12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2012 3:33 PM by pluto77 RSS

Paris availability

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Now that I have the dates for next summers journey to Paris, I'm finding that the week  that I want to check into La Defense (June 15-20) is showing "Not Available For Check-in" although the week before and after are coming up with availability. As the reservation window neared I looked at the site everyday but it never showed availability even once.

Is it possible that it sold out even before rooms were to be made available to the public?

If I can't get in there I'll have to divert to Rive Gauche.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris
  • Re: Paris availability
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Mike,

This is pretty normal and can drive you crazy!  Why not book a room as if you were paying, keep trying to book on points and when you finally get the room booked on points, cancel or change the previous reservation.  I has worked for me every time.  Lastly, contact "The hot line" on a regular basis as well.  This too has worked for me.  They have some "Magic" that just might work for you.  Good luck.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

That's part of the problem Jerry, I can't even make a revenue reservation. My plan is to use points for one room and pay for the other and I can't do either.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Mike, Try calling the platinum reservation line.

I already spoke to customer service and they reported that there is some kind of meeting going on those days, whether it's a major business or government gathering, they couldn't say. The CSR did give me the email address of the GM of the hotel and I wrote him.

Even if I can get an override, it sounds like the hotel will very busy for that week so I'm wondering if I should check out Rive Gauche anyway. There have been mixed reviews here on the Insider so it may be a **** shoot.

Just curious why the Rive Gauche.  Have you thought about the new Paris Courtyard Boulogne or the Ren Arc de Triomphe?

Having been to Paris many times before, I don't see the need to use a lot of points at a CAT 8 property anymore. Add to the mix that I'll be paying for one of the two rooms.

The Courtyard is a little off the beaten path and I want a hotel that has a lounge for breakfast and snacks, so that's why I feel the La Defense and Rive Gauche fits the bill.

I see.  I feel the same about not seeing the need for the extra expense.  As far as Rive Gauche, have you heard any other negative remarks besides the ones from myself and ProfC?  Because my complaint (the hot room) may have been an isolated thing.  The room was small, but in Paris, what's new?  ProfC was disappointed because she didn't feel respected as a Platinum Elite guest when they wanted to charge her for an upgrade when staying on points, I believe (and I don't think they were kind about it if I remember correctly.)  She had previous stays there that she said were good.  And others have provided favorable feedback.  Mainly the reason I will probably not stay there anytime soon is that there are a couple of other Paris properties (the Boulogne being one, the Ren AdT being another) that I would like to try in the meantime.  And I really did enjoy the Ren La Def.  The location was different; a nice change, it was fun to see it all, and it is a fast RER A train ride to CDG etoile or Chatelet.  I do hope you get the LD, but if not, I don't think you need worry about the RG.

The problems that the Professor cited are my chief concerns, but like you said, there have been other favorable reviews.

It appears the decision has been made for me. All of the hotels are now locked up tight for the week that I need, that is, most are no longer offering Reward stays and some of those are even sold out of revenue rooms so something's telling me there's a big meeting taking place that week all over the city.

Just to play it safe I reserved at the Courtyard Boulonge. The description and review are very good but it's an awful lot of stops on the Metro to central Paris and I fear getting downtown will take an hour. That kind of puts a damper on things if I want to go back to the room for a couple of hours in the middle of the day.

This veteran  traveler played by the rules but got shut out.

c'est la vie

Mike, I feel your pain.  Have you used the Itineraire tool on the Plan Interactif on ratp.fr website?  Plan Interactif des transports en Ile-de-France   If so, sorry for bothering you with what you already know (I know you're a Paris veteran.)  If not, it's pretty cool.  Here are some times for you.  I looked them up at the current date/time (about 9pm Wed. in Paris).  I didn't look up all of the stops below from La Def, just a few to sort of compare.  I went a little overboard, but I was just having some fun with the tool.

Boulogne-Jean-Jaures - FDR                                        20 min.

Boulogne-Jean-Jaures - Charles de Gualle-Etoile          23 min.

Boulogne-Jean-Jaures - Champ de Mars                    17 min. from La Def, 18 mins.

Boulogne-Jean-Jaures - Concorde                              21 min.

Boulogne-Jean-Jaures - Louvre                                   26 min.  from La Def, 17 mins.

Boulogne-Jean-Jaures - Cite                                        25 min.

Boulogne-Jean-Jaures - Luxembourg                         19 mins.

Boulogne-Jean-Jaures - Abbesses                              37 mins.  from La Def, 23 mins.

Boulogne-Jean-Jaures - Opera                                   26 mins.

Boulogne-Jean-Jaures - Republique                             31 mins.

Maybe it won't be that bad.  When we stayed at Rive Gauche, while it wasn't as convenient as the C/E or the Vendome, it wasn't bad.  The 6 line wasn't that busy.  Maybe the 10 line won't be that busy either.  Metro convenience also depends on time of day.  I've been on between 5pm-8pm, and the trains are packed so tight you practically can't breathe, which can be miserable.  As you know, line 1 runs along the main axis of the city, so it can get reeeally crowded at certain times.  Well, it will be an adventure.  Is this the kids first time?

Oddly enough I was playing with that site not more than 15 minutes ago.

I guess in the end I'll save a lot by staying there and will just have to make the best of it.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the GM of La Defense, on the outside chance that he will override the system and allow me in.

This will be my teens second trip to Paris. The first was two years ago when we stayed at the CE.

I hope he'll take good care of you.  Maybe you should drop jerrycoin's name!  If it doesn't work out there, maybe you guys could take a trip out there, just for fun.  It's kind of neat, the Grand Arch.  And you could go in and have lunch at La Brasserie at the hotel.  Maybe they'll give you a 10% discount or something else nice if you tell them you're a Platinum and how hard you tried to stay there.

You've probably chosen June since the kids are still in school, oui?

Anyway, I wish you the best.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...