14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2012 8:19 AM by kroywen RSS

Gold upgrade teaser - sorry but bait and switch - "stays" vs nights

tt_ttf Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I was recently offered the Gold April to June upgrade but what I missed in the fine print is that it was "stays" not nights that counted

So I am sure that I am not alone in missing that or that despite doing 11 nights over 4 stays and spending more than someone who did 6x1 night "stays" not getting the upgrade extended into next year which is kind of a big deal.

I could have easily gamed the system by making separate bookings for each night!

Come on Marriott - you normally measure in nights towards upgrades.....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Gold upgrade teaser - sorry but bait and switch - "stays" vs nights
    allleisure Platinum

Except that your separate bookings for each night needed to be at different properties. The rule on "stays" is very explicit in this regard. I have stayed at properties that were near each other in order to meet the number of stay requirements in the past (though not with Marriott),

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Not sure what the issue is here. The 'Gold Challenge' is a program where you ask Marriott to upgrade your status to Gold (and they grant someone Gold status without question including the perks for a 90 day period for free) and you get to keep that status through the next year if you make 12 stays during that 90 day period. It's a pretty nice thank you for only staying 12 nights at different properties.....and, yes, it can be 12 different bookings at 12 different properties and, bingo, you have Gold status for a year for those 12 nights.

Since you only stayed 11 nights at Marriott properties during the 90 day trial, it wouldn't qualify to keep the status anyway......whether they were individual and different hotel bookings or 11 nights over 4 stays as posted. I don't see the 'bait and switch' here. They gave, you didn't meet the qualification....end of story.

tt_ttf Gold

Except this was an offer from them not by my request and required only 6 "stays"....

I was commenting on the way it was worded - here it is exactly "Stay with us 6 times between April 1 and June 30, 2012, and you'll maintain Gold status through February 2014."

Nothing in that sentance flagging that you should scroll all the way down to the bottom and dig out the one fine print line in the footer and understand that stay does not equate to nights.....   whilst cavet emptor I still think that sucks

So I could have choosen to stay 6 times in the cheapest places paying only for 6 nights vs spending a WHOLE lot more in expensive cities like boston and baltimore and twice as many nights but only 4 "stays"

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Both the hotel and cruise line loyalty programs make use of these differently, so its always good to clarify.

Just recently I came across a tour operator [Hop On - Hop Off] that also made a similiar distinction, e.g. their daily pass is not the same thing as the 24 hr pass.  Daily pass is good for the remainder of the day, while the 24 hr pass is good from the point of purchase to 24 hr from them.

Always pays to clarify by having them explain in their own words [more than just a yes/no response].

tt_ttf Gold

Again as I said,

I was commenting on the way it was worded - here it is exactly "Stay with us 6 times between April 1 and June 30, 2012, and you'll maintain Gold status through February 2014."

Nothing in that sentance flagging that you should scroll all the way down to the bottom and dig out the one fine print line in the footer and understand that stay does not equate to nights.....   whilst cavet emptor I still think that sucks

So I could have choosen to stay 6 times in the cheapest places paying only for 6 nights vs spending a WHOLE lot more in expensive cities like boston and baltimore and twice as many nights but only 4 "stays"

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I agree that not only Marriott, but every business, should be required to spell out in the body of the offer what the conditions of the offer are and not bury the detail in fine print somewhere else. But, and unfortunately, I too have learned over time that one must read everything. Last time I bought something with a 'contract' I read every page and every word they put in front of me because they didn't send it to me prior to the signing. Boy, were they peeved!

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

I also "learned the hard way"  that a stay and a night are two distinct & separate entities.      However, I still consider any of these stay offers to be a Bonus.....and if I make it, great, if not, still okay.     I will not suffer the inconvenience of checking in and out of different hotels to make the bonus. I would rather stay the 2-3-4-5 nights and use the time saved. 

What I will do now  is choose Marriott brands over Hilton or Westin in the same location.      I'm still new with Marriott Rewards (having switched allegiance in 2011) and am "only gold".     I wonder what it will be like to be Platinum as the service I've been receiving so far is excellent,     Right now I'm happy to be maintaining gold as my traveling days have decreased substantially.

mortgagephil Platinum 4 Reviews

Im Plat.  Sometimes great and sometimes not - as you'd find with any company or product because we are all human and it is virtually impossible to track it.  Don't judge a location or a property, per se, to deliver a higher standard of service.  For example, despite its size the Marriott World in Orlando was overall very good to me, the Marriott Tyson's Corner is simply the best.  I have to go to Albany, NY and the Marriott Albany has been consistently poor.  At least they are consistent.  The front desk staff never upgrades, never ever ever gives you a free voucher for breakfast (nor tells you they do or do not participate in free breakfasts for Plats on weekends).  I was checking in behind a Gold and he got an upgrade to a suite on the Concierge. I got no upgrade.  And, you know, that is fine b/c i booked a specific room and i just wanted a bed - - but if the Alb Marriott wants to be a Marriott Rewards participant then buy into the program.

Having given you those two contrasts, I recently joined SPG because Marriott I'm finding is expensive for the inconsistent service received and while this files in the face of my advise to you on MR and product delivery property to property, i was wondering what SPG is like.  I hit Plat last year and Im 2 days shy of Gold and have enough travel in August through December to again hit Plat.  But, I don't see any real benefit to "plat" level in service between that and Gold level.  So, Im going to go to Gold and check out SPG.  I know Sheraton price point is lower - i.e. the Westin tends to price below a comparable full service Marriott in a similar location.  So, the real challenge is to see how quickly i can add up my points and my status with SPG and what i get in return.

Im told SPG moves you up faster and so on.   I calculated that I spent over 27,000 dollars at Marriott just in 2011 for hotel stays alone and I get a bottle of beer and nuts or 500 points at check in with no upgrade, generally speaking.  So, I wonder what 75 nights and maybe 20,000 at SPG will get me between now and a year from now?

One thing that Marriott is good at is the points that you have.  I used to be a Hilton Honors participant for over 7 years before Marriott.  Marriott makes it very easy to convert those points to stays.  Last year they had a lot of promos that would allow you to earn additional points for stays - but that was greatly diminished this year.

Many folks like Hilton Honors, though I have never been particularly impressed.

At one point Sheraton when owned by ITT was nice, but after ITT was very unpredicatble.

What is SPG?

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

SPG is Starwood Preferred Guests -- and is a very good program.     I switched from Hilton Honors to Marriott Rewards last year as booking reward nights via Hilton was just too "costly" in points.    Hilton combines with the Waldorf Astoria brand and I prefer the Marriott Ritz Carltons if I can occasionally go the luxury route.   So far, very happy with Marriott.

Agreed!

Too busy traveling to worry about the promotions, and basically you can buy extra points cheaper than many of the promotions.  If my travel choices happen to get me more, great, and if not too bad. Sometimes I am even unable to use what I get, like those Cat 1-4 free stays.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...