard rooms in Europe are small, and they often do not allow 4 persons in a room, unless you book a larger room or suite (which may or may not be available).  This is why when you put in 4 persons, it comes back and tells you no rooms available.  In Paris, we were recently a party of 3 adults, 2 very small children (age 9 mos and 2 yrs).  I made a reservation for a larger room for 3 persons.  It had a king, a sofabed, and we asked for a portacrib.  When we arrived at the hotel, they said we thought you were a party of three, and even though the children were quite small, they almost didn't give us the room, stating safety concerns.  As it turns out, we ended up reserving a second room the next morning, as when we got to the original room, it became apparent in short order that we would be too cramped (the room, while having fabulous amenities and a view, was indeed not as large as I had anticipated).  And thankfully the hotel wasn't booked solid.  The following week at the Grand Flora in Rome, we were given a beautiful suite, with a large front living rom (and sofa bed), and a large bedroom with a king bed.  That suite could easily accomodate 4 adults in my opinion, yet the hotel would only rent it to parties of 3 or less.  sg1974's experiences seem to mirror mine.  Sg only has one child though, whereas you have the two.

This is how it is in Europe generally, I think, although as in my examples, it can vary from hotel to hotel, room to room, and your best bet is to contact the hotel directly (they mostly speak English).  I know the phone call may be expensive, but worth it for your peace of mind and no surprises when you arrive.

As far as your Gold status, yes, you can expect free breakfast daily for all (in Europe they honor free breakfasts on the weekends, where as in the States, not so much), and they should try to accomodate a room upgrade for you if possible, and if they don't bring it up, certainly ask about it, although here again, it's peak travel/vacation season, occupancies are high, so best to hope for the best and understand if they can't accomodate the upgrade.  That's my limited take on the upgrade, although I know there are way more experienced/frequent travelers - platinum premieres and lifetimes who would undoubtedly beg to differ, telling you that you should be entitled to one, and in fact guaranteed.  My understanding is that Marriott doesn't guarantee the upgrade.  Well, I don't want to start anything (please! ).

Sorry for the delay responding, and I hope you have a wonderful trip.  Hope to hear all about it upon your return!

sg1974 Gold

Yes I agree the best approach is to contact the hotel directly if you are unsure.

In the UK it tends to be easier than on the continent as most of the properties we have stayed in will allow 2 adults and 2 children under 12 years in the same room.

We stayed at the Rennaissance in Amsterdam this year and I was a little worried they may not let the 3 of us stay in the room. But luckily there was no problem, there was not enough room for a rollaway bed though.
      It is far easier booking up hotels in the US when you have kids!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings krusty

Call and speak to reservations regarding the capacity for each individual room type, keeping in mind that the hotel will probably only have a couple of different room types available using points. They'll also be able to advise you of any charges associated with additional beds.

As a Gold Elite member, you will be eligible for an upgrade based upon availability. You will have access to the concierge lounge although that benefit is technically for members and a guest so it would be up to the property if they wanted to extend the access beyond the member.

Happy travels and hope that helps

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...